Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lots of corrupted files

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

In the last shoot I did with my K-5, I had lots of corrupted files (28 out of 650). The corrupted files were spread across two SD cards (Scandisk 8GB Extreme). The corrupted files had about half of the image white with lots of colored lines.

I was shooting in RAW. The preview JPG looked fine, but the corruption showed up when I imported to Lightroom. I tried re-importing from two card readers and the camera itself. When I opened the card in explorer and looked at the corrupted file in Photoshop, it looks like they are corrupted on the card, not during the import process.

I ran a test by filling up each card again after formatting them. This time, I had 12 corrupted files on one and 8 on the other.

I'd like to believe that it is a bad card, since that's an easy fix. However, I find it hard to believe that I had two Scandisk Extremes go bad at the same time. I'm concerned that there may be something wrong with the camera instead.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

10-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

SD cards are little different from the floppy disks of ages ago. They can get corrupted very easily, so I wouldn't rush to blame the camera. I hope you are not formatting your cards outside of the camera, btw.

Also a big proportion of the Sandisk cards out there are counterfeits...
10-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
SD cards are little different from the floppy disks of ages ago. They can get corrupted very easily, so I wouldn't rush to blame the camera. I hope you are not formatting your cards outside of the camera, btw.

Quite so. Format in-camera. Buy SanDisc cards at a brick-and-mortar chain or other shop where they can be returned if needed -- but they probably won't need to be. Buying a card from an overseas online vapor is never a good idea.
10-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
didnt know that..... thanks for the info. any way to tell the counterfeits?

10-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
didnt know that..... thanks for the info. any way to tell the counterfeits?
I don't know Mac so I'll give the WinDoze routine. Either leave the card in the camera and plug in a USB cable to your computer, or (preferably) stick the card in a card-reader. It will be recognized as a disc drive. With any file browser or manager, right-click the drive letter, and select PROPERTIES. If the card is labeled 16GB and the Properties window says it's 1GB (or anything else than 16BG), you have a counterfeit. Another way is to just drag big files onto the card and see where it fills up. Again, the Properties window will tell you about free space vs used space, and total capacity. If that doesn't match the card's label, you have been burned. If you bought it on eBay, file a complaint about counterfeit products.
10-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This guide gives you some examples of what to look for: eBay.co.uk Guides - How to spot FAKE Sandisk Extreme III 2Gb SD cards

I'd suggest always buying from reputable stores, where you can at least return the item if there are issues. Too many fleabayers out there trying to scam with knockoffs.
10-23-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It's just so sickeningly common on Ebay, my rule is to Always buy memory cards from well established (read as big chain) brick and mortar stores. It just isn't worth the headache to buy them online.

Also, it's generally a very bad idea to use micro SD with cameras via an adapter. Sometimes it works, sometimes it has problems, and sometimes they won't even be recognized. This is a good thing to keep in mind when shopping for cards.

10-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some good advices here. Cards are not where to save money. It can be as bad as buyin g outdated film in the old days.
10-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
Banned

Just buy new cards. I can recommend SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Cards (32 GB) and they work like a charm.

You get the maximum in speed out of your K-5 (around 18-19 MB/s writespeed when in burstmode) and at home you get the max in speed of putting files on your PC (when using USB 3.0 port and cardreader).

Did a test on the write.readspeed on my computer:

Cards just don't last forever (no matter what is written on the box).
10-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Thanks!
10-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It'interesting . I done a search . Most problems with SDHC card reported here are from Sandisk. Everybody recommend them but.. seem a lot of problems.
I have the Transcend and many peoples I know have it to never have a problem
Could it be because a lot of Counterfeith Sandisk . They dont bother to counterfeith the others brands
10-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #12

Had the same problem. Ended up being one of my memory sticks in the computer was bad. Get the program "memtest" and check your memory.
Big bet this is your problem.
10-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by brady38 Quote
Had the same problem. Ended up being one of my memory sticks in the computer was bad. Get the program "memtest" and check your memory.
Big bet this is your problem.
or HDtune.
10-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if it is a PC RAM/HDD error, it could also be tested for by trying to develop a 'corrupt' RAW file on the camera itself. if the developed RAW is corrupt without ever being written to by a PC, then it's a problem with the camera or memory card. As long as you set the card's lock switch on before reading it in the PC, there's no writing to the card to corrupt the pictures that stay on there.

also, i recommend trying to develop the 'corrupt' photos in RAW on the camera anyways as a good objective test.

I always buy my memory from newegg, and always buy transcend memory
10-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I can recommend SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Cards (32 GB) and they work like a charm.
B&H is listing those cards as discontinued, unfortunately. But it appears you can still purchase them from the site.