Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #16

When you buy a new camera and you pay new camera price that does not mean a demo or return. If you buy a demo camera or a returned camera that is called an "open box camera" and is sold at a discount. This is what the Amazon Warehouse site sells at discounted prices.

The manufacturers really did the consumer in when they stopped using security tape/shrink wrap on new product. That goes for lenses to. Retailers all swear they they don't sell demos and returns as new (because it is illegal) but we know that isn't true.

Reading your description of your shutter button, it is not right at all. It is a defect. I had a similar problem with mine and had it repaired. At best this is a store demo camera that someone was to lazy to even reset to camera default settings. The $1199 price at B&H is same price you can get anywhere even from the Pentax online store. You should have no problem returning it.

Last edited by jcp5; 10-29-2011 at 07:44 PM.
10-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Did you really think I wasn't doing that?

I don't agree with you. This is not what B&H itself says it's doing. In a thread on the "Ask B&H" forum, they claim that returns are sent back to Pentax USA, not resold to another customer.
Their return policy states that returns are not accepted if an item with a counter shows 200 actuations; if a new camera already has 49 on it, that's not leaving many for the buyer to test with. When I return the camera, I will have added to that count; would you still call it one that should not be considered "used?" It's ok if they again sell it as "new"? How many people may buy the same item before you'd consider it used?
I'm not asking for agreement or disagreement, nor am I advocating a course of action.
I hope (for your sake) that your next thread isn't about the buggy K5 you just got on exchange.
10-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I hope (for your sake) that your next thread isn't about the buggy K5 you just got on exchange.
This camera is defective. Apart from the issue I have with the shutter release button, the previous user(s) may have had issues that I haven't even identified yet, since I don't know for sure what their reason for returning it was. I find your suggestion that I'm gambling more by getting another camera very strange. If the next one is defective, I'll return it. Multiple returns and repairs are not unheard of with this camera. I've factored that in to my decision to buy; I shouldn't have to factor in being deceptively sold a used, obviously sub-par copy also.
10-29-2011, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7/K-5 owners, any thoughts on this? If the jiggly button is typical, then I guess I just have to get used to it. If your K-5s have a good firm shutter release button, perhaps my copy is below the design specifications...?
They both feel about the same, nice defined muted click. 20k+ on K7 and 7k on K5. Send it back.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-29-2011 at 01:26 PM.
10-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
They both feel about the same, nice defined muted click. 20k+ on K7 and 7k on K5. Send it back.
Thanks. That's the way my K-7 is, and what I'm hoping for from the K-5. It's a great design and button layout, isn't it? Looking forward to having that convenience with a camera that I can use in more adverse lighting.

I'm bringing the K-5 back tomorrow. Now my only decision is whether to give B&H another shot, or take a walk downtown to Adorama. Not that I expect Adorama magically to have better units in stock -- it's just that B&H annoyed me with this switcheroo.
10-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

This camera is defective. Apart from the issue I have with the shutter release button, the previous user(s) may have had issues that I haven't even identified yet, since I don't know for sure what their reason for returning it was. I find your suggestion that I'm gambling more by getting another camera very strange. If the next one is defective, I'll return it. Multiple returns and repairs are not unheard of with this camera. I've factored that in to my decision to buy; I shouldn't have to factor in being deceptively sold a used, obviously sub-par copy also.
@pentup, I sure hope they will exchange and send you a brand new one. I did not read every post in this thread, but I noticed many have said that the new k-5 now comes with zero actuation count. Although I understand the return policy in B&M stores is to protect buyers from getting defective ones, but I don't like the fact that people can simply return it without any good reasons (such as defects). I rather shop in places where the return policy is not as generous, where restocking fee should apply when the item is not defective.
10-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. That's the way my K-7 is, and what I'm hoping for from the K-5. It's a great design and button layout, isn't it? Looking forward to having that convenience with a camera that I can use in more adverse lighting.

I'm bringing the K-5 back tomorrow. Now my only decision is whether to give B&H another shot, or take a walk downtown to Adorama. Not that I expect Adorama magically to have better units in stock -- it's just that B&H annoyed me with this switcheroo.
If I lived within driving distance of B&H I would be in trouble.
Never had any difficulties dealing with them, personal purchases, or for work, great company IMO.
And yes, the K7 and K5 ergonomics are top-notch.

10-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought my first SLR from them, a Pentax P3n, back when they were still in the old store near Union Square. They're almost always a pleasure to deal with.
10-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your input folks. I'm looking forward to having a good K5 in my hands in a day or two.
10-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #25
B&H Photo Representative

Hello all. I just brought home a new K-5 from B&H, and I was very surprised to find that the camera was set to a couple of rather odd defaults.
I'd like to look into this and determine what's what but need more info than four forum profile provides.

My email is in my sig. Please drop me a note with the original B&H transaction number. TIA.
10-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
I'd like to look into this and determine what's what but need more info than four forum profile provides.
Thank you Mr. Posner. I'll send that to you shortly. In the meantime, I'm happy to report that the K-5 I took home from your store today so far appears pristine and very well put together.
Shutter count of 0, and the setup screen appeared the moment I turned on the camera. (I forgot to note that in my first post -- no set up screen. I simply hadn't noticed; that's how seamless switching from a K-7 to a K-5 is.)

Also, I'm happy to find that the mode selection dial seems more firmly installed, as well as the shutter release button that I noted above. I disliked the dial on the first unit -- it felt cheap and rattly -- but I just attributed that to the slightly new design. On this one the mode dial turns more like the one on my K-7. Another detail: the flip-out lever for the battery compartment was prone to getting stuck halfway; on the new one, it's fine. In short, the first camera seemed like it was a product of a bad day for somebody on the production line.

Thank you for your kind attention.
10-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Curiouser and curiouser: my second K-5 has a manufacturing date of March, 2011; in the serial number database I see that most of the units with similar serial numbers were sold back in May; why did this one sit around so long?

The first unit was manufactured in July. I hope March was a good month in Pentax land.
10-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curiouser and curiouser: my second K-5 has a manufacturing date of March, 2011; in the serial number database I see that most of the units with similar serial numbers were sold back in May; why did this one sit around so long?

The first unit was manufactured in July. I hope March was a good month in Pentax land.
I am shooting with one with MFG date of March. She is a solid performer so far. Go shoot and have fun with that ISO monster.
10-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Go shoot and have fun with that ISO monster.
I shall! I feel like hitting a dimly lit bar with it now, in fact, but I don't want to push my luck.
10-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shooting in a bar calls at least for a WR lens, if not for DA*.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-30-2011 at 04:52 PM.