Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Price of a used k-5

Hi,

I am wondering what is the usual or normal price of a used pentax k-5. I have got an offer for a used k-5 with around 8000 shutter releases for 600 €. I checked the ebay and this is a very good offer.

I mainly use manual focus lenses and time to time do some astrophotography. Recently I sold my canon 450d and now I am wondering whether to buy a canon 50d or a pentax. A very large pro for canon 50d is a powerful 3rd party add-on for canon firmware Magic Lantern. I am mainly interested in focus peaking which can be used on 50d with Magic Lantern. I heard that there is some work done on pentax hack but is not progressing anymore.

The con for pentax is also a lack of tethering support for pentax bodies.

Best regards

10-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds quite reasonable to me, you can take a look at our marketplace archives for recent selling prices.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 looks like a fun tool for astrophotography thanks to the GPS Astrotracer. A friend of mine is a Canon shooter and very good in astrophotorgaphy. He skipped the 50D and got 550D for noise reasons. Nontheless K-5 is still even better in low noise performance.
The tethering is a bummer though.
10-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gorski Quote
The con for pentax is also a lack of tethering support for pentax bodies.
By this I assume "wireless tethering" is what you meant.. because I can tether my K-5 via USB cable to my laptop no problem.

10-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #5

Forgive me for being a bit of a wet blanket

While I'm sure the K5 is a superior tool for the use suggested, personally with all the various faults and issues that have shown up with this camera, I would be very cautious about buying a used one. A factory refurbished perhaps, or from someone I personally knew and had a genuine history of the camera maybe - but used from a stranger??? I would be far too afraid they were unloading a problem unit and trying to salvage their investment. A new unit has the benefit of a warranty, and the extended warranty is pretty cheap at least in the states. Buyer beware as they say.
10-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree w/Geezer.. but if the seller will give you a few days with it to really check it over and return it if there are any problems I would think that I would look into it. There isn't much that you can't find and try to duplicate such problems using information in these forums.
10-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K5 has no official Pentax support, however a third party package does provide a tethering package...Why Pentax removed it from the K7 and K5 - I do not have the foggiest idea - it was a dumb move in my opinion.

With the K5's sensor and with Pentax finally providing a way to disable dark frame subtraction, and with the GPS sensor tracking - I think that the K5 would be a wonderful astro camera.

All of that said, the problems that have hit the K5, I too would have some reservations on a used one. I am still waiting for the price to come down further for a new one.

10-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

price is good

600 euro is about 830$ (google conversion) - that looks like a good price for only 8000 actuations. New one goes for about 1100
10-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
By this I assume "wireless tethering" is what you meant.. because I can tether my K-5 via USB cable to my laptop no problem.
K5 and USB tethering, how do you manage that (on a Mac)?
10-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite frankly, I wouldn't touch a used K5 with a barge pole. You don't have as much warranty as you would have with a new one (is the warranty even transferable?).
The K5 has such a stellar reputation for reliability that not having a full warranty is foolhardy.
10-24-2011, 04:37 AM   #11

Warranty is NOT transferable. So, if you are considering buying a used K5, I would strongly suggest you meet with the seller, test the thing as much as you can, in his/her presence, and decide if you will take it or not. Stains is one thing, but other issues, such as have been mentioned on this forum, should be considered. I don't want to sound negative. I have my own stain or dust thread on the forum. Its not dust, not dirt, not oil. Camera is now with Pentax. My K5 has less than 2000 actuations on it. Still I love the capabilities of the camera.
10-24-2011, 04:51 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have read and checked posts about K-5 and I am indeed a little discouraged about buying used K-5. Offered K-5 has been purchased 6 months ago and is still in warranty. However, I can get a new k-5 for about 950 €. I also read there are a lot of problems with inaccuracy focus confirmation with manual focus lenses. Although canons don’t even offer the focus confirmation with manual lenses, there are programmable AF adapters which offer 100 step AF adjustments. Although this is not something that canon himself would offer it is still an advantage against k-5 apparently.

I would mark a k-5 as not fully suitable for my use, but the image quality and low light performance is so much better than of the 50d that I am nevertheless still very interested in k-5. Indeed I would need to first borrow it for a short time and check it for myself.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
10-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gorski Quote
I have read and checked posts about K-5 and I am indeed a little discouraged about buying used K-5. Offered K-5 has been purchased 6 months ago and is still in warranty. However, I can get a new k-5 for about 950 €. I also read there are a lot of problems with inaccuracy focus confirmation with manual focus lenses. Although canons don’t even offer the focus confirmation with manual lenses, there are programmable AF adapters which offer 100 step AF adjustments. Although this is not something that canon himself would offer it is still an advantage against k-5 apparently.

I would mark a k-5 as not fully suitable for my use, but the image quality and low light performance is so much better than of the 50d that I am nevertheless still very interested in k-5. Indeed I would need to first borrow it for a short time and check it for myself.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I think you can; this year I bought a new K5 body + grip + shipping from Holland to Belgium for about € 996,87 EXCL. VAT and the legal 2 years warranty. No stains, no mirror flopping, no freezing and no buttons falling off.