Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 noise inside?

I just bought a new K-5 a day and a half ago. All I have had the time to do so far is to start to get familiar with the operation of the lens and the body and I have a question for other K-5 owners.

When I rotate the body from the horizontal to the vertical position, or if I just hold it in the horizontal position and gently shift it to the left and right I hear something inside the body shifting around. I can not only hear something moving, but at the end of its travel I can feel a slight "clunk" through the body of the K-5.

Is this normal for this camera body? It certainly feels like there is something fairly substantial moving around inside my K-5. I remember someone else mentioning something similar in another thread, but I can't remember if it was considered a defect or if it is normal. I wondered if it could be related to the camera's sensor stabilization mechanism.

It certainly is not something that I have experienced in any other SLR and it seems to go against the solid feel of this camera that I have heard so much about.

Thanks for any insights that you can provide.

10-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this your first Pentax with in body Shake Reduction? The sensor is on a floating mechanism that you may hear move when moving the camera in the way you describe. If your camera takes photos, enjoy it and welcome to the club. If it doesn't, welcome to the club anyway and get your self a replacement asap.

10-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, it's perfectly normal, and characteristic of Pentax DSLRs. If you turn on the dust removal setting, you'll hear a brief rattle when powering it on as well. It's fine, it's just the sensor being shaken to dislodge dust.
10-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimDickinson Quote
When I rotate the body from the horizontal to the vertical position, or if I just hold it in the horizontal position and gently shift it to the left and right I hear something inside the body shifting around. I can not only hear something moving, but at the end of its travel I can feel a slight "clunk" through the body of the K-5.
Is this normal for this camera body?.
Yes this is normal. You simply hear the shake reduction system. Completely normal in your Pentax.

10-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK - that makes me feel better - capturing some images is up next. I just put it away last night until I could get more info from you guys online before possibly taking it back to my dealer if this was abnormal.

This is indeed my first Pentax DSLR with in body shake reduction - I understand the system and how it works, so it does make sense that it could produce the behavior I am feeling. The surprise for me was the heft of the shifting bits inside the body - the sensation is kind of like something the weight of the battery shifting sidways by about 5mm.

I guess I am just a bit jumpy after reading all the issue threads on the K-5 and then deciding to jump in anyway. With the camera body and a DA* 16-50mm f2.8 lens it was not a trivial investment.

I will have the time to actually capture some images in a few days and with any luck I can post and say just how impressed I am with this camera.

Thanks for the replies.
10-26-2011, 04:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

So you decided to buy it. Congratulations and enjoy.
10-26-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
So you decided to buy it. Congratulations and enjoy.
Yep - thanks, I am sure that I will love my K-5. I bought it on Monday based largely on the recommendations on this forum from happy owners. It is just too nice of a camera to pass up because of a few (hopefully) rare QC issues.

And thanks to the moderator that gave this thread a more descriptive title - I often don't do that as well as I might.

Last edited by JimDickinson; 10-26-2011 at 06:15 AM.
10-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had a sour experience with my first K5. Sent it back to B/H Photo for a replacement, and I'm so glad I did. You will come to wonder how you lived without it. It has forever changed my shooting style. I can now get shots that I would not have even attempted in the past. If Richo could just fix the QC issues, and get this camera in more brick, and mortar stores, I see no reason why sales wouldn't shoot throught the roof! This is a camera you must hold to appreciate. Anyway, have fun, and post some images.