Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

All lenses with a focal length of 35mm remain 35mm no matter camera they're on, nor who made them, nor whether they're manual focus nor autofocus nor fixed-focus nor whatever. A focal length is a focal length. Different size frames (film or sensor) see different amounts of the image the lens projects, that's all. Different frames crop varied amounts of the image, giving different FOV/AOV (field/angle of view).

All Pentax F and FA and FAJ and DA and DAL and DFA lenses are autofocus. The DA and DAL lenses are made for half-frame APS-C sensors and so won't project an image large enough for full-frame cameras. The F and FA and FAJ and DFA lenses DO project a big-enough image. Many lenses' optics are weakest at their margins; using a full-frame lens on a half-frame camera ensures that the lens' optical "sweet spot" is captured and its rough edges aren't. I own a zillion lenses; only three are half-frame DA's.

The Pentax lenses that aren't autofocus are the Takumar M42 screwmounts; the K-series (which actually just say SMC Pentax on them); the M-series; and the A-series, with aperture contacts on their bases. A-series are the easiest manual lenses to use. The others aren't difficult, you just have to be aware of how they work.

Hope this helps!

10-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #17

Original Poster
RioRico, Gabriel: Thanks. That's help me a lot.

- 99% I will take 35mm f2.4.

- About zoom lens,

I am still considering kit lens 18-55.
Advantages: real cheap, WR. I would like to try Pentax, then I can decide where to invest more (focal length, prime or zoom).
I saw amazing photos taken with "crapy" zoom lens. So my conclusion is that itís more important how you shoot & post process rather than what you sh0ot with. I donít even have Photoshop on my computer right now. Time to spend more time thinking before pushing the button and then post processing.

Any other suggestions?

- The third lens can be Sigma 10-20mm. From my shooting experience, many times I feel that I need wider zoom range.
10-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I'd take the 18-55 kit lens. It's a fine piece of glass for the price, especially the WR version. I've been using it for more than a year, take a look at my older flickr photos.

Also, the DA35/2.4 is a pretty good choice - a cheap, optically superb (for the price) normal prime
11-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #19

Original Poster
I have just bought the K5 and the kit lens 18-55mm and the 35mm f2.4. The camera feels really solid in my hands. The 35mmf2.4 seems better than I expected.

Thanks all for the help. From now on I will be around this forum.

11-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Go for the Pentax DA 12-24mm F4, use the kit lens 18-55mm and buy the Tamron 70-200mm F2.8. Both the pentax 12-24 and Tamron have superior optics. Look at the Lenses page. Both are loved by a lot of members and score well over 9 in the ratings. Good luck.
11-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Congrats...
I am sure you won't be disappointed.
You can always use the prime indoors or dim light to get lower ISO shots.
Please post some of your work here....

Enjoy photography!