Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry for the irrelevance. Keep us informed!

10-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sorry, my apologies jerm1386, I didn't mean to be short.

Technical answers are always useful even if they aren't relevant to the OP. Folks, especially newbies who may be following the thread or reading for the first time can pick up good information they may never have heard. The technical asides can often be the most beneficial part of a thread.
11-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #18

My K5 did the same thing to me today. Battery shows fully charged, but the error says "Battery Depleted" and it happened during a shoot I had been planning for months. Neither fully charged battery works. Prior to this happening, I had noticed an increase in having to remove the battery and re-insert it when it locked up. My camera no longer works at all. Very frustrating.
11-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by debmalya Quote
But most consumers like to store them fully charged, thus inadvertently reducing life expectancy.
Thanks for the technical post. I hope I'm not diverting the thread by asking a few follow up question (OP, please let me know if I should start a separate thread).

So the chargers that come with camera batteries are OK? Usually cheap chargers are not that healthy for accumulators. I guess despite being cheap, the chargers that come with cameras have their charging current matched to the accumulators and hence won't cause damage (despite the fact that probably neither they nor the accumulators have temperature sensors).

Does the "fully charged storage causes higher capacity loss" phenomenon also apply to hybrids, such as Sanyo Eneloops?

Any idea how to solve the conundrum of wanting to avoid capacity loss (i.e., store at 40% charge) but preferring a fully charged accumulator when it is needed? Ideally, one would just fully charge right before a particular application, right?

11-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Honestly, I am not 100% certain about the design of the Pentax charger. However, Li-ion batteries should only be charged with a charger designed for the specific type of battery, and I am certain the Pentax charger conforms to this requirement. Typically the battery has an integrated temperature sensor that can regulate (cut off) the discharge/charge when certain thresholds are crossed. The regulator/monitoring circuit draws power from the battery, thus contributing to the self discharge - but its very low drain.

Sanyo Eneloop batteries seem to be based on Ni-MH chemistry, which is similar to Ni-Cd. Therefore, the capacity loss at storage is not proportional to the charge level as in Li-ion.

Ideally you should store your Li-ion battery at 40-60% charge and then top it off shortly before putting them into use, like you said. The capacity loss increases substantially at higher charge levels.
11-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Thanks for the info on Eneloops!

QuoteOriginally posted by debmalya Quote
Ideally you should store your Li-ion battery at 40-60% charge and then top it off shortly before putting them into use, like you said.
Does charge rise linearly with charging time, i.e., should one pull a Li-ion battery out of the charger after roughly half of the normal charging time to achieve a ~50% charge?