Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #46
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I don't get the fuss about those 10.000 actuations on the shutter. It's a long weekend playing around with a K-5. If they had a new one, would you expect them to make 3800 pictures to even out on your first camerabody? If the camera is good, you have a good replacement.

10-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #47
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The one he sent in was broken, the one they sent back isn't broken.
By definition, the replacement is in better condition than the old one.
That's brilliant.

Let me repair your car next time. I just might replace it instead - Pentax style!
10-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Fun fun.

In general, I dont think I agree with Pentax's solution there...however on the bright side, look at it this way :

Here is a Camera with more than 10,000 shutter count, proven, tested, and used 10,000 times in a controlled environment, dust free, etc etc, and I suspect, after being sent from Pentax's technician, is probably calibrated in a better way than out of a box K5.

Its definitely a better camera than mine, I think - not that my camera has seen any issue, but there may be a stain there, I never checked - the autofocusing may be off (again, I never check - once autofocus fails me I switch to manual), and lastly, has been out in thundershowers, put on the ground, and all kinds of other rough things that you know, a camera goes through in their lifetime. It probably has less than 3000 actuation.

So while I think you shouldnt have gotten a camera that economically will depreciate faster than your old one, I think functionally it probably is better than most people's K5. (Pending new problem cropping up, at which point you can ask for a new camera).

Also...on a different point, I would like to point out that a broken camera with 1 shutter actuation is not a better camera than a broken camera with a 100,000 shutter actuation. (It does sound like a better deal at the beginning, till you realized that the outstanding issue here is the fact that a broken camera really is worthless regardless of its shutter actuation). Replacing one with the other would be an irrelevant attempt, unless there is a dollar value that can be assigned to broken camera with a specific number of actuation. (One is made out of gold, the other one of diamond)
10-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
Ok! First of all, I'm a she...

Why don't you pose your question to someone who can take action and be held accountable?

All I can do is offer sympathy.

May I suggest that you contact Ricoh/Pentax investor relations ( Investor Relations | Ricoh Global )? My daughter worked in IR for a large multi-national company. Among other things, she responded to tons of product inquiries. Questions from Corporate IR to any of its business units usually got priority treatment.

Might just work for you, too...

Cheers...

10-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
That's brilliant.

Let me repair your car next time. I just might replace it instead - Pentax style!
Do you have anything to add that actually has anything at all, even remotely, to do with the topic at hand or are you blowing wind out your arse.
10-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #51

Original Poster
Do you have anything to add that actually has anything at all, even remotely, to do with the topic at hand or are you blowing wind out your arse.
Lads, let's be nice Although I am getting a chuckle out of this!
10-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

Why don't you pose your question to someone who can take action and be held accountable?

All I can do is offer sympathy.

May I suggest that you contact Ricoh/Pentax investor relations ( Investor Relations | Ricoh Global )? My daughter worked in IR for a large multi-national company. Among other things, she responded to tons of product inquiries. Questions from Corporate IR to any of its business units usually got priority treatment.

Might just work for you, too...

Cheers...
I have sent an email via Don's Photo (bless you guys) to Pentax Canada. I will await a response from them, to see how they deal with it. After that, I will definitely look into the Investor Relations thing.
Honestly, I just wish they would have sent my camera to Japan. At least they would know how to fix it!

10-20-2011, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #53
JHD
Veteran Member

The one he sent in was broken, the one they sent back isn't broken.
By definition, the replacement is in better condition than the old one.
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
That's brilliant.

I was merely stick'n a cork in yers.
10-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #54
JHD
Veteran Member

Mokey,

What Pentax Canada did is wrong. You have every right to expect better treatment than that.
10-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
This is the key point IMO. I'd argue the case. If you have a local ombudsman/office of fair trading I'd go see them too. There's no way they can replace your camera with one that is in a worse condition.
I would be careful about defining "worse condition" as simply a higher shutter coult. Note my past post, the shutter, for all you know may be brand new. As others have pointed out, a little used but non working camera is not in "better condition".

Also, with respect to replacements from new stock, this would be warranted if there is documented evidence that the problem persisted from new. If that were the case, then I would hold out for a new unit, but not necessairly when the problem began after a year of use.
10-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I would be upset but as others mentioned there could be reasons such as counter not reset, - one has to assume the demo was in the field at one point. Hard to image a demo camera in a shop would have that many clicks ? Not sure you have any legal recourse - but as long as it works I'll bet it won't be becuase the shutter count exceeds 100,000 before you deciede to upgrade or switch or heck as mentioned at your pace that 30 years of shooting
10-21-2011, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

The only thing I want to add is, Why was someone banned for posting too many pictures of squirrels, but this behavior is tolerated?
10-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
The only thing I want to add is, Why was someone banned for posting too many pictures of squirrels, but this behavior is tolerated?
Because 1) I doubt Rupert was actually banned for posting too many pictures of squirrels and 2) the only problem I see with Wheatfield's question is that it was rhetorical
10-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
Actually the problem post was the one he was responding to not his post
10-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #60

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input....I wanted to make sure I wasn't over reacting to what I thought was not a fair deal. At this point I will wait to see how Pentax Canada responds. Don's Photo is being extremely helpful, so as long as I have a working camera at this point in time, I'm happy. BTW, it seems that the replacement camera has had the main circuit board replaced (it's on the invoice) so I would assume that the shutter mechanism has not been replaced. Therefore, this "replacement" was probably not without it's own problems....At this point, I think a factory refurb FROM JAPAN would be the way to go. Or just send my original camera to Japan. At least they know what they are doing.