Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eyepiece/diopter/eyecup question

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance here with a dumb question... so go easy on me.

On my K-5, it has built-in diopter adjustment. I wear cheaters for reading only, the smallest 1.25 -1.5x magnifications seem to work fine.

I really hate the stock eyecup (if you can call it one) on the K-5, it doesn't block ambient sunlight well for me, and I was just going to grab a basic tear drop or round eyecup. Did some google and forum searches and found a couple of threads on the Tenpa and other Magnifying eyepieces...

So, my question is, if your camera (like the K-5) has built in diopter adjustment (I'm assuming it's 1-3x magnification because I slide mine a little to the right) why would I want the magnifying eyepiece instead of a standard eyecup?

Only thing I can think of is it would help with manual focus lenses and macro focusing perhaps, but at the expense of vignetting the viewfinder and lower read-out? Or am I missing something here?

Also, if you were going to buy a nice eyecup (or eyepiece magnifier), which one would you reccomend?

Told you it was a dumb question.

Thanks in advance for any & all replies,
Eric

11-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

original diopter doesn't go to +3 it's -2.5 to +1.5, so if you wear 1.25 cheaters you are still within range.
i actually went with a +3 diopter (same as my current prescription and have no issues with vignetting. there is no rubber cup with it though and i dislike that . i've thought about buying a cup and taking the rubber and gluing it to my diopter (don't know why Pentax would think you wouldn't want the eye cup still on it) other than that though it helps me a lot (combined with a split prism screen)

looking at the Tenpa i can see how it would cause a vignette issue

i've been thinking of upgrading my split prism to the ee prism which is better from what i hear.
11-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the Tenpa 1.36 and there is a very slight vignetting in the VF, but it's totally worth it, IMO, for the added MF ability. There is a lower magnification Tenpa available, also, so the vignetting may not be as noticeable with that one. The Tenpa optics and eyecup are first-rate.

BTW, Eddie, I would heartily recommend trying a Canon S-type screen rather than a split prism for MFing. I replaced a KatzEye and found this new screen to be much, much better. Allows for more accurate metering, too.
11-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You could also replace the eye cup all together. I replaced mine on my K20 with a knock-off Hoodman eye-cup I bought off E-Bay for about $5-10 bucks and absolutely love them. It cups your whole eye not allowing in any ambient light so you can see perfectly out of the viewfinder. I wear glasses and it's much easier to adjust/set your diopter.
Seriously, look into them.

HoodEYE Eye Cup-Hoodman Corporation

11-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
You could also replace the eye cup all together. I replaced mine on my K20 with a knock-off Hoodman eye-cup I bought off E-Bay for about $5-10 bucks and absolutely love them. It cups your whole eye not allowing in any ambient light so you can see perfectly out of the viewfinder. I wear glasses and it's much easier to adjust/set your diopter.
Seriously, look into them.

HoodEYE Eye Cup-Hoodman Corporation
But they do not sell a model for Pentax, what did you purchase, I will be interested in one for the K-5, thanks
11-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I picked up the Pentax 0-ME53. It improves the magnification somewhat and is offset from the live view screen a bit short of 1/2 inch. I wear glasses and can see the bottom display in the viewfinder. It helps with manual focus. it is 1.2x magnification. There are some with better magnification available. Check out the accessory reviews. I'm quite happy with this one.
11-06-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought the Pentax magnifying eye piece (forgot the model name) and it's 1.2 or 1.25, I think.
It makes a huge difference for me in manual focusing, and makes it easier to take advantage of quick shift when using AF.
It's not optically perfect; at first stuff seemed a tiny bit fuzzy around the edges of the frame; I don't mind the vignetting; initially I had problems seeing the read-out but with practice I don't notice. No problem at all.
Unfortunately, it still doesn't block enough light from coming in the bottom; I think the issue may be mostly with how I hold the camera. Something else I need to practice.

It makes it much easier to focus wider lenses, so it was a good deal for me.
11-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I would heartily recommend trying a Canon S-type screen rather than a split prism for MFing.
Is it easy to install? Any shimming required? I hate shims.

11-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Is it easy to install? Any shimming required? I hate shims.

It is very easy to install, but yes, changing the shim size will almost certainly be required. If you get it from focusingscreens.com, it will come already sized to fit K/5, K/7, and will come with plastic shims. You will most likely need to use the .2 size. Trust me, it's worth the trouble. You can search here for a whole thread or two about this.
11-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
But they do not sell a model for Pentax, what did you purchase, I will be interested in one for the K-5, thanks
I bought an after market eye-cup off of ebay. There are all kinds on there, you just need to do a bit of digging.
11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
If you get it from focusingscreens.com, it will come already sized to fit K/5, K/7, and will come with plastic shims.
Excellent! Thanks for the info. I might try it...
12-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just wanted to follow up and thank all for their input. I ended up with the KPS 1.3x and am very happy with it.

The field of view turns out not to be an issue at all in practice, the eyecup is great for blocking out ambient light, and I especially like that the eyecup is fastened on, and can't slip off when I slip the K5 in my LowePro trekker, which is sometimes a tight fit, depending on lens attached at the time.

My keeper ratio has gone up, even with AF lenses, because I can better see what the AF is choosing to focus on, and re-aquire the right subject if need be.

Mission accomplished,
Thanks again,
Eric