Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it in?

I don't use liveview much, but I've used it in the last couple weeks a few times and twice now it has froze up on me. The camera completely freezes—can't do anything, and even after shutting the camera off, it still stays on! When I removed the battery from the grip and then reinserted it, it worked like normal.

What do you guys think, should I send it in? Or hold off and see if it does it any more? Or just forget about it since I don't use liveview much?

But please, no K-5 bashing. I understand that anything electronic can fail/have problems, that's the risk I take when buying such things. However, love my K-5 and I'm not switching to CaNikon just because of a slight issue. So, again I repeat: please, no bashing.

10-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I really want to say it's a firmware bug, and if that's the case, then sending it in won't do you much good. I was shooting sports with AFC and continuous shooting on the other day and my camera also froze. Only happened once, but spontaneous faults like this are more likely caused by software than hardware.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would run it some more as to do a torture-test and if it happens again, send it in.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-25-2011 at 04:03 PM.
10-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had the same problem with me first K5. It locked up 4 times in 270 shots. I found that unexceptable in a camera of this caliber. Sent it back to B/H Photo for an exchange. The new K5 has never locked up on me in Liveview, and I've shot hundreds of shots. Send it in!

10-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I had the same problem with me first K5. It locked up 4 times in 270 shots. I found that unexceptable in a camera of this caliber. Sent it back to B/H Photo for an exchange. The new K5 has never locked up on me in Liveview, and I've shot hundreds of shots. Send it in!
Well, I'm more leaning on the side of Adam and Ex Finn. I can understand why you sent your first one in, but see, I've shot somewhere over 10k shots with it and never had a problem before...
10-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I really want to say it's a firmware bug, and if that's the case, then sending it in won't do you much good. I was shooting sports with AFC and continuous shooting on the other day and my camera also froze. Only happened once, but spontaneous faults like this are more likely caused by software than hardware.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I would run it some more as to do a torture-test and if it happens again, send it in.
Okay, that kind of confirms what I was thinking. I really hate to send it in because there's never a good time I can part with it and then again, CRIS seems to be horrendously slow on turn around at times. I only have a year warranty since I bought mine from ProDigital2000 so if it did have to be sent in, then I'd definitely want to know before March 2012...
10-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #7

To send or not to send...
I wasn't too bothered when mine first froze on holiday last month (just browsing images taken).

However I wasn't too pleased when it froze twice in the space of thirty minutes a few weeks ago (a lot of continuous focusing with the DA100 macro).
As Adam says, hopefully a software bug which can be corrected by firmware.

10-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I had first shot with the 1.01 firmware it came with then upgraded to 1.11, and it still had the problem. Perhaps something failed.
10-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It has happen twice for me over the year plus and more than 20k shots.
In both cases, I just took out the battery.
10-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Step 1)
Report it now; if it's an indication of an upcoming failure, it least you have some proof that it started within the warranty period.

Step 2)
If it happens once more within the warranty, send it in. I know it's never convenient. And CRIS might not find it if it happens intermittently. But if nobody ever sends their camera in for this 'common' problem, it is never going to be on record and Pentax will never be aware of it and therefore never release a bug fix.
10-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I basically stopped using Liveview altogether on my K7 because it would overheat so fast; given that the K5 is packing at least as much into the same tiny (excessively so, imo) body, sealed in with the weather sealing, I wonder whether this and other issues with the K5 could be partly caused by heat issues. Computers can start acting flaky, but in a spontaneous-seeming way, when they're simply overheating.

I know people love the "dense" feel of the cameras, but I really think they would have been better off with everything less tightly packed. My cramped pinky would have been too.