Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #91
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
if their buttons fall off, or a mirror flops or a sensor is stained or it has focusing problems in low light ..I expect they would !...
I'm not talking about the people who have legitimate problems, such as the Psychdoc. I'm talking about the people who buy the camera, have working copies, and are completely happy with them. Then again, I guess that's too much to say that anyone could possibly be happy with such a POS.

10-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm not talking about the people who have legitimate problems, such as the Psychdoc. I'm talking about the people who buy the camera, have working copies, and are completely happy with them. Then again, I guess that's too much to say that anyone could possibly be happy with such a POS.

Every K5 owner has a potential time bomb on their hands that could go off with no warning and render the camera relatively inoperable.
While I happen to have one of the K5s that has been problem free, I'm not overly happy about knowing that at any moment an important button could pop off the camera leaving with the inability to change lenses.
10-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #93
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Every K5 owner has a potential time bomb on their hands that could go off with no warning and render the camera relatively inoperable.
While I happen to have one of the K5s that has been problem free, I'm not overly happy about knowing that at any moment an important button could pop off the camera leaving with the inability to change lenses.
i was thinking the same, wouldn't want my gf to get an awesome camera, only for it to fail.

But I'm sure there are heaps of K-5 out there that are a-ok.

btw thank you guys for answering my k-7 k-5 question.

hope the OP gets their camera soon, ready for action =)
10-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #94
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So does every K10/K20/K7/Kx/Kr/K100/K200/K2000/Km/*ist/*istDS, Nikon/Canon/Sony/Olympus/ etc owner. Gadgets fail. I accept that I have a camera that Could have a problem. Rather than waste time worrying about it, I prefer to just enjoy the camera. My First copy was stained, and replaced by Pentax. The second copy, 8,600 shots in, is fine. The stains appeared on my first one at about 3000 shutter count. If something goes wrong, I'll be upset about it. I will also get more than my $20 worth out of that extended warranty I bought, and move on.

My original question was (rephrased) How many people who Do Not read Internet Forums are worried that they have 'a potential time bomb on their hands'. To read this one, and I imagine DPR, the camera is garbage, Pentax should be tarred and feathered in the public square for daring to market such a POS. CRIS should be forced out of business for Their refusal to Replace On Demand broken cameras. The resellers should be marched straight to hell for continuing to sell the camera. I mean if the entire Pentax purchasing community is here at PentaxForums (for instance) then I don't know how Pentax as a brand still exists or why anyone would want to purchase the brand (Ricoh).

We can blame HoyaTax QC all we want but the fact is, Out of the box, most of us had Working, in tact, fully functional Cameras. Even you, who says he has one of the 'Original K5s', states multiple times, no problems so far. Yet, instead of just enjoying the camera, continue to complain that something Might happen to it. Well, I guess if you don't use it, Nothing Will happen to it.

10-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #95

The darn lens release button is a shame. It's no excuse for that to fall even on 1 camera. This is supposed to be precision and complex equipment. If something mechanical and simple fails, how can you trust the more complex things inside to work on long term?

it's like buying a car model you know it had on few problems with ignition key part falling inside the car, so that you can't make it work. And you are supposed to plan few long trips with that...i guess that builds a lot of confidence.

K-5 will have crap resale value too in time, due to this "reputation". The very long service time for simple things like lens button replacement indicate for me that the camera was rushed on the market and they had no clue those things would happen. So it makes it very hard to believe official statements like "we fixed this and that".
10-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #96
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
If something mechanical and simple fails, how can you trust the more complex things inside to work on long term?
Well sometimes the simple things fail before the complex do. I was flying Singapore Air last month to Frankfurt. The bloody simple main voltage powerpoint for charging my laptop failed; Was I worried the engines may fail also any minute? NO!

Greetings
10-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
The darn lens release button is a shame. It's no excuse for that to fall even on 1 camera. This is supposed to be precision and complex equipment. If something mechanical and simple fails, how can you trust the more complex things inside to work on long term?
The big deal for me is that while stuff that one would expect to fail (the new high tech stuff) has shown a propensity for having problems of some sort, the stuff that they have absolutely no excuse for not getting right is failing.
Fer lords sake, how hard can it be to design buttons that won't fall off?
I can work around sensor stains if I have to, and I can work around bad AF (I've been doing it for years with Pentax anyway, the K5 was just a different kind of bad), but I can't work around the failure of a simple mechanical part such as a lens release which should never, ever fail.
It's not like as if it's some sort of experimental technology or something.

QuoteQuote:
it's like buying a car model you know it had on few problems with ignition key part falling inside the car, so that you can't make it work. And you are supposed to plan few long trips with that...i guess that builds a lot of confidence.
For a while when I was younger, I owned a nineteen seventy something Triumph Trident motorcycle. The farhtest I would take it from home was somewhat under a half tank of gas because once I managed to get it running I didn't dare shut it down for fear of it stranding me.
My Isuzu Trooper was the same way. It suffered from sudden and catastrophic starter motor failure.
These are the things that chase customers away.
QuoteQuote:
K-5 will have crap resale value too in time, due to this "reputation". The very long service time for simple things like lens button replacement indicate for me that the camera was rushed on the market and they had no clue those things would happen. So it makes it very hard to believe official statements like "we fixed this and that".
I've never been worried about resale value, I tend to keep last year's camera as a back up to this years camera. Because of the K5's lack of dependability, I'll be hanging on to my K7 for a while longer after the next great camera hits the shelves.
For me, the K5 will likely be good for Ricoh, as I'll probably buy 2 next camera rather than one just to have a reliable back up.
My K5 works well at the moment, but I don't trust it to keep working well.
10-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Being in the repair industry I've seen many peoples opinion of "1 Careful owner"

I've seen people pinging button releases (floppy drives) such that they ping across the floor having snapped their locking catch.

The perpetrator also say how can XXXX not be able to keep buttons on their products.

Without evidence to the contrary I don't get het up about forum generated hysteria

Unless I'm directly affected (like the stain), For me its all just so much smoke with no evidence of fire.

The k7 and k5 bodies are identical from the same manufacturing source and same plastic molds the whole idea one fails and one doesn't is frankly ludicrous and I refuse to believe it.

10-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
The k7 and k5 bodies are identical from the same manufacturing source and same plastic molds the whole idea one fails and one doesn't is frankly ludicrous and I refuse to believe it.
While the designs might be identical, the parts might be sourced from different factories and so the quality vary. The truth is the lens release button has been around for so many decades and never had problem until the K-5. Something is not right.
10-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #100
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
While the designs might be identical, the parts might be sourced from different factories and so the quality vary. The truth is the lens release button has been around for so many decades and never had problem until the K-5. Something is not right.
Why would you say that? As far as I can tell (I own both cameras) the bodies are exactly identical. Making something up about "out sourcing" and "quality variance" is pure speculation. My speculation is just that there are more K5s sold than there were K7s sold and so certain issues have been uncovered that were present in the K7 as well.
10-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Why would you say that? As far as I can tell (I own both cameras) the bodies are exactly identical. Making something up about "out sourcing" and "quality variance" is pure speculation. My speculation is just that there are more K5s sold than there were K7s sold and so certain issues have been uncovered that were present in the K7 as well.
Of course I was speculating or we won't have any discussion. However, out sourcing is standard business and nobody makes all the parts (or even most) themselves. Companies designed the parts then let somebody else manufactured. It is quite common the same parts might come from different factories between batches based on mostly cost. Often the same part from different batches might be different in less than 0.01mm but enough to cause failure in some cases. Who knows what really happened to the K-5 button but this might be one of the reason, or maybe not.
10-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Why? Because it's not uncommon practice at all, and because the number of issues with K5s seem to far outweigh the reported numbers for K7s. It's not like there aren't many members with K7s or K20s - how many reports of losing lens release buttons are there for all other Pentax DSLRs besides the K5?

Some few pieces like the retaining ring are standard parts, and could have been sourced nearly anywhere. I can tell you there are different tolerances as well as strengths in even such a simple part - take a look at the nuts and bolts department of a hardware store - you'll see multiple grades of bolts, so they may well have gotten a batch of under-specced (weaker, looser fitting) parts from a supplier.

There is also difference in assembly and manufacturing. Going back a few years between different Intel fabrication plants for chips, odds were much better on overclocking stability for chips out of a few fabrication plants, and with specific batches. Variance in parts, in manufacturing, in assembly, in testing, can all lead to a more reliable, or less reliable, one.

It's too bad - someone from Pentax could shed some light as to if the parts, assembly, manufacturing are actually from a single source or not.
10-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #103
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE:

Got my K-5 back [again] from CRIS repair.

Have not had time to take many pics. Busy today.
But I put the battery in, said a silent prayer and took a few shots in each of the modes. So far so good...

Tommorow, I have to take some pics for a fund raiser in an old folks home, where there is going to be dances by various groups from different countries/cultures in some bad lighting on a small stage. Just what I need the K5 for! Next week, I will be travelling and should put it to more good work in the Florida panhandle. But I dont trust it well enough, so I will take my old K2000 along as a backup:ugh:.

Thanks everyone for all the advice etc. Will update if things go well or bad.
10-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #104
Inactive Account

Best wishes Psychdoc, hope it stays fixed for a long time. Thanks for posting your progress.
10-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/156469-...ml#post1632312