Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I also use the ACMAXX for my K-5, and have been very satisfied.
ACMAXX 3.0 HARD LCD ARMOR PROTECTOR Pentax K5 K-5 K5D D | eBay

10-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

How does that ACMAXX protector go on?
10-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Sticky around the edge -- double-sided tape type thing I think. I re-positioned mine and stuck it back on after it was on there a day or so -- no problem. It won't hurt your screen or the camera.
10-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
Forum Member

Big time newbie question here - I have had my K-5 less than a day now.

It appears to have a plastic cover over the LCD screen, so I assume that we are talking about putting a protective cover over that plastic cover? I saw buyer's comments on Amazon for the GGC cover that said it was smaller than the K-5 screen and both reviewers were returning theirs.

10-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes - these stick on over the plastic of the existing LCD to protect it. The ACMAXX is made just for the K-5, and includes a cover for the top LCD as well. If you are particular you will notice they may be a pixel or so smaller on all edges, but you can peer under the edges to see all sides of the LCD. I don't consider that an issue. In general these are so slim and fit so well no one notices they are there.
I use a similar Giottos protector on my Leica M9. The LCDs seldom break, but often scratch; so these covers are cheap in the long run, if you keep your cameras 40 years like I do.
10-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I may just point out when the word sticky is mentioned in conjunction with film type protectors, there is actually no glue or adhesive involved.
The side of the foil that faces the LCD is specially treated and adheres to the LCD surface by surface tension only. In fact you can carefully peel off the foil without kinking it if you are not happy with your installation. If some dirt or fluff is stuck, wash it with warm water and half a drop of detergent, rinse it carefully, flick off the excess water and dry with a hairdryer. Don't use a towel to dry as fluff will stick to it. Now you are ready to re-install.

Greetings
10-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I may just point out when the word sticky is mentioned in conjunction with film type protectors, there is actually no glue or adhesive involved.
The side of the foil that faces the LCD is specially treated and adheres to the LCD surface by surface tension only. In fact you can carefully peel off the foil without kinking it if you are not happy with your installation. If some dirt or fluff is stuck, wash it with warm water and half a drop of detergent, rinse it carefully, flick off the excess water and dry with a hairdryer. Don't use a towel to dry as fluff will stick to it. Now you are ready to re-install.

Greetings
That's how many of them work, but the ACMAXX actually does use a sticky border (sticky part does not touch LCD screen). It is fairly easy to remove, however, and will not leave residue. It is thick and hard, not like the flexible ones that just adhere by themselves.