Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

screen protector- film vs glass

I have only had my K5 for a few months, put the glass GGS on immediately. Last weekend it broke (the protector) while in my bag on a trip. yes it was overstuffed, I do know better, I did it anyways... so now I need to order a new one and I am curious if there is any benefit to glass vs. the film?

Also, whats the correct way to remove this bugger without hurting my screen? I tried to pry an edge and ended up cracking it in another spot... yikes!

10-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
I have only had my K5 for a few months, put the glass GGS on immediately. Last weekend it broke (the protector) while in my bag on a trip. yes it was overstuffed, I do know better, I did it anyways... so now I need to order a new one and I am curious if there is any benefit to glass vs. the film?

Also, whats the correct way to remove this bugger without hurting my screen? I tried to pry an edge and ended up cracking it in another spot... yikes!
The GGS on my Fuji X100 also broke.

Dental floss works well to remove the GGS protector. Slip it under a corner and gradually work it to the other corner. There will be some glue residue to remove too.

I am using a Boxwave film protector now. It will not protect from impact, but it does prevent scratches. When you remove it, there is no residue. It can get bubbles if there is any dust on the screen when you install it.

Jeff
10-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Try using the warm air from a air dryer.

Glass is better, but will break. I have broken two this year. Plastic haven't broke, but has got some image quality issues after a few months of use.

Dave
10-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a pop-open cover/protector. It is a plastic screen, but the screen is protected when the cover is closed, and it needs to be closed to use the camera. No nose grease, either. Delkin is the maker, and they make them in a number of sizes. My K10 takes a generic 2.5" protector. The screen also shades the LCD in sunlight, making it slightly easier to see.

10-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a film screen protector. This one: Hoodman Super Hoodskins (Model SHSK 3) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews. It has been in use for 6 months and its does what I want: to protect the LCD from scratch.

For scratch, I think that a good film protector will be enough. But not to prevent broken glass IMO.

Hope that the comment will help.
10-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
decisions decisions.....
10-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
...but has got some image quality issues after a few months of use.
No it has not if you spend an extra dollor for a better quality one. Get the "VIKUITI" made by 3M. If you install it correctly there will be no air bubbles and it is invisible. Also as far as breakage is concerned; While it will not prevent breakage of the screen (nothing really will if it gets hit hard enough) a film protector will spread the force of an impact over a wider area (think of the principal of snow shoes). Therefore a given impact force that will break a screen may not be great enough to break a film fitted one. So you will always be that little bit ahead.

I certainly would not touch a glass protector with all the breakage and splinter problems they can create.

Greetings

10-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Well, I would think that as the GGS had protected your screen from cracking, wouldn't that mean that it did a good job? I have always put a GGS screen protector on my camera before I take it out to take any shots and the easiest way to remove it would be to put a hairdryer over the ggs and warm the edges and then pry it up using dental floss or fishing line.

Also if you take care and clean the area before hand, spray your work room with water in the air etc to remove dust and install the screen in one smooth motion, you don't get any issues with bubbles.
10-22-2011, 03:58 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I bought one of these at my local camera shop. Works great. It doesn't appear to cause any viewing problems, especially at night or in the shade. Make sure you get it aligned perfectly before letting it go because once its on, it doesnt want to move. Removing it will be more difficult than the sheet type, but I'm sure there is an approved method. There appears to be a very thin layer of adhesive around the edge which has remained flexible after almost two years. You can move the screen a little by stressing the adhesive, but it returns to it's previous position. Also, I haven't noticed any scratching or haze on it. I am pretty sure it is plastic. If you look at the link it seems to have some level of anti glare properties.

Amazon.com: Promaster Hard LCD Screen Protector 3.0: Explore similar items
10-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I certainly would not touch a glass protector with all the breakage and splinter problems they can create.
see thats where I'm going with this

QuoteOriginally posted by link_1111 Quote
Well, I would think that as the GGS had protected your screen from cracking, wouldn't that mean that it did a good job?
indeed it did, just curious if it did a better job than a different type would've. THe problem I ran into is that the corner of it chipped on something (since it stands out from the camera 1-2mm's) and that created a weak point. from the weak point it split across the screen.. so really, did it protect my camera, or just get chipped because of the ledge it creates? Either way I am grateful for the job its done, but want to assess my options before ordering a replacement

Snydly, I'm intrigued by your link.... might be worth a try...
10-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

i doubt a plastic screen would've offered better protection than glass against the force that cracked your GGS protector. the GGS is excellent and inexpensive.

plastic protects against scratches, but that's it. some of the plastic protectors i've used have had a slight cloudy appearance, sometimes developing over time. i much prefer the glass.
10-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Forum Member

I stuck a clear plastic plate on my screen. Personally, I consider that to be my first mistake with my K-r, the glare coming off that thing is atrocious. I'm wishing I went with a pop-up cover.
10-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i doubt a plastic screen would've offered better protection than glass
No of course it wouldn't, it's all relative. Give your screen a decent enough knock and...

I do respect you personal preference and my take on it is borne out of my own experiences and serves only to put another point of view to be considered.

Have you actually held one of those 3M Vicuiti screens in your hand? It is quite a stiff piece of clear plastic and it does soften the impact of a given force which otherwise, I am sure, would do harm to an unprotected LCD screen. And it does not get cloudy! The Vicuiti has the same, if not better, optical properties because it is less reflective than glass in my opinion. (I have seen both in bright sun)

The problem I have with glass protectors is, there is no give in the glass and a knock that an unprotected LCD screen would withstand (possibly not totally without some minor damage) can/will break the glass quite easily and when it does the chance of additional damage to the screen through sharp splinters is very real and documented even in some posts here. Additionally, removing a splintered glass screen is very tricky (even an intact one is) and if the screen has not suffered during the first impact, the chances of doing damage to it during the removal of the broken pieces of glass is almost always adding scratches to the screen. Believe it or not I have actually witnessed this and I think you will find references to this on this forum as well. Some people have even managed to break them during installation.

Some glass protectors even carry a warning: Warning: Glass product, handle with care: Do not bend, keep away from children

But as always, one has to make up ones own mind on this. For me most decidedly no glass.

Greetings

P.S. I have no affiliation to 3M.
10-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

For Europeans, this is the way to go if you want to protect the K5's LCD screen: Unbenannte Seite
10-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

After using a thin one for my K10D (protects against scratches, but probably not impact), I got the thick ACMAXX for my K-7 and am very happy with it. If anything, it probably improves the LCD viewing. Doesn't detract in any case.