Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

A few questions from a new K5 owner

I just received a K5 for my birthday Friday and have a quick question for current owners. I have two *istD's that I have been using and am trying to get to a point with the K5 so I can start messing around with it without having to read its huge manual from cover to cover. The first thing I noticed is that when the K5 is set to "green mode" I cannot shoot using RAW. On my D's I use the "green mode" quite a bit and assumed that they would be very similar if not the same. So, what would be the best way to get up and running on the K5 after using D's for so long without becoming a K5 expert? The one requirement that I have is that I shoot using RAW format. Also, what are the opinions about using PEF versus DNG? Any real difference? I convert all of my PEF files now to DNG using Lightroom. Any reason not to continue that? I am really looking forward to using the K5 but the manual appears daunting to read.

11-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Happy Birthday.

Try using the "P" setting, (Much better than green). There is no substitute for reading the manual.

Liz in Calgary
11-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Being a "Manly Man", I have always subscribed to the theory that real men don't read instructions. In the K-5's case, I rescind that belief. This camera is light years ahead of what you were using, and reading the manual (while playing with the camera of course) is a must.
11-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
I agree with both of you that reading the manual is essential. However, I was looking for a quick path to just begin playing with it and I thought the Green Mode was it since I assumed it would be the same as on the D. And what really got me was that the Green mode on the K5 prohibited the use of RAW. I have to admit that makes zero sense to me.

11-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding the question on PEF and DNG: There is no difference in quality - both formats represents the raw data from the sensor. Using DNG has the advantage over PEF that you can skip the conversion step from PEF to DNG, and that even older versions of imaging software can read the K-5 DNG files whereas you may need to upgrade the software in order to read PEF from the K-5.
11-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The purpose of Green mode is "everything auto, let the camera decide".

Many of the options are unavailable in Green mode - just switch to Green and look through the menu. You can't even switch the top LCD backlight off!

RAW is for people that want to make their own decisions about what happens to their image. As Liz said, use P if you want a good compromise between 'everything auto' and 'I know enough to make my own decisions".

I can't see any benefit of PEF any more. On the K10D, PEFs were much smaller than DNGs, and I used them exclusively. K-5 PEFs can't be read by Picasa or any version of ACR compatible with CS3, and there's no file-size benefit. I've switched to DNG with the K-5.

The manual is thick, but the pages are small. It's no harder to read than others, so go to it
11-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larrycook99 Quote
I agree with both of you that reading the manual is essential. However, I was looking for a quick path to just begin playing with it and I thought the Green Mode was it since I assumed it would be the same as on the D. And what really got me was that the Green mode on the K5 prohibited the use of RAW. I have to admit that makes zero sense to me.
Green mode is dummy proof automatic. That means jpeg files as well.
Not everyone can open a raw file, but every computer comes packed with software that will allow viewing of jpegs.

11-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You will need to read the manual. I sat down and read it before using the camera and promptly forgot everything. As questions arose (why the *($&&$ doesn't this...) the manual has the answers.

For a start, read from page 100 on about the exposure modes. Gives a good basis on how to get it working, and a good place to start when looking for answers.
11-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use P. Use DNG. Read the manual when you get around to it.