Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K5 menus

I'm a Pro photographer & have just bitten the bullet & upgraded to a new K5 body.

I've been a along time Pentaxian starting with the Super A, (3) an LX, evolving to 2 x MZ5ns & began the digital journey with the *istD, to the K10 & have been running 2 K20D's.
I skipped the K7 after testing the model, as not worth the change over, something that a lot of people also seemed to conclude.

I've loved every one of my cameras, but this latest incarnation has me stumped.
It takes great pictures & although I've only had it a week I haven't noticed any of the issues that others seem to have experienced.

My dilema is who was the moron in the design room who (a) decided to make the anti shake feature a menu item instead of a on/off switch? surely when you mount a camera on a tripod & need to turn off the antishake you don't need to go digging through endless menu items to find it.

(b) More importantly, the format facility for memory cards is also buried 4 menues in & at the bottom of the list. Talk about stupid!

The SD card should be formatted every time it's used to ensure that images don't corrupt & yet again we have to go trolling through the menu items every time we insert a card.

Come on Pentax, you have been making fantastic cameras long enough to know what the important features are that we users need to get to quickly, so why bury these important every day usage items way down in the depths.
Was the designer having a bad day, or did you let the apprentice out of the box for the day?

Can this be resolved with a software upgrade? If it can, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd appreciate you making the effort.

I'd also appreciate said moron getting to read this message so he/she doesn't make similar mistakes in the next model.
Think about the features that are used daily & put them in an easily accessible place. On the 1st page if they are menu items would be logical.

Thanks
Bob.

11-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought like you that I'd miss the switch for the shake reduction but now I prefer the new system where you simply cannot forget to turn SR back on.

On a tripod I always use either the 2 sec self timer or remote control. Either of these modes will turn the shake reduction off and they are easy to get to through the drive menu. Off tripod I go back to one of the other drive modes, and SR comes back on.

Should you otherwise want to turn SR off it can be done from the "Control Panel" after one press of the Info button.

The menu system can be set to recall your last action so when you activate the menu next time, it will show that very same menu page. This might help when you want to format a card.

The button I still miss is the exposure bracketing button! Here again one has to resort to the control panel. The RAW button can be customized to quickly bring up the right setting, but it then takes several clicks to turn it off again.
11-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

On a tripod, you use the timer or IR remote. This disables SR.

I had the same premature gripe about the format option. However, the last menu option used is saved, so it became mostly a non-issue.
11-01-2011, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #4

I've had a K-7 for about a year now, and just got a K-5. For the longest time I too thought it took forever to get to the Format command, since I thought that the only way to navigate the menus was to use the 4-way controller pad. Turns out that you can use the front and rear dials as well - and it really works faster. Front dial moves you between groups, rear between pages. I guess I should have paid more attention to the K-7 manual when I first got it. Apparently it was there all along.

As for the Shake Reduction - like others I almost always use 2 sec self timer or remote, so it is disabled automatically.

11-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good tip on the timer or remote, but I prefer a cable release. No delay & I already have 2.
I'll have to go re read the manual on the format card & menu navigation options.
As you say, I'll probably get used to it.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess that is what forums are about.

Cheers,
Bob.
11-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

Isn't there also a quick way to get to the Shake Reduction on the K-7 and K-5 by just tapping the Info button twice, then moving to the bottom right (I think - I'm too lazy to pull the camera out) and then just using one of the control dials to change it? Also, I think it will stay at that particular selection the next time you enter the Info menu that way. It's pretty fast, and does not require going through the Menu button at all.
11-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmm, opinions differ

I agree on your point of the SR switch, although I indeed use the 2 second timer to eliminate vibrations induced by the mirror flipping up. However I find the menu a major improvement of the K10D and K100D. At least you can now see all menu items in a menu without having to scroll down.

My biggest annoyance is the location of the green button; never seem to be able to find it without looking at the camera

11-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A 3rd option for the no SR switch issue is to create a user mode that has only that changed so you can just use the jog dial to switch over to no SR.
11-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BobL Quote

(b) More importantly, the format facility for memory cards is also buried 4 menues in & at the bottom of the list. Talk about stupid!

The SD card should be formatted every time it's used to ensure that images don't corrupt & yet again we have to go trolling through the menu items every time we insert a card.
Really? I format my cards once, before using them the first time, and that is it. Never had a problem.
If one needs to format them every other day then something is seriously wrong with the filesystem implementation in my opinion.
11-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Really? I format my cards once, before using them the first time, and that is it. Never had a problem.
If one needs to format them every other day then something is seriously wrong with the filesystem implementation in my opinion.
Don't worry. Of course you don't have to reformat your card every other day. That's just a stupid myth parroted by people who are too lazy to look up how things work.
11-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I agree. I've been using Pentax DSLRs for 6 years and shot over 70,000 frames and I only format a new card once and never had a problem. I've also never had a problem shooting on a tripod with SR turned on. I've done some tests and was unable to tell the difference between SR On of Off on a tripod.
11-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't see the need for formatting cards in camera either. I've formatted mine once and from then on only deleted files with the computer after having copied them. I never had a problem with this approach. It is also more convenient than using the camera, even if the "format" function were super easy to access.
11-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I find shake reduction gets in the way. It provides a false sense of security and encourages you to become technique lazy. You did not use it in the 'olden days,' no need to use it, now. As such, I turn it off and rarely use it.
I do not (quite) agree.

It has now just shifted a bit; very good technique can get you to what ... 1/125s at 200mm handheld without SR? Add some SR and you might be able to get away with 1/60s or 1/30s.

Also not everybody will manage to get to a very good technique, does not matter how hard they try and how much they practice. SR will help them to achieve what you can achieve without SR. That's OK, everybody is happy

Lastly, and this is pure psychological, knowing that SR is there makes me more relaxed when I get to (what I consider) critical shutter speeds resulting in a steadier hand. So it actually improves my technique (I think)
11-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It may not be elegant, but the simplest and most effective way I found to suppress my and the subject/setting's movement is to use a shutter speed greater than 1/500s with SR, off. Now, I may have missed something. If there's a way to use SR to freeze subject/setting movement, I'd love to hear about it.
Which, in my opinion, has nothing to do with SR making you 'technique lazy'.
11-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree... SR can help suppress my handheld movements. On the other hand, after careful analysis, I found most of my fails were due to the subject or setting moving (like on a breezy day).

It may not be elegant, but the simplest and most effective way I found to suppress my and the subject/setting's movement is to use a shutter speed greater than 1/500s with SR, off. Now, I may have missed something. If there's a way to use SR to freeze subject/setting movement, I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers...
Use a Taser....