Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 problems

I was shooting a job today and the K5 began messing up. First it just locked up like a computer. I removed the battery grip and the battery to reboot it and it worked fine for a while. This is the second time this has happened. Later when I would shoot nothing would come up on the screen even when I pushed the view button. Later the auto focus went a bit weird and would continue to beep and focus even after holding the button down. I would focus on my subjects eyes then hold the button down and move to frame the shot and the focus would change. Later I could not view a photo if the camera was pointed down, if I pointed it above level the photo would stay on the screen but the second I pointed it down it would go off. At one point the camera just started firing off shots, it was set on single frame at the time. I think that was all, it was quite a day, just wondering if anyone else has had such problems. I have shot just over 6000 photos with this camera, it is under a year old.

10-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sifu Quote
it is under a year old.
I would take advantage of a warranty repair until that year is up. Sounds like something's gone haywire.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

The camera is under warranty. Send it for repair or replacement if you can.

The warranty is there for such a situation.
10-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good grief, when does it end? This (the K-5) is by far the worst example of Pentax quality control. For such a niche brand this is horrible.
Imagine what it would do to Canon or Nikon if they were having the same variety and ratio of problems with one of their best selling cameras?
Hopefully Ricoh can and will turn things around. No wonder Hoya walked away from the brand.

10-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #5

I notice on the serial number thread that very few problems are reported on the most recent cameras;ie highest serial numbers. Also did you keep your firmware up to date?
Just wondering but as a pro you have probably checked that stuff yourself.
Cheers
Dick K
10-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Good grief, when does it end? This (the K-5) is by far the worst example of Pentax quality control. For such a niche brand this is horrible.
Imagine what it would do to Canon or Nikon if they were having the same variety and ratio of problems with one of their best selling cameras?
Hopefully Ricoh can and will turn things around. No wonder Hoya walked away from the brand.
What a rant, especially since many of your past postings have been pretty obvious Pentax bashing.
If you don't feel up to it to buy a K-5 or Pentax lenses, what's the point of throwing more doom and gloom?
Cameras of all brands do occasionally require repair or service. This is normal, that's why there are repair centers.
Do you have concrete evidence to back up your assertions that the K-5 is the worse example of Pentax QC?

Last edited by creampuff; 10-23-2011 at 05:25 PM.
10-23-2011, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Do you have concrete evidence to back up your assertions that the K-5 is the worse example of Pentax QC?
He reads. Readers are always subversive. We should never allow any of our members to read anything that is posted here.

10-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
He reads. Readers are always subversive. We should never allow any of our members to read anything that is posted here.
one of the smartest quotes I have seen in a while....And creampuff ---I don't have the evidence that this is the smartest quote I have seen in a while.
10-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Face it, for every one person posting of their "Problem" K-5, there is probably 50-100 people NOT posting on their "NO-problem" with their K-5. I have had mine since mid February and have not had issues with it. I've got to be around 6-7K activations by now.. think that's on my "to do" list tonight, hook it up and see what I'm at!
10-23-2011, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Or... for the sake of the fanboys, the mods could just censor all K-5 complaints and SDM problems.
10-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Face it, for every one person posting of their "Problem" K-5, there is probably 50-100 people...
...who also have stained sensors, flopping mirrors, buttons falling off, etc.
10-24-2011, 04:28 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

...who also have stained sensors, flopping mirrors, buttons falling off, etc.
This is the price we have to pay for bleeding edge technology........
10-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is the price we have to pay for bleeding edge technology........
There are many companies that produce excellent reliable products without severe quality control issues. That Pentax doesn't is symptomatic of poor management.
10-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #14

There are many companies that produce excellent reliable products without severe quality control issues. That Pentax doesn't is symptomatic of poor management.
And as someone who spends an awful lot of time lurking on many photo forums, i can assure you Canon and Nikon have plenty of problems too. And if you really want problems go down the Olympus route....

Woody
10-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am sending the K5 in for service, I will miss it while it is gone I truly love this camera. I have used a lot of cameras over the years and for me at least the K5 is the most intuitive I have worked with. I have a K20D I will be using until it is back, that as well is a good camera and I have had no problems with it at all. I do have to say that maybe I just have been unlucky or Pentax does need to work in quality control. I bought a 50-135 DA* when I bought the K5 and the auto focus would not work at all, of course it was replaced but two for two items not working. My other Pentax cameras and lenses work great though. We will see how this comes out. Thanks for the imput everyone.
Closed Thread