Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #1

What would your reaction be to this service?

So my K5 was sent to Pentax Canada recently with freezing issues and electronic glitches. They couldn't reproduce the problem, so they decided to "replace" my camera. Herein lies the problem. They replaced it with a K5 that was a "demo" unit that has 13665 shutter actuations. Mine had only 3082 after almost a year of use. I am a loyal Pentaxian with 3 DA* lenses and a LTD- thus my investment with Pentax is substantial. So..... I feel that this "replacement" is completely unacceptable. How do you guys feel about this? Am I wrong to be ticked off?

10-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cameras have a life expectancy of about 100,000 clicks. That is 30 years at the rate you shoot.

If it was dead out of the box I might argue for a new one, but not after a year. I believe you have another year of warranty in Canada.
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is utterly BS! I would be ticked off too.
10-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If they can't figure out how to fix your camera, as long as it is still covered by the warranty, you should absolutely get a new one. I would definitely be ticked off.

10-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #5

+1, you have every right to be pissed. They should have at least thrown you a factory refurb.
10-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Please read the waranty . They do not have to replace it with a new one . But I agree that this is not a good dealwith the on they sent to you
10-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
I didn't expect a new one, just not one that's been used 10000 more times than mine.

10-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Seasoned the demo in corn flour and ship to Japan and see what they say. I know it sucks as I had my share of unpleasant experiences too.
10-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd be a bit ticked. Actually, quite ticked. While Pentax has no obligation to replace it with a new unit, it should be in similar or better condition that the one you sent them. In this case, a camera that has 10,000 more shutter actuations than yours isn't exactly what I would call a "comprable replacement".

It doesn't exactly give you the warm and fuzzies about owning a nice camera now, does it? Some people actually find owning a nice camera to be special luxury. There's a sense of pride in keeping it nice and a sense of joy when you shoot with it. Pentax is treating you like it's a hunk of plastic.
10-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

When I first got my camera I would have been absolutely pissed... now that I had my camera for a while, I would view it as getting a camera that has been well tested.
Having said that,
I dont have a copy of the warranty here right now, but doesnt the warranty cover only up to a certain shuttercount? And if so you are definately losing out.
10-20-2011, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take no position one way or the other, but note, after a year, they have no obligation to replace with new, but also note that they probably do not have a "stock" of units with different useage.

Also note, while there may be more than 13K on the clock, it could have had a new shutter installed. When I got my K10D repaired, they replaced the shutter, but never reset the counter.

I have never had cause to look at the warranty in detail, but unless it explicitly states replacement with a camera of lower useage than what was turned in, there is probably no claim.

Who knows maybe the body is newer. with a refirb you never can tell. One thing I would be ticked about is if I sent my K5 in and got the one you gave up, where they couldn't find out what was wrong. post the serial number
10-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #12
Forum Member

I wouldn't accept that! Really poor service IMO.
10-20-2011, 03:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

To me, I would think 13 is pretty high. I could see 5k-8k, much more than that and I could see a problem. It would be like buying a new car, driving it for a week (say 2k miles), taking it back to the dealership for a dead engine, and them giving you a used one with 20,000 miles on it, and saying, "well, yours was used when you brought it in".
10-20-2011, 04:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
While Pentax has no obligation to replace it with a new unit, it should be in similar or better condition that the one you sent them. In this case, a camera that has 10,000 more shutter actuations than yours isn't exactly what I would call a "comprable replacement".
This is the key point IMO. I'd argue the case. If you have a local ombudsman/office of fair trading I'd go see them too. There's no way they can replace your camera with one that is in a worse condition.
10-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
This is the key point IMO. I'd argue the case. If you have a local ombudsman/office of fair trading I'd go see them too. There's no way they can replace your camera with one that is in a worse condition.
The one he sent in was broken, the one they sent back isn't broken.
By definition, the replacement is in better condition than the old one.