Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I spoke with CRIS technician.

He said he was not the person who repaired it. But that he was the main engineer and trains all the people. He said the person who did the repair has been with them 18 years and has not had any significant issues.

He was not sure why the firmware came back with 1.02. He said that all firmware is supposed to be updated to the latest one. He said it went through their QA before being sent out. All he could say was that it had to have been working prior to being sent out.
He said he was the supervisor and they did not have anyone else higher I could speak to. He said he did not have the camera in hand and based on the problems he could not correct it over the phone. He would send me a UPS label to mail it back and they would put it on priority.
He said he would call back within 15minutes after he spoke with customer representative to make sure that they email a mailing label today. He did call back within a few minutes to say he did that. He was polite but not apologetic. He could not guarantee that the camera would be replaced vs repaired. The shipping label came by email within a few minutes. This may not be entirely CRIS issue as primarily a Pentax one???

This is my SECOND K5...[My old K2000 is chugging along fine. Never has had any problems. Its no good in low light and terrible for sports shooting but it is a low end model and it does what its supposed to do].

I am stuck with this expensive camera. If this third go-around is not satisfactory, I am wondering how expensive changing systems is? Anybody done that? All of my equipment is listed in my signature. How much would I get for it? Ballpark amount? All in excellent condition and pretty new. 2009 is the oldest.

10-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I feel your frustration but there are no guarentee's another system will be flawless either. Hopefully it will come back in perfect condition and you'll enjoy it for years. As for the value of your equipmnet check the market place for similar lenses you got some decent glass there total probably ball park $1500 - $2000 or so.
10-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Man what a muster cluck.... they should take care of it. That is weird. Sent mine in and haven't had a moments problem with it since. Excellent ++++ service in Japan.
10-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #34
Forum Member

What's the serial number and manufacturing date?

10-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #35

psychdoc - The important thing is you called CRIS on their really shoddy effort for your particular K5 repair and they are sending you a mailing label/expediting your repair. I think they will be a little more serious this time and make sure it is repaired properly and you should be fine. (hopefully).

Reality Check - Most of what the CRIS person told you was a bunch of BS. All he needed to say was " I am very sorry,I am sending you a shipping label,we will make this right for you and will expedite your repair". Instead you got the
"big spin" . No big deal because you got about as much of a response as any service center will give you these days and when it goes through their supposed QA checkout they won't use their "magic wand" this time. CRIS packages and ships cameras back to customers every day and unless you saw physical damage to your shipping box I highly doubt that caused your camera failure. When the "18 years with CRIS" tech replaced that ckt bd he should know to upgrade the firmware first then do the required adjustments. This is a very basic thing he did not do. As individual customers we do not have allot of options in these situations, as long as the service provider has not abandoned the repair, but hopefully they will do a good job this time or just replace your camera.

Let us know how you make out when you get your camera back and have a chance to check it out. Good luck.

Last edited by jcp5; 10-05-2011 at 11:20 AM.
10-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #36
Inactive Account

I'm thinking the same thing. My BS detected flag is waving high in the air here. I don't believe for one minute the camera was working when it left the shop. While it is on Pentax to deliver a quality product (working the first time), CRIS is a third party service center. Mistakes can, have, do, and will happen. It's just unfortunate.

10-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm wondering if CRIS isn't getting tired of dealing with these cameras, and is either getting a bit sloppy or perhaps a bit overwhelmed by the volume they must be getting back..

10-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
I spoke with CRIS technician.
I am stuck with this expensive camera. If this third go-around is not satisfactory, I am wondering how expensive changing systems is? Anybody done that? All of my equipment is listed in my signature. How much would I get for it? Ballpark amount? All in excellent condition and pretty new. 2009 is the oldest.
I changed systems due to the unreliable AF that my K5 had..I went to Nikon, I bought a used D300s body a new 70-200 F2.8 and now own a 17-35 F2.8

I was lucky that my camera store gave me a full refund for my K5 , they were aware of my issues from day one, while we all waited with baited breath for the firmware fix, that didn't work for me....

in your situation I would try for a full refund of the K5 ...then try and sell the lens online

my step into the Nikon didn't cost me much more , and its a very reliable camera, not as good in low light as the K5..but it doesnt break !!

also the Nikon flash system is great.

after being away from the forum for a few months, its sad to see another list of issues the K5 owners are enduring from mirror flops and shutter buttons falling off. seems the list is getting longer and longer for K5 problems .

my Nikon gear is heavy and expensive but just works....
10-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm wondering if CRIS isn't getting tired of dealing with these cameras, and is either getting a bit sloppy or perhaps a bit overwhelmed by the volume they must be getting back..
It could be getting to that point.
No matter what the pay is, at some stage, you hit the threshold of not caring.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-05-2011 at 05:35 PM.
10-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #40
Veteran Member

C.R.I.S Camera service is one of the most respected service centers in the USA. They have an A+ rating with the BBB, with only 3 resolved complaints. CRIS repairs cameras according to how Pentax tells them, like all repair centers they have service manuals and guidelines. Hoya is the root cause IMO not CRIS.

My K20D just got repaired in less than a week. Ricoh, Sigma, Sony and many others use CRIS. They are professional the man speaking should solve the problem but not apologize. Cameras don't leave CRIS not working! Why would they do that just to have it come back? Pentax/Hoyas parts probably failed IMO.

Does not anyone think Hoya/Pentax should have apologized or Pentax apologize now for the poor QC? And then do something for their customers? Don't blame CRIS, they don't want cameras coming back.

There is a lot of evidence on this forum/site that Hoya/Pentax gave their customers a lot of BS and took the cash and ran. CRIS can't repair cameras with sub-par parts from Pentax. Look at the front of your camera and who made it and the model it is.

Has anyone read of all these problems with any other camera or bad service before the K-5, all the time like here on the K-5 forum? Funny Hoya knew Pentax was being sold when it was building the K-5s. Its so many complaints I start thinking maybe its other companies trying to hurt Pentax with bogus posters (no offense anyone)... Don't know what to think.

Last edited by jamesm007; 10-05-2011 at 07:57 PM.
10-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Don't know if I was lucky to find this forum a few days ago or unlucky! I was ready to buy a k5 and had decided on the 16-50 lens. Now every time I take a look here, some one new is posting with problems that should not be there on a new $1200 body, and amazon reviews are not real good concerning the lens.
I think I must stop before I buy these because of the likleyhood I will be in for rounds of returning them. Much as I wanted the k5 I am probably going to buy a Nikon d7000 or spring for the sony a77 if I can wait for it. Thanks to you members who have responded to my newbie posts.
10-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Cameras don't leave CRIS not working!
But it arrived not working. So the repair must have failed during transport.
Other repair centres such as the one in my hometown don't seem to have this problem. Perhaps PENTAX gives them better spare parts and instructions?

Greetings
10-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #43
Veteran Member

No other company in the USA can work on Pentax cameras except C.R.I.S.. They can but CRIS is the official repair center who gets all the info and parts from Pentax. Other companies would not be able to do warranty repairs and get parts at no cost. They would have to buy the parts and charge the customers. CRIS has been thee best service center for years. There is a reason Sigma uses them and many other before Pentax and why they have a remarkable rating from the BBB. The issues all seem to be with the K-5, now thats strange. Never read of a K10D coming back not working, or any other camera.
10-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Like almost every corporation in the USA, Pentax USA outsources to a private entity like CRIS undertake repairs to cut cost and save money. It seems like this is endemic of the US. Where I am, repairs gets sent direct to Japan and there is very little if any such problems when it comes back.
10-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Cameras don't leave CRIS not working! Why would they do that just to have it come back?
Yet this one obviously left CRIS with a several versions-old firmware. By the head guy's own admission, that proves that 1) CRIS's own repair procedures were not followed, and 2) CRIS's QA procedure is flawed. Your assertion that CRIS successfully repaired this camera is ludicrous, at best.