Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-x on/off switch started getting stiff the other day, and the shutter button didn't return sometimes after a shot was taken. After 2 years I thought it must be some dust accumulation, and decided to spray some switch cleaner into, and around the button and switch.... no more problems.

11-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
I don't know how much dis-assembly is required to get at the switch but that is not something I would be confident in tackling.
Me either, mine is only 6 months old and getting shipped to CRIS for warranty repair later today. One of my concerns is the weather seals will be compromised when I get it back. I love my camera and hate sending it away.
11-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
My K-x on/off switch started getting stiff the other day, and the shutter button didn't return sometimes after a shot was taken. After 2 years I thought it must be some dust accumulation, and decided to spray some switch cleaner into, and around the button and switch.... no more problems.
Just tried the same treatment with a cleaning silicone spray and the switch loosened up considerably. Still a bit tight but no where near as tight as it was. Thanks for the tip. I have been traveling in hot, dry and dusty conditions since last November so I think I would blame dust rather than point the finger at Pentax; there is too much of that already! With a IIs on pre-order I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

Regards,

David
11-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had the shutter button and power switch start to seize up on my K-5 while under warranty. Sent to CRIS, about a two-week turnaround, on the last day of the Pentax warranty. Came back working.

A month later, same thing, sent back to CRIS for repair under their warranty. They replaced shutter button this time.

Two months later it happened again.

I suspected then (and do now) that the problem was with very fine dust from the desert environment I had been shooting in. I remembered seeing the video of the soldier in Afghanistan burying his K-5 in dust and then showering it off. Figuring there was little to lose at this point, I carefully ran tap water over the shutter button, then dabbed it dry with a paper towel.

Problem solved, at least for now.

YMMV.

I think talc-like dust is more than the sealing can handle.

11-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last word from me, I tried the water treatment as well as the spray and all is back to normal!! It looked like a very fine piece of dried leaf had wedged itself under the switch cover.

David
11-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a thought for those trying a DIY solution - maybe try working a piece of dental floss under the switch?
12-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-5 Power Switch Very Stiff

Well, I'm facing this now too. After a couple of very rainy hikes (maybe coincidence, of course...) my switch is very difficult to move. Requires thumb and two fingers to grab and twist. I tried exercising many times and then tried to work a little WD40 into the switch but no joy. Removed the cover of the camera and nothing obvious (and no signs of moisture). Couldn't figure out how to completely disassemble and remove the switch and I don't have any lithium grease so I gave up and reassembled. If I can buy a new switch assy it might become obvious how to diassemble (I didn't have an easy way to remove the d-clip on the trigger button and removing the switch wiper didn't help)... Guess I'll just leave the switch on for now.

Attached Images

03-02-2022, 12:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As somebody linked this thread to a similar new one and the last question wasn't answered:
1. That switch looks pretty dirty
2. Here is the tutorial of how to disassemble the switch:
Manual/Repair/clean On-Off-Switch / Shutter-Release-Button - PentaxForums.com