Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MartinEA Quote
Well I have decided against getting one for my wedding work at present. However, the price of a new K5 is now just £649 as it has a cash back offer on it at present. I am intrigued by this camera. I did go to my local shop and try it out and have pics at home etc. Now when I go out I really don't want to becarrying a 5D Mk 2 and a 24-70 lens on so I am going to buy a K5 and one primeas my enjoyment for the sake of taking photographs camera.

Will let you know how it goes.
You may want to check out my videos on Youtube re: the K-5 and LTD's. Also my video comparing the 5DII and Pentax mx. I switched from the 5DII and 7D to the K-5 because the "big plastic computer blob camera" syndrome was sucking all my photographic creativity right out of me...

I'm very happy now!

(But if I was shooting a lot of weddings still, the flash system would be my number 1 reason to go with Nikon, and I'd skip the D7000 because it falls on the side of the consumer accessories, not the pro accessories. I'd either pick up some D300's or wait for the next model. The Canon flash system was/is the WORST I've ever used. My Vivitar 285's do a better job. But the Nikon Sb-800/sb-900's ROCK!)

11-06-2011, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #32

I do.

I shoot weddings with both the K5 & the K20. I use two cameras because I only use prime lenses. Since the Pentax Limited primes are so small, it is easy to carry the cameras and lenses in one bag. The K5 has some distinct advantages:

1. It is small and light. I have shot weddings with Canon and the "The Brick," the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. Needed an arm replacement after the wedding. When I picked up the K5 with a Limited prime my arm shot up in the air, it felt so light.

2. High ISO is truly useable. In the past, this was one reason for going with the Mark 5D. Not as necessary now.

3. DR is all that its cracked up to be. I'm amazed how many photos can be salvaged when the flash doesn't go off, or photographers error (ahem).

4. Look of the photos. Purely subjective. There are some days when I think I like the look of Canon photos better, but most of the time I prefer the Pentax look.

5. Photos respond well to PP. The pictures right out of the camera may not do it for you, but they are very responsive to tweaking, sharpening, imposed actions, etc.

Regarding focusing in low light:

Could be better. But--- I sometimes use a Canon 50D and 60D, and they are even worse. I have found a work around that gets me through most of my dance receptions when focusing becomes problematic. I set the AF to AF-C. Set the metering to the 77 point, evaluative setting, and then set the focus point to let the camera pick. It speeds things up considerably. You lose control over precisely where you want the focus point to be, but you will get a photo in which something is in focus. Usually, it chooses the correct point. But I take multiple pictures to make sure. (This also works with the K20D, which is where I discovered the method, as well as with the Canon 50D.) The Mark 5D is clearly better here.
12-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #33
Inactive Account

I use a K5 and a K20D for weddings. The lenses I use are the 50-135.Star which is a fantastic lens. The 16-45 also a fantastic lens, I cant see any reason to go for star in that focal range. I have my daughter shoot the 55-200 for candids, she gets some beautiful shots as well but I use the 50-135 for the money shots, it is much better. I love the photos that I get with both the k5 and the k20d the K5 is my go to camera I love working with it. It is the most intuitive camera I have used that may be personal of course but it is very easy to use. The auto focus with the 50-135 is quite good, much better than the K20D I can focus through trees with no problem. The image quality is great. My only complaint is I have had the shutter problem mentioned in the first reply plus some other problems as well. At one point the camers just kept firing and did so until the buffer was full. Other times it just did not work. Then when I had it set on manual it kept changing the shutter speed, that was really strange. I have since sent it in for repair and that is another story. I asked if anyothers had problems with professional use and many have had great experiences. At this point I am probably going to pick up a D3s and shoot that as my main camera with the K5 and K 20D as backups. The K5 and 55-135 is a great candid lens. I am not sure yet but I really dont want to run into the problems at a wedding again. The K5 also acted up while shooting portraits just before I sent it in. If I was just going to shoot portraits I probably would stick with the K5 and maybe pick up another body or two just in case but I really hate the idea of probems at weddings, kind of hard to do reshoots. I wish I did not feel this way as I have said before I just love the K5 but oh well.