Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
battery grip is stuck

can someone tell me which direction they are turning the dial to loosen the grip.....camera sitting up (normal). i've brain farted and now i don't know if i'm tightening it or loosening it.

i'm going thumb in the back from left to right and finger in the front from right to left and it ain't moving.

if someone else needs a signature feel free to use the line above

11-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #2

The other way around..
11-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohanLothman Quote
The other way around..
Yup, just like loosening a jar when you can grasp to thumb-wheel. It's a normal 1/4-20 thread.
11-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that's the way i'm turning it. thumb in the back by the lcd screen going counter clockwise.

11-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

and it's not coming off?
11-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
did you try a jar gripper or wide rubber band on both sides of the wheel?
11-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
that's the way i'm turning it. thumb in the back by the lcd screen going counter clockwise.
You didn't cross thread it did you? It seems very simple to do if you're not careful.

11-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Yes I reckon you cross threaded it and if the thread has seized because if it I am afraid you will be in real trouble.

Threads are machined with such tolerances that there will be no resistance when screwed in or out. Lots of people think when they feel a bit of resistance when using a screw all they need to do is force it a bit harder. This is a fatal mistake. Try to remember if you forced the thread when applying the grip, if so you sure have cross threaded it. The grip tightening wheel should spin very easily particularly since there would never be any dirt in the thread to give you a feeling of tightness.

Good luck
11-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you are doing it according to the OP, it is backward and further tightening as mentioned.

Do it grip up, camera down, counterclockwise.
11-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Yes I reckon you cross threaded it and if the thread has seized because if it I am afraid you will be in real trouble.

Threads are machined with such tolerances that there will be no resistance when screwed in or out. Lots of people think when they feel a bit of resistance when using a screw all they need to do is force it a bit harder. This is a fatal mistake. Try to remember if you forced the thread when applying the grip, if so you sure have cross threaded it. The grip tightening wheel should spin very easily particularly since there would never be any dirt in the thread to give you a feeling of tightness.

Good luck
All I know is I have to be Very careful when I'm putting mine on. It isn't built very well in terms of avoiding getting it even slightly crooked. I think the alignment pins should be longer or something to help align it better. It's the first platform I've used the grip with so I don't know if the others are the same or not.

11-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
All I know is I have to be Very careful when I'm putting mine on. It isn't built very well in terms of avoiding getting it even slightly crooked.
Hi
Precisely, I have to agree with your observation. Because of this, shall we call it design fault, it is absolutely imperative that one never forces the turning of the screw even at the slightest sign of resistance as tempting as it may be. Always turn it back (revers turn) and re-align as soon as you feel resistance. The plastic wheel must always be free spinning before the point is reached at the last tightening turn.

Greetings
11-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm giving this one last chance.... unfortunately I think I've been going backwards making matters worse. I'm going to try it grip up camera down lens facing away from me and going counter clockwise.
11-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This begs the question....what next?
11-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I cut up a rubber ball and used that for a rubber grip......to no avail. I'm going to track down our custodian and see if his plumber hands will get this. I don't think its cross threaded as much as tightened down to much from me going the wrong way.
11-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
...Because of this, shall we call it design fault, ...
Nope, it's not a design fault but simple user error - it's called over tightening!