Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

These super zooms are getting quite good

These super zooms are really getting very good. Even the high iOS capabilities are very impressive. This Canon PowerShot SX40*HS is the best I've seen. I'm almost thinking that it would have been just about all I need for this trip to Italy.
It would cost me as much to buy my new 18-135 lens for my K5, as it would for me to buy this camera. Images from this camera look very good. I'm wondering how good these bridge cameras are going to be in the next few years.

10-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had two super zooms before getting my K-7 with the DA18-250mm (as my first lens). Here are a few personall comments.

As a personal experience, I noted a drastic jump in IQ when I moved to dSLR and I have no regret. I will not go back to a super-zoom P&S, although I continue to use a thin P&S camera as backup and for travelling light. The dSLR together with the all-around zoom lens gives me more control, and much better results. This is largerly linked with the larger sensor of the dSLR IMO and the better controls.

Off course the obvious advantage of the dSLR is the flexibility to change lenses. As I mentioned, my first lens was the DA18-250mm and it is still my most used lens: Favorite Lens: 18-250mm. The main weakness of the lens, as well as of any super zoom P&S, is the low light conditions. My second lens was a fast prime: Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4. The combo of the K-7 with the DA18-250mm and VL 58mm f1.4 provides me with a coverage that none P&S can provide me with similar IQ.

So in the future ... I see the super zoom becoming thiner and being a nice complement of the dSLR. But the dSLR cameras will retain a large sensor (hence better IQ potentially) and more controls.

Food for thoughts..
10-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
the high iOS capabilities are very impressive.
I love how spell-check on Apple devices is so ... self-aware.
10-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Only semi-superzoom I had was a Canon S3IS. I liked the camera a lot-- it was my transition between Canon A630 P&S and my beloved Kx--and the lens range and macro were quite useful. However, I don't ever see a superzoom being as fun to use as a DSLR. Less tactile, fewer moments of "what will this lens be like," and won't ever match the IQ of an SLR sensor without being as big as a cinderblock, especially if you want it to have a fast lens.

10-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know what the definition of "super-zoom" is, but a quality point and shoot like the Lumix LX5 can be very nice to have with you, especially if you have a prime on your DSLR, need a very different focal length, and can't or don't want to swap lenses. Also, I don't like to drain the battery on my K-7 by using flash, so if I absolutely need to take a flash picture, I'll use the LX5. The macro setting works quite well too. Sharp lens, extremely accurate AF. I love it. Sometimes I wish it zoomed further than 90mm (equivalent), but it goes wider than the competition. Not much use indoors, of course, and forget about getting much bokeh in a shot, unless you're shooting macro, and then the bokeh is rather harsh. And the colors and dynamic range of course are poor compared to the larger sensors. But I'd rather carry my K-7 and one or two primes plus the LX5 over hauling around a bag full of focal lengths that I might not use.
10-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Had a Nikon L120

Earlier this year I bought a Nikon L120 P & S superzoom in a pinch because I needed to shoot a job. I think that it zoomed optical to 21x. I was very impressed with the IQ. It served me well for the few times that I needed to use it. I didn't like the lack of a view finder and no RAW though. The Nikon menu system also left a lot to be desired in IMHO. I started to consider the K-r and realized that I could sell the Nikon on ebay for almost as much as I paid for it. That money went towards funding a K-r as a back up to my K-5.

I agree with the OP that some of the P & S superzooms are very viable options for good jpgs. Form factor is another consideration though. The Nikon L120 and its upper end versions feel very solid, but other superzooms remind me of my old Ricoh Mirai. Plastic waiting to explode.
10-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #7

I agree with Pentup. Personally I have the Olympus XZ-1 as my backup point and shoot (Good IQ and excellent F1.8-2.5 lens) which is a competitor to the Panasonic LX5. I have owned one superzoom (Panasonic) and the IQ was not to my liking. Canon G series cameras are another decent backup option.

Personally I would not even own a long zoom either for my DSLR. The compromises of a long zoom gives unacceptable distortions/IQ especially at the long end. I would rather do a large crop than use an 18-250 at the long end. Just my opinion.
11-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I would not go so far as to say that "long zooms" are unacceptable. The DA 55-300 has served me well at the long end. However, I have not been too tempted by so-called "superzoom" lenses. The longest zoom range that has tempted me has been the 18-135 as a one-lens carry-around solution, but not enough for an actual purchase.

I would agree that with the K-5 sensor, cropping a good prime is an excellent option. I can turn an FA35/2 into a nice fast zoom that way, and still end up with more megapixels than my old K100d.

11-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just ordered the Pentax 18-135. I think this lens will serve me well. The built in lens correction, and chromatic aberration works well with me 55-300, so I would think it would work as well with the 18-135. I think this will be a lens I can keep on my camera 85% of the time.
11-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
rhe
Site Supporter

We just got back from a week in New York city. The combination of my K-7 with the DA*70mm and my wife's Panasonic Lumix LX5 provided us with flexibility and good coverage while walking around Manhattan although the snowstorm on Saturday was more than we had expected.