Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
A more compact option would be a DA15. I traveled Spain a while back with the K-x (about the same size as the K5, but lighter) and mostly used the compact DA lenses. I was very pleased with the results. Everyone's preferences are different, but I seldom needed anything wider, and the compact size was much appreciated. If I were doing it again, I'd go with the K-5 plus the same DA limiteds. (15/21/40/70) I also had an old XA pocket film camera, which I used and enjoyed a lot.
If I had the cash (which i'd rather put into more travel to be honest) that would be an ideal travel kit
But I prefer primes

10-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
If I had the cash (which i'd rather put into more travel to be honest) that would be an ideal travel kit
But I prefer primes
Agreed on the primes. The lenses seem to come from a different budget, but if it were a choice between travel and more lenses, I'd take the travel, too. My biggest expense for travel is taking the time off from self-employment.

Barcelona (or at least La Rambla) had me a little spooked on cameras as well. I walked La Rambla mostly with my kit lens. The steel in the PacSafe bag and camera strap made me feel a little better, too. I did need the primes for La Boqueria, though.
10-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

If you are bringing a tripod with you, the Lumix will serve just fine at ISO 100. I just don't understand why you would buy a K5 for the trip (wasn't that your original reason for buying it?) and then not take it! For Italy, I would buy a DA 15 Limited, and 40 Limited. Hell, for Italy I would buy a 645D and a guy to lug it!

Have a great trip!
10-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Hell, for Italy I would buy a 645D and a guy to lug it!

Have a great trip!
Having lugged a Bronica 645 3 lenses and 4 backs plus a tripod and assorted paraphernalia through the forum, I can advise against it if no guy to lug it is available( thank god for the cold beer vendors just outside the gate )

10-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I think the 18-135 would be a great choice for an outdoor travel lens, just keep in mind many churches, museums, etc. do not allow flash photography inside and you will have to rely on a fast lens in many instances.

Rich
10-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scarboro1 Quote
I think the 18-135 would be a great choice for an outdoor travel lens, just keep in mind many churches, museums, etc. do not allow flash photography inside and you will have to rely on a fast lens in many instances.

Rich
That is often all right if you have high ISO capability and/or a column on which to brace. What is more disturbing, and discussed at length on other threads, is the number of attractions that allow no photography at all.
10-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
If you are bringing a tripod with you, the Lumix will serve just fine at ISO 100. I just don't understand why you would buy a K5 for the trip (wasn't that your original reason for buying it?) and then not take it! For Italy, I would buy a DA 15 Limited, and 40 Limited. Hell, for Italy I would buy a 645D and a guy to lug it!

Have a great trip!
Agreed!

Last fall, knowing we'd be going for 2 1/2 weeks, I sold a few things and scrounged together the 15mm, 45mm and 70mm. I also brought my 18-55mm WR. 3000 photos later, close to 2500 were made with the 15mm, a few hundred with the 43mm, 2 days using the 18-55mm due to inclement weather and only a handful using the 70mm, which I sold when I returned (focal length didn't work for me, and have it covered with the 50-135). The 15mm/40mm would be a great combo, or sub the 43mm instead for added low light work. The 15mm (or something like the 16-45 at minimum) is absolutely necessary, to be on a budget get an A series 50mm f1.7 for under $100 to go with the 15mm and you'd be set.

10-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That is often all right if you have high ISO capability and/or a column on which to brace. What is more disturbing, and discussed at length on other threads, is the number of attractions that allow no photography at all.
I was in Italy in 2001, and was never denied a shot except in the Sistine Chapel.
10-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I was in Italy in 2001, and was never denied a shot except in the Sistine Chapel.
That was my experience last year as well - a few other places had signs, which were few and far between (which I generally respected, except where it was crowded and obviously not adhered to by the masses of people).
10-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
That was my experience last year as well - a few other places had signs, which were few and far between (which I generally respected, except where it was crowded and obviously not adhered to by the masses of people).
I was there a month ago, and perhaps we went to different places, but my feeling was that there are quite many non-photo signs, at least in indoor locations.
10-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't believe you went through all the heartache you went through to get a working K5 for this trip and now you are considering leaving it at home.
Why did you bother?
10-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I can't believe you went through all the heartache you went through to get a working K5 for this trip and now you are considering leaving it at home.
Why did you bother?
No, I am taking it. My home owners will cover it. I am going to order the 18-135 lens though.
10-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
My comment was prompted by a visit to Spain, last year. However, I am seeing more of these signs than I did years ago. It used to be that the only signs were prohibiting flash. My one theory is that there are more and more tourists with point and shoot cameras who don't know how to turn the flashes off, but I could be wrong.
10-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

For any meaningful holiday, I would make sure I'm packing the best gear possible.
K-5 plus the 18-135 for would be an ideal choice for around the city, day or night.
18-135 might be a tad slow for night shots, but it's no secret the K-5 has good high iso to compensate.
10-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #30

Went on a 14-day trip from London to Amsterdam to Paris. Brought a K5 with a 2,8/35mm and 1,9/85mm prime, both m42 manual lenses. Very comfortable to carry despite walking continuously throughout the day. I chose not to bring my 50-135 zoom as I wanted to travel as light as possible without sacrificing image quality. Also brought a Panasonic GF-1 with 1,7/20mm lens for wide-angle AF.

Together they made an unbeatable combo!