Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2011, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Brief Word On Mirror Flop

I spoke with the Pentax rep at the PhotoPlus show in NY about mirror flop. He easily acknowledged its existence and told me that Pentax knows what the fix is and that I should send it in for a repair. Downside of course is I will be without my lovely camera for about three weeks.

11-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #2

I sent mine in recently to Arizona to repair the mirror flopping issue. Don't recall how long it took exactly but it was probably about 2 weeks. Hopefully yours will be faster as well.

The return form said updated camera software, checked firmware up to date, and cleaned, didn't say anything about hardware. It seems to be working fine, though mine was only had problems when it was hot out, which it hasn't been lately.
11-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
I sent mine in recently to Arizona to repair the mirror flopping issue. Don't recall how long it took exactly but it was probably about 2 weeks. Hopefully yours will be faster as well.

The return form said updated camera software, checked firmware up to date, and cleaned, didn't say anything about hardware. It seems to be working fine, though mine was only had problems when it was hot out, which it hasn't been lately.
mine was fixed in Arizona earlier this year and has stayed fixed.
11-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent post. Thanks for the update. I'll be sending my K5 off soon for the cure. Although I've learned to work around it, it is annoying.

11-05-2011, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Hi

I had the dreaded mirror flops (sorry the camera did) and it was repaired under warranty. The problem is a faulty mainboard component (Pentax I think call it a top board) and a new one was installed in my cam. Since PENTAX know what the problem is I would assume the fitted a new mainboard into your cam also. To check up on this do the folowing:

Download PhotoMe if you not already have done so.

Load a pre-repair photo and write down the following:

Manufacture Date
Camera has been serviced (has the service bit been set or not?)
Production ID
Internal Serial Number?
Shutter Count

Now load an after-repair photo and compare the above. If they have replaced the mainboard, as they should have done, all these data should be different. Also all your custom settings should be reset with the new board installation.
Since a new board should have zero shutter count, if the board was replaced there should now only be the count of their testing recorded. In my case it was 40.

If you find there is no difference between the before and after repair data then I am afraid you still have the old faulty board. They have done nothing or very little.

Hope this will help.

Greetings
11-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #6

Mirror Flops & Me..

I sent my K5 in for repair and it took about two weeks for them to handle it. Since then there has been no return of the dreaded mirror-flops and the camera seems to be working properly.

So far, so good...
11-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #7

Thanks for the info Schraubstock,

Hmm, yeah it doesn't look like they replaced the mainboard on mine, there weren't any changes to the exif info (except the shutter count, but it still in the 30k range). Here's the exact description from the work order:

Repair Description
warranty
updated camera Software to fix shutter overrun problem
checked firmware, firmware up to date
reset all
cleaned and checked to manufacturer's specifications

It could be that they've figured out a software fix to correct for the hardware fault? I guess I'll eventually find out if the problem has really been fixed. My flopping problem was pretty limited, so I'm not too concerned if it comes back, I can deal with it.
11-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I had the dreaded mirror flops (sorry the camera did) and it was repaired under warranty. The problem is a faulty mainboard component (Pentax I think call it a top board) and a new one was installed in my cam. Since PENTAX know what the problem is I would assume the fitted a new mainboard into your cam also. To check up on this do the folowing:

Download PhotoMe if you not already have done so.

Load a pre-repair photo and write down the following:

Manufacture Date
Camera has been serviced (has the service bit been set or not?)
Production ID
Internal Serial Number?
Shutter Count

Now load an after-repair photo and compare the above. If they have replaced the mainboard, as they should have done, all these data should be different. Also all your custom settings should be reset with the new board installation.
Since a new board should have zero shutter count, if the board was replaced there should now only be the count of their testing recorded. In my case it was 40.

If you find there is no difference between the before and after repair data then I am afraid you still have the old faulty board. They have done nothing or very little.

Hope this will help.

Greetings
Well this could explaine why my last purchased K-5 has an early productiondate, but is still a new one without service and a start for the shuttercount of 32. Maybe this was a send-back camera with-in the possible to do so.

Still functions great, so no problem for me.

11-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well this could explaine why my last purchased K-5 has an early productiondate, but is still a new one without service and a start for the shuttercount of 32. Maybe this was a send-back camera with-in the possible to do so.

Still functions great, so no problem for me.
Hi Ron

In my case the interesting thing was the new Mainboard they installed is dated 04/07/10 (July 2010) while the old board was dated 10/12/10 (Dec 10). So the replacement must be one from an early manufacturing run. At first I thought this is no good. My reasoning was that when a fault develops it is usually rectified by updating newer models. However in this case it may have been the other way around; The first production run boards were good. After that Pentax may have decided on cheaper components to save money (tightening up production so to speak) and so were inviting trouble. Of course I am assuming all this and I could be entirely wrong, just food for thought.

Greetings
11-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hmmm. If the issue and the solution is known, then perhaps any new build K5s should have the fix. That is, if the K5 is still in production? If this is so, then it might be a good time to buy one, and just hope that you're getting a newly manufactured one.
11-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the info Schraubstock,

Hmm, yeah it doesn't look like they replaced the mainboard on mine, there weren't any changes to the exif info (except the shutter count, but it still in the 30k range). Here's the exact description from the work order:

Repair Description
warranty
updated camera Software to fix shutter overrun problem
checked firmware, firmware up to date
reset all
cleaned and checked to manufacturer's specifications

It could be that they've figured out a software fix to correct for the hardware fault? I guess I'll eventually find out if the problem has really been fixed. My flopping problem was pretty limited, so I'm not too concerned if it comes back, I can deal with it.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the distinction between "camera Software" and firmware??

Dave k
11-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #12

My mirror flops were repaired by CRIS in two weeks too. So far, the camera is perfect.

And from WIkipedia, "firmware is a term often used to denote the fixed, usually rather small, programs and/or data structures that internally control various electronic devices." And their definition or software, "is a collection of computer programs and related data that provide the instructions for telling a computer what to do and how to do it." Since we do not load separate programs into the camera after we buy it like you would with a PC, than firmware is the correct term.
11-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Hmmm. If the issue and the solution is known, then perhaps any new build K5s should have the fix. That is, if the K5 is still in production? If this is so, then it might be a good time to buy one, and just hope that you're getting a newly manufactured one.
Don't know about "still in production." I just bought a brand new K-5 (from Amazon) and using PhotoMe the shutter count is zero, the internal serial number is 697xx (pretty high) but manufacture date is 5/27/11. That's quite a while ago if they're still selling from that stock...

Camera works great, though; this is my second round of k-5 ownership (I know, if I'd just be happy the first time around.....) and I'm thrilled with it.

-Jeff
11-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks Schraubstock for the advice on how to check to see if the board was changed. I will do just that and report back my outcome.
11-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What I don't understand is why they're still selling new (?) cameras that were manufactured in March, like mine which I purchased two weeks ago. That really surprised me. I wonder if that means I have a greater or lesser chance of developing the fault?