Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

K-5 AF Frame - Is this mold ?

Hi there people,

I browsed a bit and searched a bit before posting but I'm not finding other people having the same issue I am. I have my K-5 since the month of June and everything was fine until the 1st of October. Today (the 9th), I took a couple of pictures and, behold, I have a spot (it kind of looks like mold) on the AF frame. I took a couple of pictures and that spot doesn't appear on the pictures. It's just there in the viewfinder. I changed lenses and nothing, it's still there. I'm including a pic (I know, it's not the sharpest of things, but it gives an idea of what I'm seeing), it's on the right side, just before the "]".

I was wondering if anybody had experienced this issue and what you did.

Many thanks and happy shootings

Attached Images

10-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could it just be dust? You could try blowing it out with a rocket blower. Hopefully not depositing it onto the sensor in the process
10-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mold isn't really an issue with focusing screens- you should try brushing it off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi there ihasa,

I'm such a newb :| I actually didn't think that it was dust because I had the dust reduction system on and it was there whether or not I turned the camera on... but I just followed your recommendation and it did the trick. It did move though so I definitely have a dust issue and I guess I can just take it to a store and get it cleaned.

Thank you ihasa

10-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RainStorm75 Quote
Hi there ihasa,

I'm such a newb :| I actually didn't think that it was dust because I had the dust reduction system on and it was there whether or not I turned the camera on... but I just followed your recommendation and it did the trick. It did move though so I definitely have a dust issue and I guess I can just take it to a store and get it cleaned.

Thank you ihasa
Dust reduction is for the sensor, not the focusing screen. They are in totally different places.
10-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
I guess I'm at the right place to learn.

Thank you alohadave.