Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-5 shutter button problem ?

Ok, this is my third K-5 (first 2 had stains and a dodgy wheel) and it has been fine since I got it 6 months ago.

I am now having some problems with the shutter button, when I press it the camera quite often takes 2 pictures. I have made sure I am only set to single shot mode and have started pressing quite firmly just to make sure I am not twitching on the button so as to cause the double shot but this makes no difference.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this before?

TIA.

10-19-2011, 04:18 AM   #2

Yeah, mine does it. I also noticed the second half button press is soft and does not offer any real resistance or "click" feel. This is quite different to my K7.

It's done it from new, although new was a replacement for a stained sensor. It seemed quite well worn in (by all buttons' feel - particularly the on/off switch) when I got it but apart from the double exposures it works well. If it wasn't new then the shutter count had been reset.
10-19-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Me too as of a couple months ago. I can ensure a single shot by pressing the shutter harder and letting go quicker. Kind of goes against the grain when gently squeezing off a shot to prevent shake. But its not a fatal flaw and I will live with it.
10-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #4

I had the "2 pics for one shutter button press" problem. Very random. My shutter button first "half press" had no feel/resitance to it.
After repair the shutter button half press is much better and I have not had the "2 pics for one shutter button press" since getting it back. Not sure what they did to fix it.

Edit: Repair--The CRIS tech replaced the shutter button switch. The ability to write a question to CRIS, using their "status repair form" online, and having my question and their answer recorded on the form is very useful and the proper way for me versus talking on the phone to them. Good K5 repair for more issues then just my shutter button switch problem.

Last edited by jcp5; 11-27-2011 at 07:33 AM.
10-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They probably just re-soldered a new button switch. 15min fix?
10-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I've been having the two picture for one press occasionally, but not often. I've been wondering if I have changed a setting somewhere. If there is an electrical or mechanical problem why only two exposures and not more? If its software or a setting why only occasionally? Bizarre.
06-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
HYS
Veteran Member

My K-5 makes two shots very often.
I've expected that in the course of time the button will stabilize but it did not happen.
It is not great fault but is annoying.
06-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Happens occasionally.

06-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Not often...