Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Best new feature? Has got to be ISO80, I thought it was just going to be a gimmick, being part of the "expanded" settings, but no, it gives you with such a workable image file.
Ever since going digital, I've been chasing that Kodachrome 64/25 look I loved so well. One of the things I like best about the K5 is that in Reversal Film mode and ISO 80 I match the "magic" of 64, and sometimes even 25. It only works well with particular lighting, but when it works, I fell like I've come home again.

10-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Stains
Hardly... Mirror flop!

In all seriousness though, the thing that keeps me from the K-5 is all the ongoing reports of the various problems people continue to have with this camera. For sure the K-x and K-7 had issues too, but nothing like the K-5.
10-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
Forum Member

I'm holding off as well.

JHD, totally agree, and that's why I am going to wait as well.
10-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be interested to know the actual percentage of K5 owners who have had problems.................Mine works great...............

10-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aside from the two biggest reasons I jumped from K-10 to K-5 (improved AF and sensitivity), I really like the size. It's small, so it's so very portable and doesn't bang around. It's still hefty, though, when I let someone borrow it I like that furrowed brow "what the hell is this thing made of" look.

When going back to the K10 a few weeks back when I prepped it for my wife's use I was reminded of that size difference. The K5 feels easier to carry around.

What don't I like? The lack of a SR-selection button. I'm sure it doesn't really matter, but I liked the quick ability to shut it off.
10-19-2011, 04:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Best new feature: high iso. I'm fortunate to be able to photograph for a small town but highly artistic live play theatre. They recently put on a version of the dracula play. A friend had warned me that it was UNUSUALLY dark lighting - and they won't allow us to use flash. They had liberal use of a smoke generator (where can i get one of those was my first reaction :-)). So i bumped up my normal 12,800 TAv limit to 25,600.

For this live action rehearsal shot: 1/125s, f3.2, 20,000iso, some LR3 NR, sharpening, no exposure or brightening, -30 vib. DA50-135 at 65mm.

Last edited by philbaum; 10-19-2011 at 05:07 AM.
10-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

great shot philbaum

10-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

With new features and a new body size, come new button placements. I'm thinking I will have to discontinue the use of some of my older digital bodies once my fingers are completely trained for the new controls. That is a bit sad. For film cameras, the controls stayed pretty much the same over time and even across brands.
10-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
For this live action rehearsal shot: 1/125s, f3.2, 20,000iso, some LR3 NR, sharpening, no exposure or brightening, -30 vib. DA50-135 at 65mm.
My K-x is jealous. K-x 12,800 is usable, but this certainly looks better.
10-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The five USER modes! Pity that you cannot assign Movie Mode to one of them, though!
10-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I miss the external SR control, but really like the ISO button. I wish there was a setting that would automatically turn off SR when the shutter speed doubled or exceeded the FL.
I bounce around between three (sometimes four) cameras, and they are all a little different, so I often have to glance at the camera for settings, but this is mostly for instant review and trash, so actual shooting usually isn't a problem.
10-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I miss the external SR control, but really like the ISO button.
Well, for K10/K20 previous owners, this ISO button is complete BS...
It was added just to please those dumb reviewers that couldn't find the paragraph about pressing OK+front wheel on the K10/K20 in order to change ISO, and who whined about the lack of direct ISO control (even when you could assign ISO to either wheels!).

And to allow for this "new" button without cluttering the cam, they had to remove the Fn button, thus making Fn menus compete with the AF point selection for the 4-way pad (and THAT is a major pain!).

So, just to please those illiterate dumb donkeys, they broke a perfectly working solution...
10-19-2011, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, for K10/K20 previous owners, this ISO button is complete BS...
It was added just to please those dumb reviewers that couldn't find the paragraph about pressing OK+front wheel on the K10/K20 in order to change ISO, and who whined about the lack of direct ISO control (even when you could assign ISO to either wheels!).

And to allow for this "new" button without cluttering the cam, they had to remove the Fn button, thus making Fn menus compete with the AF point selection for the 4-way pad (and THAT is a major pain!).

So, just to please those illiterate dumb donkeys, they broke a perfectly working solution...
someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today.... :ugh:
10-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
With new features and a new body size, come new button placements. I'm thinking I will have to discontinue the use of some of my older digital bodies once my fingers are completely trained for the new controls. That is a bit sad. For film cameras, the controls stayed pretty much the same over time and even across brands.
It seems that Pentax is taking a page from Apple and others (not saying it's unique to them), and re-using bodies for at least 2 models. Honestly, it makes sense from a cost savings perspective, familiarity, and it should also help to improve reliability. I would see little wrong with the K3 keeping the K7/K5 body, with only minor changes such as a few buttons being added if needed (I'm thinking mostly of a movie mode button that many seem to want, maybe there are others, but shouldn't be many..). The K7/K5 body is a good size as it is, with little need to change it much, IMO. Of course, I'll take a lens release button that needs to go in from inside the camera (meaning it can't physically fall out, with a clip or not), and I wouldn't mind seeing the media door replaced with a locking door like the battery door has, but it would seem a good idea to re-use as much as possible, preferably without confusing users upgrading.

Of course, if the k3 does have an articulating LCD (I could see this being useful), I'd expect the K3 to very likely have to grow at least slightly in size...
10-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #30

K5 is awesome!!!!! I really enjoy it!