Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best New K5 Features

I've been impressed with the K5, but am still learning all it can do. What is the best new feature of this camera.
I've been shooting seriously for almost four decades and also own a K10D and K20D, so I'm not looking for answers like "expanded ISO" or "better AF."

10-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

...alright, I'll just keep quiet then...

(Although, to me, expanded ISO and better AF are GREAT features. The main reasons for me to upgrade from k-7, definitely)

*failing to keep quiet*

...Uhm, what kind of feature DO you want to discuss then? This is my third pentax dslr also, and I've been taking photos since I was seven years old, and I can't for the life of me think of features that matter more to me than high iso performance and AF-accuracy... now I feel I must have been missing something...
10-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The biggest improvement when i went up to the k-5 was it's insane dynamic range. I could severely underexpose photo to preserve all the highlight details and then boost shadows in post and still get nice clean files to work with. In fact, the only time the noise became an issue from boosting in post was when i decided to boost a picture around 8 stops or so just to see if i could get away with it. A quick B&W conversion later and i still managed to get a perfectly usable photo
10-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
The biggest improvement when i went up to the k-5 was it's insane dynamic range. I could severely underexpose photo to preserve all the highlight details and then boost shadows in post and still get nice clean files to work with. In fact, the only time the noise became an issue from boosting in post was when i decided to boost a picture around 8 stops or so just to see if i could get away with it. A quick B&W conversion later and i still managed to get a perfectly usable photo
Agree with adpo. For those that photoprocess, you can do more with the images, e.g. pull more detail out of the shadows than you could ever with the K10, K20 files.

Quiet shutter - love it. People that i shoot in a theatre aren't startled by the snap of the shutter.

Automatic leveling of the image - i suddenly noticed i wasn't having to level my images as much, hardly any in pp - oh yeah, forgot i had turned on that feature.

When i have the camera on a tripod, i've recently started using the leveling display to get the camera level, when i know that i don't want to crop too much. Turned out to be pretty handy when i need it.

Shot an adapted "dracula" play recently, almost all of the scenes during the rehearsal were pretty dim. wouldn't have got very useful pictures without high iso capabilities of the camera. When you need those capabilities, you need them.

10-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I LOVE the GPS functionality as well as all the little tweaks.
10-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with others, the IQ part is the strongest reason to get K-5. I also like the composition adjustment feature.
It shifts the sensor so you can to certain extent turn any lens into a shift lens. So with K-5 any lenst is shift and stabilized. They could add tilt functionality for next model...
10-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Increased dynamic range, increased frames per second, the menus (I like it that the menus don't reset after each use), the built in level (as a landscape shooter this has been just a blessing for me), 100% viewfinder, video is a plus too but it was never why I got a K-5. Coming from my K10/K20, the layout of the controls is still after 6 months a bit strange, but it's becoming more familiar, I like the LV and ISO buttons. The popup flash is much more usable than on my K10/K20. Some of these features are not new to the K-5 as the K-7 had a number of them too but the improved sensor of the K-5 really was the game changer for me over all of them. I could go on.

I do a lot of hdr images and the K-5 just is a better platform for this.

I loved my K10d and K20d tandem. But the K10d is now gone and the K20d (now in back up mode) is getting less and less use.
10-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I LOVE the GPS functionality as well as all the little tweaks.

Is there GPS built into the K5? the camera is at home or I'd be fiddling with it right now....

10-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Is there GPS built into the K5? the camera is at home or I'd be fiddling with it right now....
It is if you add their GPS unit.

O-GPS1

I'm still waiting so see some spectacular star tracking shots before I buy the thing. Some good ones have been posted around here but they're far between.

Last edited by JeffJS; 10-15-2011 at 12:08 PM.
10-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

How it feels in your hand

Best feeling dSLR I've ever held
10-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments so far. Keep them comming. I'd like to hear more about the practcal uses of composition adjustment feature.
I am, by the way, almost as impressed with CPU4 as I am with the camera. (I shoot RAW only.) Love all the shooting modes and being able to run through them to pick the best for RAW conversions. I'm especially impressed with the Reversal Film mode. Very good after-the-fact WB adjustments. This is a great camera, but the software really tops it off.
10-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Col
Veteran Member

Best new feature? Has got to be ISO80, I thought it was just going to be a gimmick, being part of the "expanded" settings, but no, it gives you with such a workable image file.
10-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Best new feature? Has got to be ISO80, I thought it was just going to be a gimmick, being part of the "expanded" settings, but no, it gives you with such a workable image file.
I've managed to boost an image 8 stops in post from an iso80 file. It was pretty noisy but most the detail of the severely underexposed image was still there. A quick B&W conversion and i got a perfectly useable image
10-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I discovered ISO 80 while on vacation, but have now gone back to ISO 100 as a yideo on YouTube sez it is the native resolution.
10-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Stains