Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
ok, so its for sure my calibration tool, because on my husbands uncalibrated monitor it looks just fine (well, besides the fact that the color sucks on his monitor in general, but not overly saturated). I just sent pics off to a friend with the spyder3 to see if she is seeing them funky..
I wouldn't be to sure it's the calibration tool, since you monitor obviously is capable of displaying your pictures just fine (as soon as they are uploaded to... wherever it was). Wouldn't that suggest that there is something funny with the tools you are using to view your pictures with? Try downloading one of your pictures that look fine in the browser again and then view them with the same tool that give the over saturated look.

(My guess is that the pictures will look fine on your friends monitor.)

10-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Wouldn't that suggest that there is something funny with the tools you are using to view your pictures with?
wouldnt you think that CS5 would be a good tool to view pictures with? it is a very expensive, professional photographer friendly program. Plus, photo's I took prior to my calibration which were fine are now the same blotchy, textureless, oversaturated look

I should change the name of this thread because it has totally gone another direction... a very needed topic for me though, I really appreciate all your thoughts on this!
10-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
when I get time without my kid today I will hook up my second monitor and see if I have the same issues with it. Its been a while since I have had it out
10-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

wouldnt you think that CS5 would be a good tool to view pictures with? it is a very expensive, professional photographer friendly program. Plus, photo's I took prior to my calibration which were fine are now the same blotchy, textureless, oversaturated look
So I guess you have created a color profile with your calibration tool, have you told CS5 to use this new profile?

10-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
So I guess you have created a color profile with your calibration tool, have you told CS5 to use this new profile?
everything I view on my computer should be viewed under the new calibration profile.... no?? I am confused by your question. The software is to calibrate my monitor as a whole, not individual programs (*at least this is what my understanding was*)
10-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
looks like I am not the only one with this issue: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1252...libration.html

I think I will try to contact xrite i1display people
10-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

To be honest my memory is a little dim in this area but the created color profile should be used by all programs that are set to use the "system" color profile, but they CAN also be set to use something else. So you should probably check that out, if CS5 thinks you are using a "normal" non wide gamut display the pictures will look over-saturated on a wide gamut display.

It seems the (internet) browser is using the right profile, try looking at an "oversaturated" picture with the browser directly from your disk, it will probably look ok.

10-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Open CS5, select Edit/color settings. Then look into "working Spaces" RGB: drop down list, and after the selection "Monitor RGB - " the profile CS5 is using is listed. It should be the one you have created. If not, something is wrong.

Observe, do not select this, just check that it is there.
10-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
I really don't know if I understand where or what the problem is. Lets go back to square one. You seem to say if you open up an image in Photoshop you have problems with colour yet when you upload the same picture to here (like the two cannon shots) or elsewhere they look fine even on the your same monitor. Am I correct? The two pics for example with the cannon, both of which by the way look O.K. on my monitor, how where created and by which program. To stay with these two images, they are identical so one is a copy of the original. Why did you upload these two pics if they are a copy of each other? If one of these identical images (one being a copy) looks different how is this possible? I do not know whats going on here.

Or did you use some other program into which you imported the file off the camera SD card, saved it, made a copy and imported one to PS?

Colours are managed by Windows in C:\windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\Color and PS makes a call there to obtain its colour instructions. So perhaps something has gone astray there, corrupted file perhaps?, wrong profile found itself in there (funny things happen with computers). Since I and you don't know the inner workings of Photoshop to do a quick correction I would try to uninstall Photoshop and do a fresh install.

There are so many variables, I can't see from here what you are doing.

Perhaps you can tell us what image programs you are running on your computer and what your work flow is. I still don't know your setup and what you are actually doing with the files once they come off your cam.

Greetings
10-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Check what color space you are working in in CS5. Keep in mind certain browsers don't have color profiles as well, so they will look different. You could be seeing that difference in your photos. Firefox does have color management, so see what they look like in that browser.
10-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
please excuse the snap shot, and the photo's of my (dirty, I have a 2 yr old with sticky fingers) screen. This is an older photo (ok, not that old) that it is really noticeable for me. This is a shot of how it looks in windows live viewer (also how it looks in CS), then a photo of how it looks uploaded to web, then the Jpeg
Hi
The first two images have been taken off the screen I presume, hence the moiré pattern. The program displaying these are Windows Live Viewer. What is the file format of those? TIF, JPG or RAW?

The last shot is not taken (photographed) of the screen, correct? So the format of this one is JPG since this id the way to upload it. In other words the file of this picture lives in a directory by the name 8-27-11 dress up2.jpg. If you were to load up this picture to have it displayed in Windows Live Viewer would it look like the previous two? Alternatively if you were to upload the two first pictures here directly ex the directory would I see them correctly. Why don't you try this. If this is the case then I would say the problem lies with the windows viewer. I don't think your problem has anything to do with colour management and I don't even think it is a hardware problem.

Greetings
10-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I take the photo (usually in Jpg), then insert the SD card, review on windowslive (which has the issue) then import off the SD card into CS5 (also has the issue). If I upload it straight into windows live it has the issue also. If I print the photo it does not have the oversaturated look to it. It looks like it does when I upload... The same photo that looks oversaturated and neon on my computer, sent to my husbands computer via skype looks just fine. so the problem lies with my computer or something that is on my computer and not his... no idea why I wouldnt see the same oversaturation neon color online though, that is a good question.

yes, the last photo was the original.

I will sit and read tomorrow thru this thread and try what you all have suggested. its 120am here, and I really should be shutting down! Thanks for your thoughts and I will get back to you all on the rest of your suggestions
10-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To answer your question about the canon picture.... I somehow set my camera to bracketing and I didnt realize I did that. They ARE different when I view them in windows live viewer (I never did import this photo into photoshop). I viewed the photo in windows live viewer directly from the memory card. I then uploaded to here FROM THE MEMORY CARD. As a matter of fact this photo is still not saved on my computer

I have more than one memory card, and dont notice a difference between memory cards

to add to the weirdness, when I click on the photo and it has the mid sized preview in windows viewer that photo looks great, but when I double click and it blows up it is back to looking all overly saturated

any way I import it into Photoshop it looks all oversaturated

This morning I opened it in corel and fully expected it to look oversaturated and crazy because its a color managed program.... it looks just fine in corel

I have an inspiron Dell laptop (1525) with Windows 7, calibrating with a xrite i1Display 2

I work in sRGB colorspace, but when converted to adobe RGB (I just tried for the purpose of knowing) It looks the same as when in sRGB colorspace in photoshop

Tried Photoshop elements 8 (yes I have all three programs installed on one computer) and it is oversaturated and crazy

Looks fine in Foxfire, Internet explorer and Google chrome
10-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Heres another example of a screen shot of the photo and the photo. Mother in laws blue jeans and pink shirt are glowing....
Attached Images

10-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Create a new user and login as such on the laptop. Does it look different? The color profiles are stored by user in windows7. If the situation improves when logged in as the new user open up the screen properties and view the color mgmt profiles used and compare them to the ones used under your login.