Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focusing Screen re: Warranty

I have read numerous posts about the virtues on different focusing screens on the K5. I have just purchased a K5 and an extended warranty.
The warranty Ts&Cs indicate that "a camera that has been worked on or modified by other than Pentax would void the warranty". I would like to change my screen but am hesitant to do it based on the above. Has anyone returned their camera for warranty repair who had installed an
after-market focus screen and was it repaired without a hassle. Thanks for your replys....

R. Burns

11-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
As per the Magnusson Moss act, Pentax will have to prove that a defect was caused due to the focusing screen modification you made. If they cannot prove that your modified screen caused the defect then they will have to provide you with warranty service.
That being said, assuming that you are going to swap the screen yourself, what prevents you from swapping out the screen and sticking in the OEM one before you send it in for warranty service? This will spare trouble for you and them both. They won't have to go throught the trouble of arguing on the warranty terms with you, and neither do you have to deal with the frustration. And since it is your camera, you should be mindful of doing it properly anyways, and not cause any damage or destruction to the equipment - I am assuming you know how to do it right.
11-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The focusing screen on the K-5 is designed to be user interchangeable so I cannot see that you are at risk by exchanging it.
11-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atlrob Quote
I have read numerous posts about the virtues on different focusing screens on the K5. I have just purchased a K5 and an extended warranty.
The warranty Ts&Cs indicate that "a camera that has been worked on or modified by other than Pentax would void the warranty". I would like to change my screen but am hesitant to do it based on the above. Has anyone returned their camera for warranty repair who had installed an
after-market focus screen and was it repaired without a hassle. Thanks for your replys....

R. Burns
While this is perhaps true, that pentax cannot warrant modified cameras, since focusing screens are optional and interchangeable, first of all putting a different pentax focusing screen in place does not define being "modified" and second, even using an after market screen, the only thing pentax has no obligation to warrant are things that would be impacted by the focusing screen, specifcally the metering, and of course either physical damage or mechanical calibration of the replacement screen by shimming.

In fact, when I sent my K10D in for repairs, (shutter replacement) it came back with a disclaimer that they could not gaurantee metering with the split image screen installed. They still offered a warranty on the shutter repair, and did not replace the split image focusing screen in order to return the camera to its un-modified state.

They are really talking about much more heavily modified cameras like those with the IR filter removed from the sensor etc.....

an after market part in the place of a stock one, where the part is designed to be user removed and changed is not a "modification"

11-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #5

I replaced the focus screen on my 5DII and it took 2 minutes. I believe that the K5 uses the same basic design. If you worry about than it keep the old focus screen and reinstall it if you need to return the camera for repair. I am going to swap the focus screen on my K5 because I seldom use lenses with auto focus and I like micro prism or split images better. Wayne
11-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Replace it before service

When the camera need service or calibration, it just make sense to replace the "aftermarket" screen before sending back to Pentax. That way, everything will be done according to Factory specifications (i.e. with the OEM screen). I always took out my KatzEye screens and have never been questioned or denied.
11-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips and Info. Don't know why I did not think of switching back the focus screen if repair is needed. Brain dead