Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

A possible strategy:

* Get the kit 18-55 and 55-300. I have reasons not to like that pairing, but they really are a steal of a deal. If you don't like the 55-300, it can be sold for a nice profit.
* Get a cheap used F35-70 to overlap the ranges of those two. (Main reason I don't like the twin-kit set is, I shoot a lot between 35-70 and I hate swapping lenses around 50mm.)
* Note at which focal lengths you shoot with the kit lenses. Then start saving up for faster lenses in those focal ranges.

I'm always glad to help you spend your money. Have fun!

10-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K5 is indeed good with slower lenses. How ever ,in order to match the build quality and WR of the body, the 16-50 and 60-250 would be on my priority list.
10-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
The K5 is indeed good with slower lenses. How ever ,in order to match the build quality and WR of the body, the 16-50 and 60-250 would be on my priority list.
Yep - that brings me right back to where I started. I had a recommendation in reply to my welcome post that instead of getting the 18-55 that I should spend the extra money and start out with the 16-50 WR. I do suspect that this zoom range, although obviously limited would be enough for me, at least to start. Back in my film days I did almost all of shooting with one normal lens and a couple of macros. I think that is my leading candidate right now. Start out with just one high quality zoom (16-50) and then get some limited primes and perhaps a long zoom if I find that I need it.

I appreciate the ideas. On other forums when someone asks me a question like this I have often thought, I can't tell you that - you need to decide for yourself. But when you are just starting to educate yourself, the insights of current owners can help you get there. Thanks for the ideas - I will post what I end up doing.

Jim
10-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in the same predicament that you're in all week. After much head banging and eye strain I ended up just buying the kit lens and DA 55-300mm. The kit lens is cheap and will always be nice to have around no matter what lenses you own due to its low cost and light weight. From all my reading the DA 55-300 is suppose to be a fantastic zoom for the money (although the price just went up) so I figured one way or another I'd eventually end up with one. After a couple months of shooting I figure I'll have a better idea of what I want. Most likely my next purchase will be the Tamron 17-50mm.

10-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think I may know what I want to do finally, at least to get started. I will probably just get the kit lens - as you said, it is cheap and gets decent reviews, so it seems worth having no matter what other lenses I end up with. After some use I will be able to decide if my next purchase will be to get the faster 16-50 or one of the longer zooms. As far as longer zooms, I don't know if I would rather have the 55-300mm or the 18-135 mm. I guess it depends on how much of a limitation I find the slower lens to be, versus the shorter zoom. I imagine that I will eventually have a nice collection of lenses, but that having the kit lens will give me one that I don't have to obsess about and which is small and light. I do a lot of hiking, so a convenient package is a plus for me.
10-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Hi Jim,
Get the kit lens if budget is tight initially. If you are planning to get 16-50 or Tamron(17-50- which produces sharper images at half the cost), then save your money and bypass the kit lens. I have my kit lens as a backup and have a prime on my camera most of the time. Occasionally i wish i have a f2.8 zoom.
All the best with your choice.

Cheers!
Enjoy photography!
10-18-2011, 04:09 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
Hi Jim,
Get the kit lens if budget is tight initially. If you are planning to get 16-50 or Tamron(17-50- which produces sharper images at half the cost), then save your money and bypass the kit lens. I have my kit lens as a backup and have a prime on my camera most of the time. Occasionally i wish i have a f2.8 zoom.
All the best with your choice.

Cheers!
Enjoy photography!
Thanks for the input - I was a very committed amateur film photographer back in the day and getting a good quality DSLR is my first move back into a hobby that I not only loved, but was actually pretty good at.

My initial budget could accommodate one of the better quality zooms - but there are so many choices that I am still not sure which one I should get, and I am more than ready to get my hands on a K-5! I read all the reviews of the 16-50 and I could afford that now, if I was sure that the quicker, quieter focus and faster lens made the big jump in cost worthwhile. I guess I need to think about that versus the Tamron 17-50 before I decide. So it is not really my budget that constrains my selection, more just not being able to determine which is my best choice.

All I probably want in the way of a zoom is a decent quality walkabout lens - two at the most. WR and reasonable size and weight would be top factors there for me, along with speed and IQ. I do a lot of outdoor shooting, so these are all important attributes for me. Ultimately I will want some good quality primes, but I would want some time with the K-5 before I started trying to figure out which ones.

10-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #23

Hi Jim,
I shoot wide open if i can in broad daylight. I have attached 2 images from Saturday with FA 31mm Ltd.

[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/34715611@N02/6256790779/in/set-72157627797574779[/IMG]

[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/34715611@N02/6257320780/in/set-72157627797574779/[/IMG]

As i have severe OCD, i may get Pentax 16-50mm. However, all the reviews on Tamron 17-50 make it hard to rule out Tamron as the other option.

Enjoy photography!
10-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
That is kind of what I am leaning toward myself - either the cheap, almost disposable 18-55 kit lens or just start out with the 16-50 mm. Nice images - you are not helping me wait and make a calm measured choice!

I am a software developer - being OCD is sort of a job requirement - probably helps with being a good photograhper too. The key is learning to keep it in check.
10-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
I talked to someone at the local branch of our main regional camera supply store about the K-5 today. The guy I spoke with was really upbeat about the K-5 but he felt that spending that much on a camera body and putting the kit lens on it was a mistake. That is a point of view I have heard more than once on this forum too. He is getting a K-5 body from another store and I am going to go look at it on Thursday and talk more about lenses. They sell the camera and lenses for the same price as everyone else, so I will probably get it from them in case I have any issues.

I might just break down and get the 16-55 mm WR lens as my first lens. In for a penny, in for a pound.
10-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #26

To experience the highest possible quality in your shots, you need a fine lens. It's usual to start out with a zoom lens, but if you wanted a top quality fixed lens instead, I recommend the Pentax 43mm F/1.9. For "walk around" you can always find a perspective giving a great shot. Since it is slightly magnifying, it only becomes limiting in small rooms. As a "sidewalk lens" it's hard to beat. Example below - casual shot with the K5, 43mm F/1.9 at F/5.6, 1/180s, and fill flash.
10-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
First off - thanks to everyone for the lens suggestions.

I got over my hesitation and bought my K-5 four days ago. I decided to jump all the way in and I got a DA* 16-50 for my first zoom. What can I say besides WOW. What a beautiful little machine and that DA* is some sweet glass - my initial images are looking really good. I will be posting some soon, hopefully after we finally see the sun here in Ohio again! This morning I put it down and thought - I would keep this camera even if I do have to send it in for repairs - it is that good. So far no worries though, as mine appears to be perfect.
10-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #28

Great choice Jim...

We can't wait to see your shots with the combo...

Enjoy!