Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 price drop

I noticed that I can buy a new K-5 body on E-bay for under $1,000 now. That is a huge price drop. Is Pentax being generous, or are they making room for another, newer model?
I love my K-5, and I am thinking about getting another one. But if they have something new coming out soon, I may just wait and see what it is. Anybody hear any rumors about any new products?

11-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you probably saw it from a canadian dealer (like Pro Digital) many shops in Toronto are at the sub $1000 price now, I imagine the US is waiting for Black Friday to follow suit. It's in the last half of it's life cycle now and typically would see a drop (as have all the preceding models) Electronics Rule of Thumb is always early adopters pay more if you can wait until the end of a product life cycle you save money
11-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
It looked like it was in New York, with a US warrantee.
11-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yea, the seller is in Sommerset, New Jersey.

11-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

well downtown camera in Toronto is $984 on their website and they are the lowest locally so I imagine they have jumped the price drop gun so to speak. the other sheap local guys are still sitting at 1098 to 1199 body only (but i'm sure they are matching prices the biggest dealer in canada is around the corner from downtown camera so they would have to at least in store even though they are 1199 on the web site)
11-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pro digital has new for $1049 and refurbs for $990. They even have an upscale "kit" with a DA 16-50 F/2.8 for $1819. That means you are getting the lens for $829, $30 less than I could find with a quick search. Last time I looked Buy.com had new for 1039 (also thru pro digital)

NaCl(eventually it will be where I can afford one)H2O
11-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Banned

I would buy from a legit seller. Also remember in Canada, K-5 comes with 2 year warranty from Pentax Canada. you may want to check the Warranty Card in the box and make sure it comes with it;otherwise, it's grey market to me...

11-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

if it's the Canadian product (like prodigital sells) it will come with the 1 year international warranty card in the box (no need to ask for it like in the US) and a 2 year Canadian warranty.
Personally though i would just wait for an authorized dealer from the country i live in to hit the price and not import (Prodigital sells Mack warranties as well I think for US customers)
11-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
well downtown camera in Toronto is $984 on their website and they are the lowest locally so I imagine they have jumped the price drop gun so to speak. the other sheap local guys are still sitting at 1098 to 1199 body only (but i'm sure they are matching prices the biggest dealer in canada is around the corner from downtown camera so they would have to at least in store even though they are 1199 on the web site)
Eddie1960, I noticed that the downtown camera price has stayed the same since Henry's initially dropped the price to 999 during the photo-video expo. At this price point, it is very tempting for me in deed since it would be nice to add the k-5 and my k-7 will become a backup. I have no doubt that the recent price drop has put the k-5 into the hands of many new buyers, but not sure if they are mostly upgrading like me or switching from other brands. But I do have a feeling that it is certainly more well received than the k-7 when I bought it brand new at the lowest price point which was mid-700.
11-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
Banned

Wekk at the time (with a 100 euro cashback) you can buy a K-5 here for 699 euro. Wich I considder a steel, since it is alomost the price for K20D just before K-7 came.
11-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
if it's the Canadian product (like prodigital sells) it will come with the 1 year international warranty card in the box (no need to ask for it like in the US) and a 2 year Canadian warranty.
Personally though i would just wait for an authorized dealer from the country i live in to hit the price and not import (Prodigital sells Mack warranties as well I think for US customers)
Some folks in the US may notice that the same camera can be bought from buy.com (which is a US based retailer) and shipped from Prodigital. Therefore, the k-5 may have the legit US warranty. I am not sure if buy.com will also sell extended warranty even if the item is shipped from Prodigital, but that is something that they can explore.
11-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #12

Original Poster
I guess I was really wanting to know wether Pentax is planning to come out with an upgrade to the K-5 any time soon. The price drops I've seen "could" point to that. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. ( By the way, I LOVE my K-5. I don't need an upgrade, just want one. )
11-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by CraneGuy1 Quote
I guess I was really wanting to know wether Pentax is planning to come out with an upgrade to the K-5 any time soon. The price drops I've seen "could" point to that. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. ( By the way, I LOVE my K-5. I don't need an upgrade, just want one. )
I don't think it is going that fast. I think first a replacement for K-r, then a mirrorlesscamera and after that a K-5 replacement or something above that.

For personal planning I'm expecting to use my K-5 until may 2012 before there is an upgrade.
11-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

i think the k5 is with us until the fall. we may see the other 2 before that (the kr replacement is overdue actually based on history, but it's been a strange year to base that on tsunamis and takeovers and all)

normally i would agree on may Ron but Photokina has moved to the fall from the spring and big cameras generally wait for that.
11-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was one who was waiting for the price to fall below 1k and now that it has, I've finally pulled the trigger. In fact my package arrived today Just finished doing the firmware update and have started to point and shoot to see if I can tell the difference in AF speed.

Anyways, it seems after waiting a year, breaking the 1k barrier is significant. Yes it's an arbitrary #, but it's one that I felt good about. I have a feeling a lot of people use round #'s for things like this, though not everyone would wait if it was "close enough".

I too bought mine through ProDigital who had this price for a couple days on EBAY. Combined w/ ebay bucks etc, made it even better... I don't know if it will fall further, but at this point, I don't really care. After months of waiting, it's at a price that I can afford so whatever happens from here, I'm enjoying my camera now. Can't wait to see what the extra dynamic range will offer...