Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HELP! HELP! K5 not working/back from CRIS

Got my K5 back from CRIS camera after about 6 weeks. It was sent in b.c the camera shutter seemed stuck and would stay frozen even after swapping batteries out. They said they "replaced the PCB/FPC".

But the camera is NOT working properly.

1. The shutter speed stays stuck at 1/8000.
In Av mode, whether I put it at f2.8 or f32 the shutter speed does not change. All I get is a black image on playback.

2. The shutter speed still stays at 1/8000 in P mode and Av at 1/32 no matter whether I point it into the darkness and AF assist beam comes on or whether I point it in to sunlight. If I place it on Sv with ISO 12, 800 or ISO 100 the shutter speed and Fstop still does not change.

3. I tried to shoot in LV focusing instead, the camera is taking pictures then and the exposures are changing accordingly in different modes...

Tell me I am doing something wrong, or that some setting was inadvertently changed by the technicican. Or am I finished with this camera. This is the second time I have had to send this to CRIS. The first time for freezing and stains, the second time for teh shutter problem. And just got it back an hour ago.

10-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

I am sorry for your trouble.

Let me point to the obvious:

(a) Did you try the Green dial mode? Any different?

(b) When you press the Green button, what does happen ?

(c) I assume that you have a AF lens on (eg kit lens) and that your SD card is working properly. Correct?
10-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I am sorry for your trouble.

Let me point to the obvious:

(a) Did you try the Green dial mode? Any different?

(b) When you press the Green button, what does happen ?

(c) I assume that you have a AF lens on (eg kit lens) and that your SD card is working properly. Correct?
Green mode: no different. The settings do not change. 1/8000 and f32. Black image on playback.

Yes. It is an AF lens. Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens, I tried the DA 70mm, no different. Other than the max Av changes to f22. Tried 2 different SD cards, no difference....
10-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Did you go through the menus and reset everything?

The only problem I ever had with mine (wouldn't play back images on instant review), that cured it. Worth a shot anyway,.

10-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Did you go through the menus and reset everything?
Yes. Did not make a difference.
10-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try a non A lens or one w/ap ring?
10-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
Try a non A lens or one w/ap ring?
Yikes! I am not sure what that is. I only have the lenses listed in my signature. I think these are non A lenses and w/ap rings...
10-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Yikes! I am not sure what that is. I only have the lenses listed in my signature. I think these are non A lenses and w/ap rings...
Take one of your lenses with an aperture ring off of the A position and select a different aperture (M mode on the camera) such as f2.8 or f4 and press the green button. The camera will not know what the aperture of the lens is and it is supposed to force the camera meter to center the exposure.

10-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Take one of your lenses with an aperture ring off of the A position and select a different aperture (M mode on the camera) such as f2.8 or f4 and press the green button.
I dont think any of my lenses have an A position. As far as I know they are only in older lenses? No Pentax users anywhere around I could borrow one from either...
10-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I am not sure of the steps to view the firmware version but maybe try to start the camera while pressing the menu button ( I believe that is the way)...might be in some debug mode from the service center.
10-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I dont think any of my lenses have an A position. As far as I know they are only in older lenses? No Pentax users anywhere around I could borrow one from either...
I am in Baldwin Cnty if you need one...
10-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
Inactive Account

If your lens has an aperture ring it has an A position otherwise you would be shooting Wide Open all the time in any mode but M (on the camera). See the attachment below.

Attached Images

10-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your Tamron 28-75 lens has one..
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Take one of your lenses with an aperture ring off of the A position and select a different aperture (M mode on the camera) such as f2.8 or f4 and press the green button. The camera will not know what the aperture of the lens is and it is supposed to force the camera meter to center the exposure.

Whew. Found the A position on tamron 28-75 lens. I put it on 2.8, Manual Mode. Aperture shows F-- and by changing the shutter speed and ISO I can get it to take pictures. Changing it back to A position and I am back in the same boat. Still unable to take pics with lens that dont have the A ring.

Now what does all this mean?

[Thanks Rolls-up. Thanks bogiesbad also. I dont have to drive out there]
10-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

What ISO are you set at?