Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #1

Yet another proud new K5 owner

Hello all. I would like to introduce myself as yet another proud owner of a K5 (as of about a week ago). Having been skulking on this forum for months trying to decide if this was the camera for me, I decided… yes. Thanks to all the well-informed people out there who made such good points about the K5. I can now retire my (very capable) Samsung GX20 in preference of what is, undoubtedly, a better camera.

To all those out there obsessing over the K5 autofocus capabilities, I can say but this – it is not only much better than previous Pentax(/Samsung) cameras, it is actually very good. With my nice new FA50 1.4, I find it able to focus as fast and accurate as any other camera lens combination I tried (excluding a Nikon D3, but that’s three times the price). Had it not been for you – I might have had this camera earlier and been enjoying it for longer! You really must relax.

Below, assuming I am able to operate this forum, see one of my first photos from this camera: taken with an ND filer and polarizer. I know I could have taken this with my old camera, but somehow it was more fun and easier with the K5 (the artificial level helped).

Attached Images

10-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Kester and thank you! I am quite relaxed now.
10-17-2011, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, welcome to the forums, Kester!

I'm with you, the K-5 is a very capable camera. In fact, the best APS-C camera to date (okay some may not agree with those, but I wasn't the one that labeled it as such)!

Nice photo!
10-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Yes, welcome to the forums, Kester!

I'm with you, the K-5 is a very capable camera. In fact, the best APS-C camera to date (okay some may not agree with those, but I wasn't the one that labeled it as such)!

Nice photo!
I'm with you. I was at my daughters birthday party for some grandchildren
this weekend. She handed me another well known brand and told me to take
some pictures. I quickly figured out that it needed a flash to be successful,
and likeing flashes as much as I do, it wasn't long before I went out to the car
where my pentax was and got it, and cranked up the ISO a ways adn found it very happy doing available light. Family birthday parties aren't portrait occasons
and the benefits of shooting it available light far exceeded what ever extra noise
might be detected in an ISO 1600 photo which as sizes these photos are likley to ever be enlarged to is zilch.

My dream as a college kid was to find enough money for a spotamatic which i bought as soon as I out of college and could find the price, and I've happily used
Pentax for the last 45 years. Some models have been better than others,
but the K2 (yes there was one) and the K5 have been among the best.

10-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Kester, and thanks for the reminder of the K-5's virtues.
Great image too. Enjoy the forum.
10-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the Club!!

10-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #7

Great shot, and awesome context! I've had mine for three problem-free months. Good luck and keep the pics coming.
10-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great image! I need to get mine out about about. It has been in my stable less than 24 hours, but I love the feel in the hand.

10-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Great image! I need to get mine out about about. It has been in my stable less than 24 hours, but I love the feel in the hand.
You've joined the club Too Gene? Welcome!

10-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks all for the friendly responces

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I'm with you. I was at my daughters birthday party for some grandchildren this weekend. She handed me another well known brand and told me to take some pictures. I quickly figured out that it needed a flash to be successful, and likeing flashes as much as I do, it wasn't long before I went out to the car where my pentax was and got it, and cranked up the ISO a ways adn found it very happy doing available light. Family birthday parties aren't portrait occasons and the benefits of shooting it available light far exceeded what ever extra noise might be detected in an ISO 1600 photo which as sizes these photos are likley to ever be enlarged to is zilch.
I fully agree with this. I have not had much of a chance to play with this camera in low light social photography yet, but that was one of my favorite uses of the GX20, so I am really looking forward to the improved high ISO performance. My new FA 50 1.4 should help here to (I have been using a KA 50 1.7 and a home converted Rokkor 58 1.4 – a great lens with the light is with you, but you miss the SMC!).

One thing I have had a chance to try is using the 7FPS to capture moving subjects. I am amazed at how much it helps. Mind, it does fill the card fast – I can only imagine what the new Cannon must be like with 14FPS.

Next on my list is to figure out what to get as a carry around lens –either standard prime or (fast) zoom. Now I have a camera with such a fantastic auto focus, it seems a shame to rely almost exclusively on old KA and KM glass. Any suggestions welcome, although I suppose I should go ask that in the SLR Lens forum…

K
10-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You've joined the club Too Gene? Welcome!

So far, I've just been amazed at the improvement over previous sensors. Someone mentioned taking the K5 clubbing. Last night, I shot a costume ball for a trade association in one of the darkest, trickiest venues I've attempted. Results were great. Highlights hold, and the detail that is in the shadows for pp opens up a new world. This was bounced off a nasty high ceiling in a room where my other bodies would never lock focus. (No NR, just some balancing of the shadows and backlighting)