Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Live view uses contrast AF with the camera's main sensor and the regular AF is phase system using a separate sensor. contrast AF is slower because the system doesn't know whether OOF is front or back focussed and uses trial and error. Phase method is faster because it does know in which direction to move the focus. I agree the phase AF culd be a lot better in the K-5
I recently bought a NX100. Same CMOS sensor as the K7... But liveview is nearly instantaneous (I mean the refresh rate), and AF is really quick. Nothing like the sluggish K7, or even the K5...

I think Pentax simply does not know how to implement a good liveview...

11-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

LV is Front Focusing here.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
AF corrections do not apply to LV focusing, which uses a different AF system altogether.
I did repeated tests with my FA* 300 F4.5 today on one of my K5 bodies and it front focuses every time in LV. I'm going to try it with the other body tomorrow and see if the results sync up. I am finding auto focusing with these cameras to be total hell frankly and a Canon S type focusing screen is next on the list - I'll go totally manual if necessary.

The front focus LV issue with the DA 300 is a bother though. To me it implies that something is physically wrong with either camera or lens if the sensor is the source of focus. I also found that the mirror was introducing shake into the shots where phase detect was used which made it difficult to actually 'see' what was in focus in some shots. I ended up using mirror lock up combined with self timer to get that out of the way but perhaps brighter lighting and faster shutter speed is the answer here.