Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

3 of the same, but different pics?? what??

I've been having issues with my photo's looking way oversaturated (especially blue and pink) in windows viewer and CS5 (but weirdly not oversaturated when uploaded to flikr, hotmail or facebook?) and started messing with my settings. I normally dont do highlight protection or shadow compensation, so I figured I'd turn them on to see if maybe it had to do with the light bouncing (they are in no way blown, just look Crazy oversaturated, even my kids lips look like they have hot pink lipstick on them).

so looking at the memory card there are 3 of each image, but slightly different in color... pinks and blues especially

this is just one of the examples. I hope they show up the same way I am seeing them in windows viewer. I'll know once I upload them. The white balance is off and they are really yellow, SOOC, but just an example. Is this normal when you turn on highlight protection and shadow compensation????

also, when looking at exif data I see that contrast and sharpness is set to high. how do I change that? I can add contrast and sharpness in PP. I dont want the camera to do that for me! <---Maybe that should be its own thread...

I never noticed any of this with the Kx.... any help? thanks!

10-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #2

If they look odd on your monitor but ok on some upload service, which shouldn't be tweaking settings, it sounds like your monitor may need some calibration.
If you review the pictures in camera on the cameras LCD, do they look ok there?
Or with the Pentax software on your PC?
10-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
my monitor is calibrated weekly. I was playing with the settings just to see. it makes it hard to edit when what I see in CS is totally different from how it uploads. It prints the same as it uploads. If I have a picture without bright pinks or bright blues it isnt a big deal, not able to notice a difference.

Unless I have my photo's saved in some weird profile (which I dont, I convert all RAW's before upload, but the problem isnt just with RAWS, but also photo's that were shot in jpg) the photo's should look (basically) the same between CS and upload to internet.

My issue isnt calibration. And although I appreciate your answer, my question is about why I am getting three pictures when I release the shutter once. same photo, but one has very saturated colors, one not so saturated, and then a third moderately over saturated

also, I cant seem to find how to set the contrast to normal instead of high

I dont use pentax software, but will look to see how it looks in there now. the camera LCD is too small to see the detail that I am having issues with
10-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
geez, why wont my photo's upload. I think I will downsize them

10-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
k, hope this works, this is two of the three of a different set. There isnt a huge difference between the set of pics. I just have no idea if its normal for a set of photo's to be taken instead of just the one (I only released the shutter once)
Attached Images

10-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
and go figure, once uploaded the overly saturated one of the two isnt showing up overly saturated. gah. Its enough to drive a person nuts.
10-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
If I have a picture without bright pinks or bright blues it isnt a big deal, not able to notice a difference. ....

.... my question is about why I am getting three pictures when I release the shutter once. same photo, but one has very saturated colors, one not so saturated, and then a third moderately over saturated
Sorry I can't really help, but....

Part one sounds like it is set on Vivid or Bright, which made that same pink "glow" on my K100D.

Parts 2 sounds like bracketing of the saturation.

Odd, because with raw, neither should matter...

10-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it actually taking three shots or just creating three pictures? If taking three shots you probably have auto bracketing turned on. It is a drive mode.

Edit - I also see that in the K-5 you have the ability to change settings such as saturation during auto bracketing - hope that helps your investigation. (2nd item on camera menu #2)
10-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Its creating three pictures, so thats probably it. I must have somehow selected bracketing. I will try that

Special K, I only shoot RAW when I am doing paid shoots or something rather important. BUT with the RAW's I seem to have the same issue with the saturation. (I do run my Jpegs thru a quick PP though where I tone down those colors that I have issues with). Camera said it was set at "normal", but maybe I am missing something. I will have to look again.

Thanks. I am betting it is set to bracketing, and as far as my other issue go I think me and my camera manual are going to have to have a little time together
10-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
I've been having issues with my photo's looking way oversaturated (especially blue and pink) in windows viewer and CS5 (but weirdly not oversaturated when uploaded to flikr, hotmail or facebook?)
That part sounds like you have a wide gamut monitor and are using software to view your pictures that doesn't fully support color profiles, (or are setup in a faulty way).
10-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Gimbal.... you may be onto something there. Thanks for that thought!
10-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ahhh, Gimbal, you led me to researching the wide gamut screen, then got into calibration equipment etc, came upon this:

Flickr: Discussing Wide Gamut Monitor Calibration Lessons Learned in Photography Interest Group

7) Even with an accurate color profile, certain hues of what used to be seen as blue on narrow-gamut displays will display with a purple cast on the wide-gamut devices. This is actually correct and no amount of calibration will remove it. It is caused by the older devices clipping the blue spectrum before it extends into areas of the colorspace that transitions into purple. Similar effects can happen when printing photos with the right shade of blue - as you go from the display to the narrow gamut printer, colors will get clipped and hues will change. The color profile process in the printing software will attempt to map the out of gamut colors to the closet in-gamut equivalent, but the blue/purple region is very tricky.

so I am thinking that may be the issue too, my calibration software (which is new this year) and my screen.... I've been editing in the sRGB profile forever and didnt notice this till lately, last few months.
10-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Where is Schraubstock when you need him?
He's the colour profiles/calibration/temperature etc guru.
10-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok, so its for sure my calibration tool, because on my husbands uncalibrated monitor it looks just fine (well, besides the fact that the color sucks on his monitor in general, but not overly saturated). I just sent pics off to a friend with the spyder3 to see if she is seeing them funky.. I have the x-rite i1Display

Amazon.com: X-Rite i1Display 2 Color Calibrator for LCD, CRT, and Laptop Displays: Camera & Photo
10-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
please excuse the snap shot, and the photo's of my (dirty, I have a 2 yr old with sticky fingers) screen. This is an older photo (ok, not that old) that it is really noticeable for me. This is a shot of how it looks in windows live viewer (also how it looks in CS), then a photo of how it looks uploaded to web, then the Jpeg
Attached Images