Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
HUH?
I think it's a typo You need at least a 32MB card to install the firmware, which is what I assume the poster in post #29 was referring to.

QuoteQuote:
Blank, formatted SD/SDHC card (32MB or more)


02-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: GermantownHills, IL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12
You are correct. I ment to say 32MB. My mind was going faster then my fingers.
02-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #33
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Lasher Quote
Reponding tothe K-5 not handling the SDXC media cards. The problemlies in the FIRMWARE version. I had the same problem, Researched and found that my K-5 Firmware was version 1.01. Google pentax firmware downloads and get the latest firmware version 1.12 and download to your computer. Follow the instructions to upgrade your firmware. You willneed a 32GB media card to handle the upgrade.
Tony,

I wondered whether or not the problems associated with deletions and 64gb cards would be solved via 1.12. My added
3rd k5 body I bought had v1.11. Obviously it didn't work. Calling Pentax this morning they checked the Japanese site and said that there were still bugs in the sdxc firmware. If there are bugs still with the various permutations in capture/delete/jpeg/raw then perhaps just sticking with 32gb sdhc cards is the answer for now.

Is it documented that 32gb sdxc absolutely works with all capture/download issues? Pentax USA seems unaware

Stephen
02-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
Thanks everyone - this thread was helpful to me in several ways. It saved me tracking down the Pentax location to download the firmware and locating the procedure for installing it. I love the support and inspiration available on this forum!

I have had several memory card errors using a 16 GB SDHC card - where I have captured images that did not end up getting written to the card. Of course this reminded me that I have been a slug and had never updated the firmware on my camera. I was still running V 1.01, which was not advertised as even supporting my card. Hopefully this will fix these problems, since I love my K-5 otherwise.

And why would I hesitate to update the firmware on my camera? Mainly because I write software for a living and I have learned to never fully trust any software, since it pretty much all has issues on some levels. I like to wait and see reports of happy users installing critical software before taking the leap myself.

04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #35
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 77
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Tony,

... Calling Pentax this morning they checked the Japanese site and said that there were still bugs in the sdxc firmware....

Stephen
I'm using Lexar 64GB SDXC. In order to format this card , I had to use my old K-x while K-5 couldn't do this job properly.

I believe that there is a problem with SDXC firmware , whatever it is 1.01 or 1.12 . I always have some corrupted images .

But I found that there is a way to minimise files going corrupted by setting K-5 with RAW+JPG . So far, I have some corrupted JPG files but most RAW (DNG) files are OK . If my K-5 is set with either only RAW or only JPEG , there will be more corrupted images.

I'm still waiting for Pentax releasing SDXC-fixed firmware .

Last update:
Just know Pentax released firmware version 1.13 few weeks ago.
Hope it complete closing this thread.

Last edited by pTom; 04-03-2012 at 06:18 PM.
04-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #36
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by pTom Quote
I'm still waiting for Pentax releasing SDXC-fixed firmware .

Last update:
Just know Pentax released firmware version 1.13 few weeks ago.
Hope it complete closing this thread.
Would be great to here your experience with firmware 1.13.
04-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
I think that a with firmware 1.13 the problem was solved. I recently used the Lexar 64gb and 32gbs while out west recently and they worked perfectly.

Last edited by SCGushue; 04-09-2012 at 06:20 PM.
04-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #38
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: GermantownHills, IL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12
I'm using Kingston 64GB class 10 SDXC card and I am on 1.12 firmware. I have not experienced any corrupted files todate. I keep my fingers crossed tho.


Last edited by cableguy; 04-25-2012 at 05:26 PM.
04-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #39
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
I had one bad shot with a Sandisk 64GB UHS-I card, but then I also had 255 others over a variety of situations that were fine so I'll have to do more testing.
04-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #40
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 77
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Would be great to here your experience with firmware 1.13.
Not any problem so far
I believe it's fixed.

Thanks all for raising this problem and now releasing my "stress" when I have to sure "this shot" can not be missed
04-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #41
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
In my wanderings through the Pentax site, I think I recall that while 1.13 will correct SDXC problems it will not necessarily work with the UHS -1 cards. The programmers have not dealt with those cards to date.

Stephen
04-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #42
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40-55'-44" N / 73-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,102
This thread is awesome! Was about to buy a SDHC card from B&H's one day special ... then decided I'd get an SDXC ... then read this thread and thought never mind that ... then see now that I can.

And, my question about UHS support which is what actually brought me to this thread, is answered too!
10-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #43
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Not smooth sailing

When the Sandisk extreme pro 64Gb was announced, I read the appropriate threads, and after checking my firmware, V1.13, bought one, and a 32Gb for just in case. I formatted it in my K5, took a few shots (raw + jpeg), including a Superb Parrot which don't usually appear until about mid december, on my morning walk. I wanted to broadcast my Superb Parrot shot, so I transferred the card to my new Sandisk Imagemate all-in-one card reader but was unsuccessful in downloading it's contents to my pc with xp os. I am sure I followed the appropriate procedure for safely removing hardware, as I lost a card a few years ago by removing it without following correct procedure, however, when I put it in the camera, the card needed to be formatted, and all images were lost from the card. Fortunately I was able to recover all but the last raw image.
I reformatted the card, took more images, deleted some, looked at all of them in camera - with some zooming - and all was good.
My attempt to download the images to my pc using Silkypix were unsuccessful as the programme wouldn't recognize my camera. I then tried the card reader, but my pc wanted to format the card.
I put the card back in the camera and was very relieved to find all images were intact. However, I was frustrated with my inability to do anything with them. In desperation I put the card in my Asus tablet, running Android 4.0.3, and was able to copy it to the ssd and then from that to a usb stick which was then quite happily read by my pc.
So now I can access my images out of the camera, but it is not straightforward. I just noticed that I am running Silkypix 4.30, so will update that to v4.35 and see if there is any improvement, although card issues aren't mentioned.
10-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #44
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by pbaid Quote
When the Sandisk extreme pro 64Gb was announced, I read the appropriate threads, and after checking my firmware, V1.13, bought one, and a 32Gb for just in case. I formatted it in my K5, took a few shots (raw + jpeg), including a Superb Parrot which don't usually appear until about mid december, on my morning walk. I wanted to broadcast my Superb Parrot shot, so I transferred the card to my new Sandisk Imagemate all-in-one card reader but was unsuccessful in downloading it's contents to my pc with xp os. I am sure I followed the appropriate procedure for safely removing hardware, as I lost a card a few years ago by removing it without following correct procedure, however, when I put it in the camera, the card needed to be formatted, and all images were lost from the card. Fortunately I was able to recover all but the last raw image.
I reformatted the card, took more images, deleted some, looked at all of them in camera - with some zooming - and all was good.
My attempt to download the images to my pc using Silkypix were unsuccessful as the programme wouldn't recognize my camera. I then tried the card reader, but my pc wanted to format the card.
I put the card back in the camera and was very relieved to find all images were intact. However, I was frustrated with my inability to do anything with them. In desperation I put the card in my Asus tablet, running Android 4.0.3, and was able to copy it to the ssd and then from that to a usb stick which was then quite happily read by my pc.
So now I can access my images out of the camera, but it is not straightforward. I just noticed that I am running Silkypix 4.30, so will update that to v4.35 and see if there is any improvement, although card issues aren't mentioned.
If that's an older Imagemate All-In-One, are you sure it's compatible with SDXC?
10-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #45
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,573
QuoteOriginally posted by pbaid Quote
My attempt to download the images to my pc using Silkypix were unsuccessful as the programme wouldn't recognize my camera. I then tried the card reader, but my pc wanted to format the card.
I put the card back in the camera and was very relieved to find all images were intact. However, I was frustrated with my inability to do anything with them. In desperation I put the card in my Asus tablet, running Android 4.0.3, and was able to copy it to the ssd and then from that to a usb stick which was then quite happily read by my pc.
Why are you making everything so hard for yourself? What's wrong with using the USB cable supplied with the camera:

- turn off camera
- plug USB cable into camera
- plug other end of cable into computer
- turn on camera
- XP recognises the camera as a disk drive
- use Windows Explorer to directly copy K-5 images from the camera to HDD

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If that's an older Imagemate All-In-One, are you sure it's compatible with SDXC?
That's what I was thinking.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, card, dslr, jpeg, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, shots, test
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with the memory cards!! Pepe Guitarra Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 10-03-2011 08:48 AM
K-5 and SDXC KeesdH Pentax K-5 10 02-11-2011 04:20 PM
with SDXC...are you ready for 1TB or more memory cards? Reportage Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 10-08-2010 09:06 AM
K7 video and Memory cards, or how to fix a 720P problem nakey Video and Pentax HDSLRs 53 09-28-2009 12:12 PM
SDXC memory cards announced, with a size limit of 2TB Red Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 0 01-12-2009 11:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top