Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
SpecialK and jamesm007, I thought you guys were customers??
Your comments change nothing I posted. I simply point out that some customers go on and on, beyond the "we're sorry" stage, which elicits other answers that can be interpreted in many ways. And yeah, I'm a CS manager as well as customer, so I know both sides.

10-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rubbertoe Quote
I am very easily swayed by bad news indeed
I don't mean to sound a Pentax fanboy. But just swing by some of the dpr Canon or Nikon forums from time to time, or enter something like 'D7000 problems' or '7D problems' into Google, and you will get exposed to a mountain of gripes about those systems too. It's easy to believe only Pentax has the problems, but it isn't so.
10-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #78

That is why I am not purchasing a D7000 either, since Nikon is my other system. I simply will not spend over $1,200+ on a DSLR that has more than average potential to have warranty issues in the first year I have it. None if my other DSLR's were that problematic during all the time I have had them and I use them all the time.

Tom
10-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Your comments change nothing I posted. I simply point out that some customers go on and on, beyond the "we're sorry" stage, which elicits other answers that can be interpreted in many ways. And yeah, I'm a CS manager as well as customer, so I know both sides.
Yes, I got that impression form your post. What you said is very true so I wasn't trying to change or minimize what you said, just expand on why customers do it. My customer service career started in servicing-- professional & photofinishing equipment (film) in the field. I was very fortunate to work with the people who used my companies equipment before I moved on to in-house service engineering and other service positions.

Some service techs and service managers do need a wake-up call to do their job right. Their not all the same. I have never met a customer that didn't prefer the truth about a "product problem" or "bad repair" as long as the conversation ended with " this is what I am going to do to get you fixed". I also know if a customer gets some DA excuse-it gonna piss them off---It would me. Hope this clarifies.

I should add, to keep things in perspective, that I just got my K5 and a DA 12-24 back form CRIS last Friday for multiple known K5 problems (typical kind of lens problem also) and the tech did an outstanding job. My camera really benefited from a AF adjustment/mirror overrun repair/front e-dial repair/new LR button-modified/shutter button switch cleaned/ cleaned a spot off my VF focus screen/upgraded firmware. It was only in their shop 7 days and they shipped it back in a brand new box fully cushioned correctly. Good Repair. Now I have the K5 I was expecting when I bought it. Best I always use a camera strap--don't want to drop it now!!

Last edited by jcp5; 10-12-2011 at 04:49 AM.
10-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #80
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
random question, perhaps a lil offtopic?

with all this issues with K-5 (i know there are heaps of a-ok K-5 out there), what was it like compared when K-7 came out?

My girlfriend is looking into getting a K-5, I'm saying for for it, but there's been heaps of topic regarding to K-5 something going wrong with it. Great Camera though apart from its issues.
10-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So was the Edsel a great car.
10-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
UPDATE: CRIS is shipping my K-5 back...3rd time lucky??? They say it had a "component failure"
Here are the messages I got from CRIS:

CRIS WorkOrder No : x
Submitter's Message : The repairs have been completed and will ship today via UPS 2nd day. To track the shipping status please see your new repair number x. The tracking information will be posted after 5pm this evening.

We apologize for the issues you have encountered with service to your unit.

Please feel free to contact us at x if you should have any additonal questions or concerns.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

Not much info given. So I asked them to give me some info on what was repaired. This was the reply:

Submitter's Message : There was a Component Failure. We replaced the inner body component including the photo sensor block, reset all circuitry and updated firmware, cleaned and checked all functions.

Again we apologize for any incovenince this may have caused you.

Not sure what all this really means re: my camera and its future reliability..."inner body component" "photo sensor block" GULP!

I am going to post a new topic regarding what this means. I am tired of asking CRIS questions. K5 should be back in my hands in 2 days...

10-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SaikouShadou Quote
random question, perhaps a lil offtopic?

with all this issues with K-5 (i know there are heaps of a-ok K-5 out there), what was it like compared when K-7 came out?

My girlfriend is looking into getting a K-5, I'm saying for for it, but there's been heaps of topic regarding to K-5 something going wrong with it. Great Camera though apart from its issues.
The K7 had one operational issue when it came out which affected how the AF sensors were chosen. Pentax fixed it within a few days, literally, with a firmware fix, and other than some high ISO noise, it is a great camera.
K7s have been a remarkably robust camera.
I am very surprised at how bad the K5 is, considering that it shares the same chassis as the K7. The number of failures of parts that should be shared between the two cameras (lens release, various buttons) is unfathomable.
I can understand the sensor issue and the AF issue, as these are new components for the K5, but everything else should be solid, and it just isn't.
10-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Ive seen loads of posts on this forum wondering why pentax is no longer a market leader in its field as it once was...Im sure there's a lot of reasons , but issues like this cant help it much, I jumped ship because of K5 problems, ive seen others not buy a k5 and invest in pentax because of these very issues.

Ive also wondered when the K7 was so well put together..how on earth could the same company get this one so wrong, a almost identical body .

I also agree that other manufacturers get it wrong too...but that still doesn't help pentax.

glad to see the OP will have his camera back soon...
10-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #85
Veteran Member

The K-7 wasn't problem free, I thnik we're idealising that camera; I recall it dropping lens release buttons too and the posts around shutter blur and noise at 800ISO+ numbered in the many hundreds. My K-5 is trouble-free, I've put 7,000 shots on it in 2 1/2 months and it hasn't missed a beat.
10-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax QC has been bad for the last decade or so alright, but seems even worse with the K-r & K-5. Firing too many experienced engineers? Cost cutting in the factories? I would only guess HOYA didn't really care and just kept it afloat until the next buyer. I am pessimistic but I think the worst day of Pentax camera division is gone with Ricoh behind the helm now. We will see.
10-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The K-7 wasn't problem free, I thnik we're idealising that camera; I recall it dropping lens release buttons too and the posts around shutter blur and noise at 800ISO+ numbered in the many hundreds. My K-5 is trouble-free, I've put 7,000 shots on it in 2 1/2 months and it hasn't missed a beat.
No one is idealizing anything. I seriously don't recall reading the sheer volume of complaints, and the number of different ones from the K7. The fact is, the K7 was a much more reliable camera, whether or not it was completely problem free.
10-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #88
Inactive Account

I wonder how many people who don't read internet forums never realize what pieces of garbage their cameras are...

10-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I wonder how many people who don't read internet forums never realize what pieces of garbage their cameras are...

if their buttons fall off, or a mirror flops or a sensor is stained or it has focusing problems in low light ..I expect they would !...
10-12-2011, 04:00 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Quite right. Many fewer people actually bought the K7, since it wasn't really an upgrade from the K20 -- more a side step that included video. Still, the shutter blur issue was something that effected a lot of cameras when shooting between 1/50 and 1/100 second and Pentax never fixed it.

I think there are many more K5s sold than there were K7s sold and so more problems have come out that were probably there in the K7 design. The lens release button in particular, is the same between the two cameras.

For the OP, I truly hope it is fixed this time and you can have fun shooting without problems.