Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time Lapsed Photography with HDR

I ran across this site, and they had an instructional video - so I watched it. Low and behold the guy is extolling the virtues of the K7 in terms of its bracketing. He needs to get with the K5. If he can do this with the K7 - think about the K5's DR capability. Also, Pentax needs to leverage on this.....
Its the first video..
If you jump around the video - back to the beginning (@ 0.0) and out to near the end in a few places, you can see the final results (@ 14.50). It was interesting to me that the DoF coupled with the movement gave the final images a real 3D look and the wide dynamic range from the HDR just added to the entire shot.

What got me started was this thread over in the General Photography section. In the overview of how they did it, they indicated that a Canon 5DmkII was the preferred body. However, the K5 has a much wider dynamic range with the same depth of color. So just possibly the K5 with the auto bracketing explained and demonstrated above, (other than just the sheer size of the sensor) might just be a better platform

10-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a number of similar videos on both Vimeo and Youtube right now. The technique of timelapse is quite simple, anyone with a K5 or a Pentax Camera with a programmable shutter cord can do this. What makes the videos on his website standout above the rest is that he uses a six foot rail that automatically moves the camera in sequence with the shutter. The result is truly captivating. There are a couple of sites on youtube that show you how you can make your own set of rails, but rails that are programable are head and shoulders better than a manual set.
10-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

Thanks a lot :-) Now I have a whole new area to play with on my K5.

Seriously, following some of the links from yours, this site OpenMoCo | The Open-Source Photographic Motion-Control Community provides open source hw and sw using inexpensive Arduino controllers. They also have schematics for interfacing to the Pentax cameras via the circular connector. Making the rails can be done with many options, including square Al tubing found at Lowes and Home Depot etc. 8020 extrusions are nice but can be pricey.

Thanks to your link I also now can build my own timer system :-)

Gerrit
10-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm very seriously looking into doing this too. I would really like to know how he post processes a series of HDR bracketed photos, he must batch process them one would think?