Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nick52 Quote
well, I am doing Yearbook photos, portraits and general photography. The portraits are the main priority though.
One of my daughers is a teacher in a small rural school and found herself in charge of getting year book photos etc. for the school, and I assembled
the camera system for her. As a good number of the yearbook pictures need to be 'sports' pictures, this becamethe main focus of the acquisition.

We ended up with a second hand k7 which doesn't work as will in poor lighting
as the K5 does, but everything needed to be on a budget. We started out
with a DA* 50-135 f/2.8 intended for indoor sports, and a 200 f/2.8 prime for outdoor. the first go around of experience was that the school Gym was small
and the F/2.8 speed just wasn't fast enough for the children to have arms on the indoor lighting of the Gym. We paid some attention to what focal length
was actually used on the 50-135, and determined that the 50mm end was
what was used almost exclusively in the gym since the photos were taken
very close to the sidelines---- (as you would be outside the building if you weren't close to the sidelines.)

So after some thought we added a 50mm f/1.4 to the collection. While the 85's have been traditional---that was a tradition based of film size, and with the crop factor of the digtal APSC sensor a 50 works much like an 85 so this makes sense.

Since in someinstances she is also the coach, and has other duties we considered the auto focus important, because there were 'too many balls in the air' to get the focusing done manually.

Obviously not everyone gets/has to do their in door photography standing with their toes on the sidelines, but also someother members of the team aren't all bad for yearbook photos anyway, with the goodnews being that a FA 50/f1.4 is one of the least expensive fast lenses around.

11-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I've rented from Camera Lens Rentals numerous times. I've got a 35mm Macro ltd coming next week.
Camera Lens Rentals - Rent Canon, Nikon and Pentax.
+1
Reasonable prices especially if you can live without purchasing the damage waiver warranty.