Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #1

New K5 owner

Hello all, just ordered my 1st DSLR. My wife will crap when she sees the email order notification even though she said OK yesterday........that was yesterday LOL. Ordered through Amazon fulfilled through Adorama so got their basic bundle, complete camera for $1349 and 1 yr no interest so I am happy. I read that the $300 off list is about as good as I will get through the holidays so went for it. With the freebees I am happy. I have been researching the DSLR's for a good week now. Kept comparing to the Canon 60D. Almost went with the Sony Alpha 65 which on paper is impressive. But in use seemed to leave a little to be desired. Went back to the canon again. Then saw a add like you see on all web pages over in the dpreview forums for the K5 and had to check it out. I was really impressed with what I read. I had my eyes open for a non Canon/Nikon. No issues with them but when you have 90% of the market I figure your competitors have to step up the game to stay competitive and Pentax sure seems like it with the K5. I have a 2 yr old and have missed a lot of photo moments waiting for the point and shoot to be ready to take the shot. By then its too late. Wanted something that would click em off when I pressed the button. I got that and a lot more with the K5. I read that I can pick up older 2nd hand Pentax lenses for cheap as well so another plus. Pretty excited a early X mas present for the family. I will be doing a lot of reading as this camera will do way more than I know what to do.

Cheers

10-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum and congratulations with your K-5!
10-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations! Here are a couple of books that will help you with exposure if you have never used an SLR before. Digital Exposure Handbook by Ross Hoddinott. http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Exposure-Handbook-Ross-Hoddinott/dp/1861085338...9599590&sr=8-1

Or Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. One of these if not both along with the K5 manual will get you going. http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/08174...ref=pd_sim_b_5
10-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
thank you both, I will check the books out. I have no clue when it comes to real photography

10-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and congratulations.

I prefer books in general; easier to take to bed than a desktop PC. But there are some very good websites
e.g.
Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community
The Luminous Landscape

I personally think that the former is slightly easier for the beginner; good luck.
10-26-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Stick to the green mode till you have done some real reading. This camera can yield some of the finest photos you've ever seen, but because of it's advanced feature set, it can also yield the worst if you don't understand what your doing. Take your time with the manual, and try every feature till you understand it. Once you do, the world, and all of it's wonders are yours for the taking. Have fun, and Grats!
10-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by rx2man Quote
Hello all, just ordered my 1st DSLR.......Ordered through Amazon fulfilled through Adorama so got their basic bundle, complete camera for $1349 and 1 yr no interest so I am happy.

I will be doing a lot of reading as this camera will do way more than I know what to do.
Congratulations!

Heaps of stuff for you to read at the Adorama Learning Center to start getting to know your K5 - starting with this: Product Review: Pentax K-5 from Adorama Learning Center

To the right of the page are a number of related articles that I think you'll find useful.

If you need any other advice or after-sales support, you are welcome to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com

10-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
The Cambridge site is pretty good, will remember the green mode, and thank you Helen, did not see those links yet. Cant wait for the D5 to show up. Thanks for all the replys.
10-27-2011, 03:20 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
You will enjoy it!
It is much easier to use compared to a Canon or Nikon DSLR...

All the best!