Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 experience

Apologies if this has already been covered but a recent experience(s) prompts me to make this post in the hope that my issues may assist others.

1. Bought a Kingston card on Ebay ....worked fine for a hundred or so shots then started giving error messages when down loading; eventually froze the camera. Replaced card....no more problems. Ebay cards now in trash.

2. At the same time I bought a non Pentax grip, with two extra batteries. Tested this before leaving on this current trip and all worked well. While in the US I bought some Eveready Lithium batteries and put in the grip (assigned the grip as the primary source), into the second full day of shooting the camera froze. Removed grip, took out main battery as well and put it all back and away we went again...all good....for an hour or so
And it froze again.....this time had a close look at the AA lithiums and noticed they were 4X Lithiums, not the 8X I normally buy (memo to buyer: beware; read label!!)...in fact I was not aware there was different Lithiums, which I checked out at the next Walmart, and sure enough, there are !

Anyway, removed battery again, left grip in the bag and all has worked as it should for the last three weeks. I will experiment further when i get home,(preferring to leave well enough alone whilst travelling), but my un-educated guess is that the power drop from 4X lithiums in the grip are the source of my freeze ups.

I think its called living & learning

Hope that helps some one else who may have experienced similar issues.
Cheers

10-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Bought a Kingston card on Ebay
Probably not a good idea. I recall a recent post from Sandisk claiming something like 30% of the Sandisk SD cards on eBay were counterfeits. Same probably applies to any other name brand cards.

I know from personal experience that the same applies to Sony lithium batteries purchased on eBay, and JVC lithium batteries, and Hoya UV filters. Lots of phoney stuff is up on eBay
10-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry you had to go to a Walmart. Visitors to our country shouldn't have to see such a thing.
10-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I'm sorry you had to go to a Walmart. Visitors to our country shouldn't have to see such a thing.
Agreed. Anytime I'm in too good of a mood, I go to Wal-Mart so that I can despair over the state of humanity.

10-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Probably not a good idea. I recall a recent post from Sandisk claiming something like 30% of the Sandisk SD cards on eBay were counterfeits. Same probably applies to any other name brand cards.

I know from personal experience that the same applies to Sony lithium batteries purchased on eBay, and JVC lithium batteries, and Hoya UV filters. Lots of phoney stuff is up on eBay
There are even fakes on Amazon. I saw a store selling generic batteries as Pentax batteries on Amazon.
10-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Inactive Account

There seems to be a situation where the camera will not automatically switch from grip to body power if you have the grip first selected. I just leave mine on auto select. Never had a freeze. Sometimes however, I don't even run a body battery, just the one in the grip. This is a genuine grip and the proprietary batteries, not AAs.

10-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote

Oh its not that bad....actually like Walmart (as a buyer)...some of the stuff is unbelievably cheap compared to what we have to pay.

Example: in Australia a 4 pack of AA Lithiums (8X variety) are $20-22.....whereas an 8 pack at walmart is $17 -18 (plus tax......of course).

However I would not like walmart if I was a local retailer, they would be a hard act to compete against.

10-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There seems to be a situation where the camera will not automatically switch from grip to body power if you have the grip first selected. I just leave mine on auto select. Never had a freeze. Sometimes however, I don't even run a body battery, just the one in the grip. This is a genuine grip and the proprietary batteries, not AAs.

Thanks for that heads up Jeff, I will test that at home, still have the offending batteries in the grip.
10-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Agreed. Anytime I'm in too good of a mood, I go to Wal-Mart so that I can despair over the state of humanity.
Finally! People who feel the same way I do about Mall-Wart!! I thought I was the only wierdo who doesn't like to shop there and/or avoids it at all cost.
10-07-2011, 04:01 AM   #10

I lived in the States for 5 weeks last year and missed the opportunity of visiting Walmart.
I am surprised people do not like cheaper and competitive products.
Here in Australia, we get ripped off everyday from all supermarkets and shops and it is called 'business'. If there is a drop in price by the supermarket for one item, the government will step in and start a senate enquiry to see if the item is profitable to the primary producer. Petrol is US $1.50 per Litre or $5.67 per gallon in Australia.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Malle Boy.

Enjoy!
10-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The problems with Walmart are too numerous to mention. We wouldn't mind cheaper prices from ethical companies.
10-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
I lived in the States for 5 weeks last year and missed the opportunity of visiting Walmart.
I am surprised people do not like cheaper and competitive products.
Here in Australia, we get ripped off everyday from all supermarkets and shops and it is called 'business'. If there is a drop in price by the supermarket for one item, the government will step in and start a senate enquiry to see if the item is profitable to the primary producer. Petrol is US $1.50 per Litre or $5.67 per gallon in Australia.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Malle Boy.

Enjoy!
Of course we like cheaper prices, it's the soul-crushing experience you must endure to get those prices that make Wal-Mart a last resort for me. In my area, at least, Target has prices that are extremely competitive with Wal-Mart, but in attractive, upbeat, well-run stores. Not to sound snooty, but the clientele in Target is also much less scary. Seriously, spend a little time at peopleofwalmart.com and tell me you don't weep for humanity. Sorry for thread hi-jacking.
10-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Back on topic ...

I have experienced the same problems with a new class 10 card from a large local camera store. They sell rebranded Delkins as store brand. I had the same bad files, lost images, etc. Threw that card in the trash and replaced with Sandisk Extreme Pros and haven't had a bad read/write since. Once again, I relearned the old lesson that it pays to pay a bit more for quality stuff.
10-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Back on topic ...

I have experienced the same problems with a new class 10 card from a large local camera store. They sell rebranded Delkins as store brand. I had the same bad files, lost images, etc. Threw that card in the trash and replaced with Sandisk Extreme Pros and haven't had a bad read/write since. Once again, I relearned the old lesson that it pays to pay a bit more for quality stuff.
Agreed. SanDisk is the only brand I have used for years and the only one I will continue to use going forward. Never a single problem with them.