Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #31

I have now been shooting with my K5 for a couple of weeks. I have to say I love all the great features listed above: the high ISO performance, the low (80) ISO performance, the dynamic range, the autofocus speed, the handling, the frames per second, and many of the other features. But I have to say that the highest praise I can give the K5 how few quibbles I can find. So far, my top three complaints of the K5 are...

1) As far as I can tell, it is not possible to change the options that appear in the Control Panel: I never want to mess up mu photos with Cross Processing, can’t I put something else there?

2) When shooting with long exposures (5+ seconds) it would be nice to have a countdown of the time lift on the top LCD.

3) My pinkie does curly under the camera a little, but just a little, and then it’s not that bad!

So, if I can come up with no more pressing complaints that that, I think this camera is a truely astonishing success!

K

10-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kester Quote

3) My pinkie does curly under the camera a little, but just a little, and then itís not that bad!
K
this is easily solved by sticking a D-BG4 grip on there I love how small the body is, although i typically leave it mounted on the battery grip when i need to use it for serious business-y type things

speaking of its minuscule size, here's a pic of it standing next to an old canon rebel xti:

10-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I'm not sure of other DSLR's capabilities, but the bracketed shooting is nice, I also have some fun with the multi-exposure shooting.. as well as some of the in camera PP work can do more than I figured it would.. for being in camera and all. But I love the "catch-in focus" + green button setup for all my manual lenses (probably on K-7 and other previous models though).
10-31-2011, 03:52 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kester Quote
2) When shooting with long exposures (5+ seconds) it would be nice to have a countdown of the time lift on the top LCD.
I noticed that with exposures like 180s and so there is a countdown on the top plate LCD. I didn't try the shortest exposure where it activates, but the feature is there.

For me the great new feature is the ability to change my mind after the shot and save RAW data of the shot that I recently took to Jpg. This wkend I did a group shot of some fans with famous film director Juraj Herz and I had the WB wrong. I didn't have to bother them retaking the shot, I only pushed two buttons and all was right.

11-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree Elho. The K5 with CPU4 is like having a double upgrade. Great software, finally. And a bonus is that I can apply all the adjustments and shooting modes to older models' RAW images as well. My K10D has been "upgraded" greatly in this way.
11-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Stains
The feeling I've won at Vegas every time it works...
11-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #37
Site Supporter

1. Five custom named and saved USER modes... It's like having six cameras in one... 5 user modes, plus the one that's non-user designated.

2. 'Focus priority' in AF, C, Hi mode; that is, the shutter only fires when the subject is in focus. For example, when taking a group photo, it's almost impossible to click a carefully measured shot the instant everyone's eyes are alert and open. With Focus priority in AF,C, Hi, you can rip off 5-6 shots in a "blink." One will of these will succeed...

... my 2 cents...
11-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
1. Five custom named and saved USER modes... It's like having six cameras in one... 5 user modes, plus the one that's non-user designated.

2. 'Focus priority' in AF, C, Hi mode; that is, the shutter only fires when the subject is in focus. For example, when taking a group photo, it's almost impossible to click a carefully measured shot the instant everyone's eyes are alert and open. With Focus priority in AF,C, Hi, you can rip off 5-6 shots in a "blink." One will of these will succeed...

... my 2 cents...
You didn't have all this in the 'olden days'.Why use it now? It's making your technique lazy.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/164181-k5-menus.html#post1701913

Hilarious!

11-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The feeling I've won at Vegas every time it works...
Poor thing.

I get no such nervous shakes when I use my K-5s. I win every shot
11-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Poor thing.

I get no such nervous shakes when I use my K-5s. I win every shot
Wait till something critical falls off of it, and we'll see how you whinny like a mare with a thorn in her hoof.
11-04-2011, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Wait till something critical falls off of it, and we'll see how you whinny like a mare with a thorn in her hoof.
You mean "I'll"

Most people I've experienced here take a mature approach with camera faults. I say most becuase I'm sure there others who throw their toys out the pram
11-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #42
Pentaxian

You mean "I'll"

Most people I've experienced here take a mature approach with camera faults. I say most becuase I'm sure there others who throw their toys out the pram
I remember that was pretty much what you were prepared to do with the AF thing when the camera was first released.
11-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I remember that was pretty much what you were prepared to do with the AF thing when the camera was first released.
No you don't. Stop telling untruths. Your propaganda is easily debunked

Firstly I didn't even own a K-5 when the camera was first released. Secondly when I did evenutally buy my first K-5 and it exhibited low light AF front focussing, I took the mature approach of doing several tests and waiting for the V1.03 update before getting the camera replaced. There's nothing to be gained from acting like a child.

Maybe take some time out to sort your memory problems.to avoid further embarrassment
11-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Hilarious!
Ah, yes, ridicule... really helps build community and encourage idea sharing... great fun...

BTW: Please check the web site that you host in your sig. When I stopped by to get a measure of your sense of humor, my computer immediately registered (and contained) an attack by a computer virus/worm.
11-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #45
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-5

This camera seems like a big step up from my K-20D.
I like it a good deal but I miss some things -- especially the
exposure bracketing button. You can assign this to the RAW/FX button
but must go into the menus to return to single frame shooting, which
is inconvenient.
A different video codec would be nice: can this be done via a
firmware upgrade? (I love the 25fps obligation, though, since I
always shoot in PAL)
It also seems a bit small for my hands! But the battery grip takes
care of that.