Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It cant be. Can it really be so?

I was reading Finnish article (tietokone 06/2011) that was comparing DSLR camaras.
Not to get into details here is the comparsion made simple. There is no easy to do this and its taking too much time.

Camara make Canon EOS | Canon EOS | Nikon | Nikon | Sony | Sony | Panasonic | Pentax
model .................... 60D .....600D ...... D700 ..... D5100 ......A55 ......NEX-5 .... GH2 .... K-5
Picture quality 9....9.......10 ..... 9 ....... 9 .... 9 ..... ...7....... 8
Overrall: .........9....8.8....8.8.... .8.8 ...8.4 ....8.2 ....7.8 ....7.2
Price: 950 ....750 .....1000 .....740 ....685 ....1190

Ok is there some propaganda here? Our very own K-5 even though I dont own one, I hope to some day.

11-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Those are obviously completely arbitrary numbers based on nothing in particular. I assume you meant the Nikon D7000 since the D700 is much more expensive. The D7000 also shares the same sensor as the K-5 and Pentax gets (imo) better output from it. The A55 also shares the same sensor - all 3 of these cameras should get a 10 as the output would be near identical at the sensor level. Are those the MSRP prices as well? what are the actual prices? If they used MSRP to determine value I could see that being the only real negative against the K-5.

Last edited by pxpaulx; 11-03-2011 at 06:30 AM.
11-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the K5 is more around 900€ now, w/ or w/o kit lense.

the 600d is more around 650€, and so on.

This article is a "little" (Lol !) propaganda it's ridiculous.
11-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't speak as to that particular article, but I gather tietokone is a computer magazine rather than a camera magazine. Such general-audience tests are usually meaningless (mostly) because they are looking at using DSLRs as though they were point-n-shoots. Pop-up flash, in-camera JPEG conversion, video features, etc.

11-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I wouldn't put too much stock in any magazine rating system

I recall years ago in reading a review comparing the K10D to the comparable nikon, canon, sony, minolta and samsung bodies, the pentax scored better or equal to all the cameras in terms of user interface, image quality etc..... all the way down the line, where canon and nikon were judged very poorly individually on user interface expecially, yet canon and nikon scored 1/2 even though adding up their individual scores they would have been 5/6

the problem is the uninformed reader reads the total rating without looking at details, and the advertising dollars spent deliver the overall rating, not the details.

just my $0.02
11-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There are almost as many crappy camera comparisons on the net as there are camera comparisons on the net.

Seriously, I'd never consider one of these "roundups" as a source of reliable information to base a purchase on. Even sites that are quite useful, like snapsort.com, show serious flaws. I ran into this when shopping for my K-r. My other two picks were the D3100 and T2i. The specs are in favour of the K-r against both of those, but who does snapsort.com pick as their "winner"? Right, anything but Pentax. It turns out that they heavily weight their scores based on two misleading criteria: "popularity" which they gather from the number of searches on their site for various brands (wth does that have to do with camera quality?) and "number of lenses" which doesn't take into account the incredible backwards compatibility of Pentax, and glosses over the way Canon made their old lenses obsolete, and Nikon gimps half its models so you can't meter with older lenses. It doesn't surprise me that Canon and Nikon produce more lenses, they force their users to buy them again whenever they change their body or mount! They could at least call it "number of current production lenses" or something, because with systems like Pentax there's 35 years worth of production that function exactly as designed. Even if they only counted F series on, it'd be far more than the others offer for their current cameras.

Thing is, remove those two criteria entirely, recalculate using the same scale, and Pentax cameras kick the ass of the big names in virtually every spec, as well as the totals, when comparing models at similar price points.

/end rant
11-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually this reminds me. In the summer someone saw me with the my k-m and was like you wow, you use pentax. They are so expensive. This person had a nikon. I was surprised and taken aback and then I tried to explain, but then I realised that some Canikon people are could be so sold on canikon its difficult to explain.

Another incident happened at work where I was buyin an old M 50mm 1.7 lens on the net. My colleague asked what do I want to buy an old lens for. That it is not good lens and could be broken. I said yes it could be broken, but if it is not it is the best, and for that price even great. Of course she couldnt get this. Apparently her father is a nikon user and she discussed this with him and came back that she can use her dad lens and stuff. she even flipped out at one point and wouldnt speak to me for half the day.

Now I know canikon is good. But can some be really so narrow minded about other makes?
11-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I was reading Finnish article (tietokone 06/2011) that was comparing DSLR camaras.
Not to get into details here is the comparsion made simple. There is no easy to do this and its taking too much time.

Camara make Canon EOS | Canon EOS | Nikon | Nikon | Sony | Sony | Panasonic | Pentax
model .................... 60D .....600D ...... D700 ..... D5100 ......A55 ......NEX-5 .... GH2 .... K-5
Picture quality 9....9.......10 ..... 9 ....... 9 .... 9 ..... ...7....... 8
Overrall: .........9....8.8....8.8.... .8.8 ...8.4 ....8.2 ....7.8 ....7.2
Price: 950 ....750 .....1000 .....740 ....685 ....1190

Ok is there some propaganda here? Our very own K-5 even though I dont own one, I hope to some day.
it's nonsense. And further, like all reviews, not to be taken with any seriousness at all.

Forget reviews, just look at the pictures taken with thecamera of interest and look at the features offered. Photography is such a subjective pastime/profession that no one has the right to claim any authority on what's best or worse. Reviews are meaningless IMO

11-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
the K5 is more around 900 now, w/ or w/o kit lense.

the 600d is more around 650, and so on.

This article is a "little" (Lol !) propaganda it's ridiculous.
It's also 5 months old.