Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
And as someone who spends an awful lot of time lurking on many photo forums, i can assure you Canon and Nikon have plenty of problems too. And if you really want problems go down the Olympus route....

Woody
Yes, a quick Google search of "quality control Canon 7d," brings up pages of problems from its release in 2009. You could probably substitute most any high-end camera in that search. It sometimes seems like the industry has adopted the Microsoft model of bringing it to market and then solving the problems.

10-24-2011, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #17

@Sifu: I know some have had delays in getting service, so keep us informed of the situation. Hopefully you get your camera back soon!

@JHD you were very quick to jump on this as a QC issue. What we have here is, as far as I can tell, an isolated problem type where we have no insight into the user, their applications, practices, environment, or history with the camera in question. Blaming this on poor Pentax QC is as much jumping the gun as is blaming food poisoning on the farmer that grew a chicken you ate last night for dinner. yes, it is possible, but it's premature to go spouting off against that farmer if you don't know how the chicken was transported, packaged, stored, or cooked.

Your anger at pentax for the K-5's known issues is not entirely misplaced, but has no place in this particular thread until multiple reports of the same nature roll in from users in a variety of shooting circumstances, something those other problems you mentioned all have in common.
10-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I think...

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It sometimes seems like the industry has adopted the Microsoft model of bringing it to market and then solving the problems.
I think that has been the MO for anything once the minuturization of electronics became prevalent. Don't get me started on the Ricoh Mirai!
10-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is the price we have to pay for bleeding edge technology........
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
There are many companies that produce excellent reliable products without severe quality control issues. That Pentax doesn't is symptomatic of poor management.
We need an irony emoticon.

10-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
An emoticon of a black tea pot and a silver kettle?
10-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #21
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jerm1386 Quote
@JHD you were very quick to jump on this as a QC issue. What we have here is, as far as I can tell, an isolated problem type where we have no insight into the user, their applications, practices, environment, or history with the camera in question...
This isn't the first time I've heard of this problem. Regardless, this is just another one of many problems to tarnish the reputation of what should have been the finest DSLR Pentax has made to date.
10-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Yes, a quick Google search of "quality control Canon 7d," brings up pages of problems from its release in 2009. You could probably substitute most any high-end camera in that search. It sometimes seems like the industry has adopted the Microsoft model of bringing it to market and then solving the problems.
I did exactly that and got two hits. One was to this thread, the other appeared to be some sort of spam website from India.
I know my 7D user friend is kind of shocked at the number of different possibilities the K5 has come up with, if not the volume, which really is hard to judge, though I suspect that as the number of different failures crop up the number of different units that will be affected will also go up.
10-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did exactly that and got two hits. One was to this thread, the other appeared to be some sort of spam website from India.
I know my 7D user friend is kind of shocked at the number of different possibilities the K5 has come up with, if not the volume, which really is hard to judge, though I suspect that as the number of different failures crop up the number of different units that will be affected will also go up.
Try this, "canon 7d problems ".
2.14 million results in 0.12 seconds. And I have no doubt that the camera works just fine most of the time, I like my food with sea-salt.

10-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #24

Try it without the quotes, I get 327,000 hits (but only the 2 you specified when i do use the quotes).
10-24-2011, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Modern manufacturing is like this: Pentax Corporation design the camera; they don't make all the components, many come from various suppliers. System integration is then done in the Philippines factory. Aircrafts such as 787 are also made in the similar way, but would require extensive testing before the government would allow it to fly. Since cameras don't kill, we are at the mercy of QC problem. Luckily, I skip the current model year. Hopefully, Ricoh would make a effort to reduce these problems in the next model.
10-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
2.14 million results in 0.12 seconds. And I have no doubt that the camera works just fine most of the time, I like my food with sea-salt.
It depends on your search engine. I use Bing rather than Google and got 2.9 million hits. On the other hand, when I did use Google the hit count was up to 9.95 million.

But as I wrote in another thread,"Does the search engine count as hits posts that are in fact not complaints but soothing words of encouragement or comfort to those who have complained? Does the search engine count as hits the posts of those who have never even held one of the cameras but have made a post making a gratuitous comment about it, or who are seeking assurance before taking the plunge? "

I'm certainly not going to check every hit and do an analysis.
10-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Try this, "canon 7d problems ". 2.14 million results in 0.12 seconds.
You must be using a cutting edge search engine, because plain old google returns 4,190 results.

Um, you know, you can't just throw search terms into the box and expect to get meaningful results. Your search terms without quotation marks return about 2,130,000 hits. Basic rule of searching (or of playing fair.) -- put quotation marks around a phrase.
10-24-2011, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
You must be using a cutting edge search engine, because plain old google returns 4,190 results.

Um, you know, you can't just throw search terms into the box and expect to get meaningful results. Your search terms without quotation marks return about 2,130,000 hits. Basic rule of searching (or of playing fair.) -- put quotation marks around a phrase.
It isn't that simple.

Try: "Nikon D7000 back focus problem" versus D7000 "back focus problem".

While you can certainly be overly broad in a search, you also can artificially limit the results by creating a phrase that might not necessarily be found exactly as you wrote it in what most people are writing about the problem.

For example, if I wrote in a forum: "my D7000 appears to have a back focus problem", the first search term above would miss my post, the second would find it.

If you want a good sample for Canon try: Canon "err 99"...............

Ray
10-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
"canon 7d problems ".
Come on, those terms without quotation marks? They're going to return in the results even pages with lines like "I love my Canon 7d. It simply has no problems." or "Canon 7d? Perfect. Now that K5, there you've got problems." The search was just ridiculous and insulting to present as evidence. Millions of hits! Please. And the same would go if it were being offered as evidence in the other direction.

What I'd like to know is why the K5 seems to have so many more problems than the K7. I don't give a rat's whisker about Canon.
10-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #30
JHD
Veteran Member

Pentax K5 problems = 691,000 in 0.09 seconds

Now if Pentax had the same market share of Nikon, that would = 12 million hits
And if Pentax had the same market share of Canon, that would = 20 million hits

Last edited by JHD; 10-24-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Closed Thread