Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

Pentax k5 lenses

Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying my first DSLR the pentax K-5 and was wandering the most suitable lense(s) to buy.

Initially i was hoping to buy just the one lense to keep the costs down but am open to all suggestions.

I am after a weather proof lense as i will be using the camera primarily in a marine environment on boats and primarily be taking photos of other boats, landscapes, wildlife. I am a complete novice when it comes to photography but am wanting to get right into it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jimmy

10-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From a boat you'd probably like a longer lens- I would check out the DA* 60-250mm. It's weather-sealed and very sharp!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
From a boat you'd probably like a longer lens- I would check out the DA* 60-250mm. It's weather-sealed and very sharp!
That is what I was thinking, not that I have any experience with this awesome lens, but it seems like the right focal range for the job.
10-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

I'm loving my 60-250. The focal range let's you cover all sorts of situations. Its sharp, and has phenomenal colors.

10-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There are no weather proof lenses. There are weather resistant ones. With proper precautions, you don't have to worry to much with any lens; I use my non-WR lenses in the rain and till now without ill effects, even without precautions.

Lens choice is a very personal preference. If WR is still an absolute requirement, I would simply start with the DA18-55WR (kit lens) and the DA50-200WR. That way you will not spend too much money while determining your real needs. The alternative WR solution is DA*16-50 in combination with DA*60-250 (at a far higher cost and make sure that you get extended warranty with those).

Those real needs can be that you want better quality, that you want wider for your landscapes or longer for your wildlife. It's also possible that you will be happy for the rest of your life with that 'cheap' combination. Or that you find that swapping lenses on a boat is not really what you want to do and that you wasted a fortune on the DA* combination and rather would have bought the DA18-135WR.
10-13-2011, 02:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I fully agree with sterretje. If this is your first DSLR start with those two (WR) kit lenses and get aquainted with your camera. After a couple of months you could check your pictures and see which focal lengths you're using the most. Based on that you can decide which lens would be next, could be more wide angle e.g 12-24 or more and better tele.
10-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Or that you find that swapping lenses on a boat is not really what you want to do
That is solved by having 2 bodies.