Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help! Is this stain or dust on the sensor?

Hi guys,

I've just tested if I got any stains on my sensor today with my 2 week new K-5 and used 60-250mm f4 lens. I noticed some slight dots on the image and thought it may be dust, I went to sensor cleaning mode and blow the sensor with a blower, did the same shot and the spots still remain...it's subtle but I don't want any spots at all!

Shot at 250mm, f32, 1/30 sec, SR on.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

looks like dust.
10-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
Hi guys,

I've just tested if I got any stains on my sensor today with my 2 week new K-5 and used 60-250mm f4 lens. I noticed some slight dots on the image and thought it may be dust, I went to sensor cleaning mode and blow the sensor with a blower, did the same shot and the spots still remain...it's subtle but I don't want any spots at all!

Shot at 250mm, f32, 1/30 sec, SR on.
Hi
Actually very little can be shifted off the sensor with a blower. I deliberately say "shifted" because most of the times when you use the blower you don't remove the matter but merely shift it to a new place inside the mirror box. The only thing a blower will move is true inert dust or fluff that has just flown in and settled onto the AA filter as light as a feather where it sticks to the surface there by way of static and surface tension. Yours is not such dust/fluff. (It would look quite different.)

Any other matter that is not inert such as pollen, skin flakes (yours or others) industrial or other organic crap will settle on the AA filter surface just as inert dust does but if left there it has time to "fuse" itself onto the surface through humidity and operational heat of the sensor. Yours here is such a case. I can see this by its appearance. No matter how much you blow or suck it won't come off this way. I doubt you can even take it off with a very soft brush. It has been left for too long. That is why I always say "do not let the crap linger". For this one I would say you need a wet clean.

And rest assured it NOT stain!

This forum is full of advice on this topic, search for it.

Greetings
10-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
Actually very little can be shifted off the sensor with a blower. I deliberately say "shifted" because most of the times when you use the blower you don't remove the matter but merely shift it to a new place inside the mirror box. The only thing a blower will move is true inert dust or fluff that has just flown in and settled onto the AA filter as light as a feather where it sticks to the surface there by way of static and surface tension. Yours is not such dust/fluff. (It would look quite different.)

Any other matter that is not inert such as pollen, skin flakes (yours or others) industrial or other organic crap will settle on the AA filter surface just as inert dust does but if left there it has time to "fuse" itself onto the surface through humidity and operational heat of the sensor. Yours here is such a case. I can see this by its appearance. No matter how much you blow or suck it won't come off this way. I doubt you can even take it off with a very soft brush. It has been left for too long. That is why I always say "do not let the crap linger". For this one I would say you need a wet clean.

And rest assured it NOT stain!

This forum is full of advice on this topic, search for it.

Greetings
That makes me worried, I only had the camera for 2 weeks so I don't think that will be too much time left there....only changed lenses a few times too. Could it be dust on the lens then? (the part that is attached to the camera.)

10-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I wouldn't worry about that. Can you see it when using f8 or so? Other wise sensorcleaning is the way to go, this is on the sensor.

Don't let you go mad by internet that tells you that there meigth be something on your sensor with f32.
10-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
That makes me worried, I only had the camera for 2 weeks...
Hi
Well firstly do not worry, it is not a big deal you will have this sort of thing happening for the rest of your DSLR days. When I say too long of course 2 weeks could be too long if the nature of the crap is of suitable "quality". And just because it is a new cam does not mean anything. Let me tell you a little episode.

Some months ago I visited a well known camera shop here in Melbourne to buy a ND GRAD filter. The counter was busy and next to me a prospect purchaser wanted to look at a specific Canon. It was not on display on the glass shelf behind the counter but the sales rep said he had one boxed in store. He came back with the box, opened it took the camera out, removed the cap from the body, placed the cam with the mount opening facing up on the counter and disappeared for a while to fetch a suitable lens. All the while the cam was sitting on a busy counter open facing up.

The customer decided against the model and the cam was expertly repacked into the box. And now the next customer who will purchase this cam may well wonder why he has crap on his new camera sensor. (True story)

But most importantly, do not let this bit of dirt spoil your excitement, it is easily removed with a wet cleaning kit. Start practicing sensor cleaning with this one, you will have to do it many, many times from now on. Best wishes and

Greetings