Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 AF hexagon...

the focus assist hexagon illuminates the same time as the "red rectangle" which is what I used as a barometer. The camera also beeps when in focus. is this a faulty way to use the K-5(the manual is so long and I tire of jumping back-n-forth for info)?

10-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait wait wait, the K-5 has a built-in weather station now?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wait wait wait, the K-5 has a built-in weather station now?
My Olympus 770-SW is good down to 10m underwater. It include a manometer or pressure gauge, which indicates elevations up to 5000m. Or, if you're at a known elevation, it functions as a... barometer! If it only had an ambient.temp thermometer and a wet+dry-bulb hydrometer, it would be a total weather station!

[/me swings the little Oly around to get a relative humidity reading]
10-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
the focus assist hexagon illuminates the same time as the "red rectangle" which is what I used as a barometer. The camera also beeps when in focus. is this a faulty way to use the K-5(the manual is so long and I tire of jumping back-n-forth for info)?
Only read the part of the manual that covers your issue.

The hexagon will be solid and there is a concurrent beep (if enabled). If you use auto AF points, I guess it will illuminate when the chosen point has locked focus.

10-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam,

Yes and a Lighthouse too.
10-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too bad there's no focus aid when using the LCD.
10-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Too bad there's no focus aid when using the LCD.
Press info to zoom in.

10-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Problem with the focus indicators is that they don't 'stay on' so if the distance between camera and subject changes after focus has been achieved, you will not have an indication that focus is lost.

So yes, it's the wrong way and it's better to rely on the hexagon. I also am /was in the habit of relying on the focus indicators and I'm still training myself not to rely on the beep / focus indicators but on the hexagon.
10-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Problem with the focus indicators is that they don't 'stay on' so if the distance between camera and subject changes after focus has been achieved, you will not have an indication that focus is lost.

So yes, it's the wrong way and it's better to rely on the hexagon. I also am /was in the habit of relying on the focus indicators and I'm still training myself not to rely on the beep / focus indicators but on the hexagon.
Can you explain a little more what you mean? I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I rely on the beep, but know I have to refocus if the distance changes. I don't pay attention to the hexagon. You're saying that the hexagon always in going on or off based on if the subject is in focus or not regardless of the focus mode your in, or if you're still half pressing the shutter? Maybe I need to pay more attention to it.
10-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have to apologize a little as was a bit confused. I have been using M42 lenses mostly lately so my above post only relates to camera in MF; in which case the hexagon indeed switches off when focus is lost; in AF it indeed does not.
10-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Use the hexagon. The red rectangle shows you where the camera is focusing and the hexagon shows you it has achieved focus. Because the camera achieves focus quickly, you'll see both indications (red rectangle and hexagon) about the same time. Train yourself to use the hexagon though, because occasionally the camera will take a moment to focus (say, if it's low light or low contrast).
10-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool.