Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A quick cycling video, featuring and by the K-5

Hey chaps!

This is a quick video that I shot and edited, featuring a product that friend and I were testing while filming an adventure race, the Cotton Carrier. We all seriously dug it, definitely worth looking into if you're in the market for a new way to carry your camera. This was all shot impromptu in about an hour on Sonora Pass in the California Sierra Nevada, and everything was shot on the K-5, as well as the K-5 being the featured camera in the piece, and we and cameras were all coming off of 5 days of filming the Gold Rush Adventure Race, so we were all pretty tired.

This fella sure is one tough, versatile camera. Spent one whole day shooting on dusty road in the back of a truck, and had a brown camera by the end. Spent the next day shooting in the rain all day. The day after, we were shooting the paddling section from the back of skidoos, and the other guy who was shooting with a K-5 (the rider in the video) got dumped by his driver and fell completely in the water, camera went under and everything for a good few seconds. Shot the rest of the day on that camera, and it still works fine to date. Even if that camera would have just allowed him to keep on filming the rest of the day would have been remarkable. But to still work two months after getting completely dunked is unbelievable.

Love this camera. Headed to the PDN PhotoPlus Expo this weekend, which marks the one year anniversary of me getting one, and I'm going to write up a full review, including lots of brutal field stories, real world work scenarios that went to print and lots of pics of a dirty Pentax.

Cheers, all!

Last edited by FullertonImages; 10-26-2011 at 11:30 PM.
10-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice vid! What lens did you use to shoot it with?
10-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, TOUGEFC! I used a handful of lenses, and am not fully sure which ones. But I know the 14mm/2.8, 55mm/1.4 and 18-55WR we involved. Might have been some others in there too.
10-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice job, Ben.

I still haven't taken advantage of the video capabilities of the K-5. You provide inspiration.

10-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Ben, good sense of movement, nice framing, nice colors and editing. In the first shot there appears to be a hint of jello-effect. I'm wondering if you are using a longer FL here that's causing it, or if it's the slow-mo. That aside, very nice!
10-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Very cool. Thanks for posting. (Note to self: Buy a new K5 instead of a used one. LOL)
10-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great stuff, Ben! I enjoyed the Cotton Carrier, as well as your other videos.

10-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty cool vid...I admit I have yet to make any use out of the video capabilities of the k5 but looks good.
10-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Nice Ben, good sense of movement, nice framing, nice colors and editing. In the first shot there appears to be a hint of jello-effect. I'm wondering if you are using a longer FL here that's causing it, or if it's the slow-mo. That aside, very nice!
Thanks, John. As for the first clip, I think both those factors are definitely at play. I was using the 55/1.4 for that shot, which isn't terribly long, but still can contribute to jello, and the was slowed down quite a bit, which can take jello that would bee very negligible and make it stand out more. There's also the fact that I was shooting handheld from the back of a truck. Thanks to a little to a steady arm and mostly to great SR, I was pretty blown away by how stable of shots I was able to walk away with. But still, I suspect that there was still quite a bit of fast-frequency micro-vibration, which won't cause visible changes in registration, but will cause jello, and SR is pretty helpless about that.
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, All!

To those who said they haven't yet (and anyone else), you should definitely get playing with the video mode, super fun! I was totally not about video when it first all happened, and now I'm charging hard in that direction. But regardless of you aspirations, be they large or small, I think you'll have a lot of fun experimenting with video. And I think you'll find, like I did, that you end up learning some lessons that turn around and improve your photography.

Cheers!
11-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
footage looks great i have been having so much fun shooting video with mine lately. i absolutely love being able to shoot with my old school glass.