Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Repaired K5 - Viewfinder Dust

So having been unfortunate enough to fall foul of the shutter over-run / mirror flop problem I sent my 30 day old Pentax off for repair at the start of September. 6 weeks later and I've taken delivery of the repaired K5. I've not had a chance to take any shots yet or check things out in terms of actually using the camera, but the first thing I noticed was a large speck of dust trapped inside the viewfinder. Obviously this is as a result of the body being taken apart and replacement parts put in. The dust is clearly visible when holding the camera at arm's length or when the camera is pointed at a light surface - the contrast immediately showing up the dust. I've tried tapping the viewfinder gently but with no result. it is clear that the dust is inside the viewfinder glass. When I put my eye to the viewfinder to take a photo I can't see the dust at all, so really the problem is only cosmetic.

However, my concerns are about whether this is something which could cause problems later on within the body of the camera. Should I be sending the camera back AGAIN (3rd time) to be without it for a further 6 weeks, or should I simply accept it as one of those things, a cosmetic problem and nothing more?

I'm unaware of any way to clean the viewfinder as it is within the body itself rather than on the outside!

Any thoughts? My search of the forum came up with most people saying not to touch it yourself!

10-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you've never popped out the viewfinder for cleaning - and it sounds as if you haven't - it can be a bit daunting the first time around. On the K-5 it's really very simple to do. With the lens off, you just pull down on the front of it (there is a metal frame around the viewfinder insert) and it just swings down allowing removal of the insert. You can clean it as you would any lens with either a blower or gentle pressure with a lens cloth. This is something you may have to do from time to time anyway as, well, they get dirty too. I'm a little surprised that it came back that way from the repair shop. The last time I had a major repair from CHRIS they cleaned the sensor and the rest even though the repair was about other stuff. I think I'd talk to the repair shop to let them know about it but, this is something you should be able rectify yourself, IMHO, just be gentle.

Somewhere a year or so ago, I found a nice video (u-tube or something like that) of how to do this. Of course I can't find it now.
10-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah that is interseting, thanks for the info. I wasn't even aware this was something I could do! I'll have a look later and a read through the manual!

Thanks!
Sam
10-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toothpick Quote
Ah that is interseting, thanks for the info. I wasn't even aware this was something I could do! I'll have a look later and a read through the manual!

Thanks!
Sam
That's not going to be in your manual. Pentax would never encourage users to do something like that. Doesn't mean that you can't do it, though.