Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobL Quote
I'm a Pro photographer & have just bitten the bullet & upgraded to a new K5 body.

My dilema is who was the moron in the design room who (a) decided to make the anti shake feature a menu item instead of a on/off switch? surely when you mount a camera on a tripod & need to turn off the antishake you don't need to go digging through endless menu items to find it.
Hi there Bob ....

You don't need to dig "through endless menu items to find" the shake reduction parameter.

Press the [Info] button on the back of the K-5 until you get to the second screen, select the shake reduftion parameter. you can then use the rear wheel to enable to disable it at will. The K-5 is intelligent enough to remember this parameter, so that the next time you reach this screen i is already selected and the rear wheel will act as your 'shake reduction lever'

The beauty of the [info] display pages is that you can use the rear wheel to change many other parameters quickly.

The 'morons' who designed the K-5 weren't actually morons at all, they made the ergonomics a lot better. What happened is ... you complained before learning the camera properly

11-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I find shake reduction gets in the way. It provides a false sense of security and encourages you to become technique lazy. You did not use it in the 'olden days,' no need to use it, now. As such, I turn it off and rarely use it.

Instead, I employ TAV mode with the shutter set at a minimum of 1/500s (subject dependent, of course, ie. mushrooms 1/500... butterfly on a windy day, 1/1250+) and iso on auto (80-25600). This means the only dial I need to be concerned about is the aperture control for DOF.

Works for me... Might work for you, too...
Stop talking nonsense!!

SR doesn't encourage people to be technique lazy. It allows people to use settings they wouldn't noramlly be able to use becuase of camaera shake. on the4 contrary to your claim that's acutally making intelligent use of technique.

Sure we can set a higher shutter speed and lose some ISO, but why should we if the technology allows? It's nothing to do with being lazy. Why endure a higher ISO if you don't have to?

QuoteQuote:
You did not use it in the 'olden days,' no need to use it, now

What rubbish. I can't understand people punishing themselves by limiting themselves to what was available in the 'olden days,' - It's some kind of masochism.

Michaelina2, if you are honest in your views ... You didn't use a K-5 in the 'olden days,' - so why are you using it now?
11-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I'd also appreciate said moron ....
Bob.
Nice to see that someone has taken over my place as the forum user of the word "moron".
It's like watching evolution in action.
11-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Instead, I employ TAV mode with the shutter set at a minimum of 1/500s (subject dependent, of course, ie. mushrooms 1/500
Must be mushrooms on steroids if they grow so fast that you need 1/500 to freeze them or maybe you shoot them near a tornado? What shutter speed do you use for those speedy snails?

I have shaky hands, but 1/100 and mostly 1/60 is not a problem for me.

11-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if a cable release would disable the SR? Jusy a thought. I think the menu system on the K5 is fantastic. You can just about customise everything if you have the inclination.
11-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you use 2 sec delay, cable release does disable SR. Else it does not (or I haven't noticed it).
11-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Stop talking nonsense!!
Thank you... I stand corrected... Cheers...
11-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #23
Pentaxian

My dilema is who was the moron in the design room who (a) decided to make the anti shake feature a menu item instead of a on/off switch? surely when you mount a camera on a tripod & need to turn off the antishake you don't need to go digging through endless menu items to find it.
Let's stay polite shall we? When using a tripod, mirror lock-up, using the remote, and using the elayed timer will disable SR. And honestly, except for long exposures (multi-minutes) I've never found that leaving SR on crippled my pictures at all. It could have been nice to keep the switch but if it's needed to meet a price point, I say remove it.

For the record, you could also save a USER mode where SR is disabled, and switch to that mode on the mode dial.

More importantly, the format facility for memory cards is also buried 4 menues in & at the bottom of the list. Talk about stupid!
It's always been somewhat hidden, but you should be able to work out the 3-4 buttons presses needed to reach that function.

11-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Must be mushrooms on steroids if they grow so fast that you need 1/500 to freeze them or maybe you shoot them near a tornado? What shutter speed do you use for those speedy snails?

I have shaky hands, but 1/100 and mostly 1/60 is not a problem for me.
LOL...! You are absolutely correct. In fact, I have no trouble shooting handheld at 1/15s, if the subject is not moving.

On the other hand, when I take to the field, I like to have my camera pre-set to capture the most difficult subjects I expect to encounter. A walk in 'mushroom country' invariably means I'll also see a hawk, or stag, or fox... a subject that's active, shy, highly unpredictable, and momentary. When THE decisive moment happens, I do not want to miss it trying to remember which dials and switches need adjustment from the last shot, or fiddling around with my gear. Experience has taught me that with SR off, 1/500s (among other things) is a good place to start for most subjects.

While I appreciate and welcome your observation, my comments are directed to the OP who seems to be struggling. All I'm suggesting for consideration is another way of thinking about SR that I've found effective. If the OP chooses to pass, that's OK with me... ridicule free.

Cheers...
11-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #25

LOL...! You are absolutely correct. In fact, I have no trouble shooting handheld at 1/15s, if the subject is not moving.

On the other hand, when I take to the field, I like to have my camera pre-set to capture the most difficult subjects I expect to encounter. A walk in 'mushroom country' invariably means I'll also see a hawk, or stag, or fox... a subject that's active, shy, highly unpredictable, and momentary. When THE decisive moment happens, I do not want to miss it trying to remember which dials and switches need adjustment from the last shot, or fiddling around with my gear. Experience has taught me that with SR off, 1/500s (among other things) is a good place to start for most subjects.

While I appreciate and welcome your observation, my comments are directed to the OP who seems to be struggling. All I'm suggesting for consideration is another way of thinking about SR that I've found effective. If the OP chooses to pass, that's OK with me... ridicule free.

Cheers...
I wish I could always count on enough light to shoot at 1/500 sec. So far it hasn't always worked out that way for me.
11-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank B Quote
I wish I could always count on enough light to shoot at 1/500 sec. So far it hasn't always worked out that way for me.
You are right, it does take light to be effective.... but I find the K-5's high dynamic range and high iso capabilities more than adequate to compensate for the daylight conditions I encounter (rainy, grey, heavy clouds... 75% of the time... Detroit area).

Oh... I did stop by the galleries linked in your sig. I see you are San Diego based and noticed in your recent zoo shots you used a Nikon D7000. I do not know the D7K, but I seem to recall that it does NOT use in-body SR. If your difficulty is D7K related, perhaps the OP should note for the weather conditions experienced in your area, the D7K may not be quite up to the task.

BTW: If you've not visited the Big Kitchen Cafe - San Diego Breakfast and Lunch , you are missing out. Judy "The Beauty", a real gem of a gal, is from Detroit. When I was last there, besides a wonderful breakfast, I found the setting great for street photography, too...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-06-2011 at 06:20 AM.
11-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #27

I'm a Pro photographer & have just bitten the bullet & upgraded to a new K5 body.

I've been a along time Pentaxian starting with the Super A, (3) an LX, evolving to 2 x MZ5ns & began the digital journey with the *istD, to the K10 & have been running 2 K20D's.
I skipped the K7 after testing the model, as not worth the change over, something that a lot of people also seemed to conclude.

I've loved every one of my cameras, but this latest incarnation has me stumped.
It takes great pictures & although I've only had it a week I haven't noticed any of the issues that others seem to have experienced.

(b) More importantly, the format facility for memory cards is also buried 4 menues in & at the bottom of the list. Talk about stupid!

The SD card should be formatted every time it's used to ensure that images don't corrupt & yet again we have to go trolling through the menu items every time we insert a card.

Come on Pentax, you have been making fantastic cameras long enough to know what the important features are that we users need to get to quickly, so why bury these important every day usage items way down in the depths.
Was the designer having a bad day, or did you let the apprentice out of the box for the day?

Can this be resolved with a software upgrade? If it can, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd appreciate you making the effort.

I'd also appreciate said moron getting to read this message so he/she doesn't make similar mistakes in the next model.
Think about the features that are used daily & put them in an easily accessible place. On the 1st page if they are menu items would be logical.

Thanks
Bob.
Bob, I just got my K5 two days ago and moving from the istD (I have 2) the K5 menus are, at the least, daunting, as is the manual. However, my recollection is that the D menus and manuals were just as daunting when I got my first D. With some patience, which for me is difficult because I want to go out and be effective with the K5 immediately, I suspect you (and I) will come to like the K5 menus.

As a programmer I suspect that the logic of the menus does exist and makes perfect sense when you know what it is or when you get use to it. But I, like you, wondered why the format was buried because on my D's it is the 1st item on the 1st menu and is what I use to delete all photos after download them.
11-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #28

You are right, it does take light to be effective.... but I find the K-5's high dynamic range and high iso capabilities more than adequate to compensate for the daylight conditions I encounter (rainy, grey, heavy clouds... 75% of the time... Detroit area).

Oh... I did stop by the galleries linked in your sig. I see you are San Diego based and noticed in your recent zoo shots you used a Nikon D7000. I do not know the D7K, but I seem to recall that it does NOT use in-body SR. If your difficulty is D7K related, perhaps the OP should note for the weather conditions experienced in your area, the D7K may not be quite up to the task.

BTW: If you've not visited the Big Kitchen Cafe - San Diego Breakfast and Lunch , you are missing out. Judy "The Beauty", a real gem of a gal, is from Detroit. When I was last there, besides a wonderful breakfast, I found the setting great for street photography, too...
My difficulty in finding enough light isn't camera related, it's more often location related. I'm thinking more in terms of travel-type photography, which is what I use the Pentax and small primes for. Yes, I do use a Nikon D7000 for Zoo shots. You are correct - there is no in-body SR on the Nikons. I got my first dSLR in mid-2007 (OK, so I'm always a bit late for things), and it was a Pentax to take advantage of the small primes, some of which I've had since the late 1970's (along with film bodies). I had a few Nikon lenses and film bodies at the time too, most of them purchased in the late 90's, including a 300/4 that is built like a tank. It's the older design, with screwdriver AF and no VR. At the beginning of this year I decided it was a waste to just have the Nikon glass just sit there and picked up a D7000. Works really well, for the most part. Compared to the Pentax, the ergonomics on the D7000 kind of suck, and I do miss the lack of in-body stabilization. I like to shoot mostly handheld or at most with a monopod at the Zoo. For travel-type photos I really prefer the size and balance of the Pentax, especially with the DA Limiteds. The SR really does work, and really does come in handy.

Not to take this too far off the original topic, but using both systems (Nikon and Pentax) at the same time is not really all that difficult, at least with the D7000. You can set it up to control Aperture from the front dial and ISO directly (without need to push an extra button) from the rear dial, and that is exactly how my Pentaxes are set up. The biggest difference is trying to change the WB and drive modes. On the Pentax you can just tap the button on the back and see the effect on the previous shot. With the Nikon I have to put on reading glasses and try to remember what the tiny little icons on the top LCD mean. It's so annoying that I only shoot the Nikon on Auto WB (and I only shoot jpg). Luckily it's pretty good. The drive mode selector on the D7000 sucks if you have big glass on the camera, since you need both hands to operate it, and one of my hands is generally holding the 3+ lbs. lens.

I guess everyone has differing needs when they use their cameras, but for the most part I really do think that Pentax has some of the best ergonomics, and are some of the most user-friendly overall.

I'll have to check out the Big Kitchen Cafe. Thanks for the tip.